2500 or 3000 Shimano spinning reel?

V
Veiði
A little background on me. I am new to fishing in general, I just started fishing last spring. I don't know anybody in my area who does any fishing, so everything I've learned up to this point has been the result of either me reading or talking with other fisherman I run into. Thus far my experience is limited to rainbows in stocked lakes, which is better than nothing, but I want more. Decided awhile back I want to go for steelhead due to the challenge. I've been reading up on tons of stuff on steelies for about a month now, which is actually how I ended up stumbling upon this fine forum, trying to find any info to help me on the steelhead thread pertaining to gear & techniques. Which brings me to my question.

My lurking around on this thread has brought me to the conclusion I want to get a shimano spinning reel. But where I need help is whether I should go for the 2500 or 3000 series. I totally get the advantage of the 3000 series is bigger line lb test, but like the idea of going with the smaller 2500 for more of a fight. I guess what I am mainly worried about here is- if I go with the 2500 am I limiting myself? In one of the posts on this thread I recall seeing a member say he uses 6# line for spring/summer steely, while going with 8# or 10# for winter- which wouldn't be feasible on the 2500. Would I be alright going for winter steely with 6# on the 2500, or if I am looking for a good year round reel should I go with the 3000?

I'll go ahead & apologize in advance for any obvious newbie mistakes I may have posted. As I said, up to this point I've had no one to help me so I've learned the majority of my knowledge on my own via reading. Also, thanks in advance for your time & suggestions.

V
Veiði
I guess I should also specify I am talking in terms of mono line. Braided is a beast I would prefer to wait to try out once I get more experience under my belt.

D
DrTheopolis
I believe the 2500's are rated for 6-10# (my ancient Stradic is, anyway). Great all around steelhead reels.

V
Veiði
Well, don't I feel foolish. I was looking at the stradic 2500FJ on amazon and it has it mislabeled as 2-6#. After you commented I checked on another site and you are correct, it's 6-10#. :/

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

S
SteelyDan's
I'd say go with the 3000. You probably won't notice much difference but will have that little extra line available. Plus you can go a little bigger for winters 12# is what I like to use.

V
Veiði
Yogidabear said:
Both reels are exactly the same size only the spools are different, that being said I have a shimano stradic ci4 3000 with Nanofil line and got spooled by a very large steelhead last week I could see the bottom of my spool with 125 yrds of line on it. I managed to land the native fish. without a doubt I would go with the 3000.

go check the specs http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/spinning/stradic-ci4.html

Good to know, thanks!

V
Veiði
As for the stradic ci4, that's definitely not happening at present due to price. I was hoping for a stradic FJ, unfortunately the wife swung the ban hammer down on that. For now i'm gonna have to settle with a sedona with the intent to upgrade to a stradic at a later point in time. But as it stands now I need all new gear for steelhead, & the wife isn't going to let me get a $170-$180 reel in addition to a rod along with all the extra trimmings I'll need to land a steelhead.

I guess "allowance limits" for the fun stuff is one of those things that happen when you're married with a little one. :p

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Keep a watch in the for sale area here lots of great deals pop up. :thumb:

V
Veiði
So here's another question for you guys. If I am thinking I am mainly going to be doing spinner & spoon fishing what would be your recommendations as far as rod specifications go? From what I've been reading I am thinking a fast action rod, is that correct? As far as rod length I have no clue. Not really sure if I'll mainly be doing small streams/rivers or big, what would be a good rod length for both?

M
Movesfast
Veiði said:
So here's another question for you guys. If I am thinking I am mainly going to be doing spinner & spoon fishing what would be your recommendations as far as rod specifications go? From what I've been reading I am thinking a fast action rod, is that correct? As far as rod length I have no clue. Not really sure if I'll mainly be doing small streams/rivers or big, what would be a good rod length for both?

9'6" fast action with a stride ci4 3000 is a do it all set up for me. Toss spinners, run a float, and even drift a corkie