releasing native silver in the ocean

B
bigdog
Thoughs are some good stories there I'm afraid my wierdest moment doesn't compair but when we were out camping and well fishing of corse, I was throwing a spinner for some trout under this tree, then out of the blue this big hawk dives out of a tree and hit that spinner. The pole about bent in have and I see my spinner going up in the air then the big bird drops it as fast as it hit it. Guess he didn't like the hook in foot lol. Yeah have to say about made me jump out of my skin though lol.

H
Hawk
We used to catch & release .Hammerhead shark around the Hawaiian islands with shrimp. Other kinds too. One time a Tiger Shark..........................:lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool:

Moss Landing, Cali we would catch Leopard Shark & Blue................

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Travelin' man

Travelin' man

Brother Hawk;
My,my you have been around a couple times haven't you? :D :clap: I'm jealous of all the travelling.
Barb

F
FishSchooler
Hawk said:
We used to catch & release .Hammerhead shark around the Hawaiian islands with shrimp. Other kinds too. One time a Tiger Shark..........................:lol::lol::lol:..........................:cool:
QUOTE]

I woulda done that but I wasn't allowed to fish in the aquarium... :rolleyes::cool:

K
Kodiak
Hmmmm

Hmmmm

I wonder if the growing shark population is hurting our springer pops. I found some interesting stuff on the salmon shark...I thought they were joking at first...but it goes on to say that the salmon shark population could eat as much as 25% of the pacific salmon run every year, and their numbers are growing since the ban on driftnets in '92. If thats the case I say we need to to rig up the depth charges and do some high speed trolling.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's interesting information. We have been fishing out there and we would run into a sharky area. We would be catching salmon then start loosing gear to sharks. We would just pull up the rest of the gear and move out of that area because it was impossible to fish it with the sharks there.

K
Kodiak
Solution for that problem

Solution for that problem

In alaska they use whole sockeye for them things...and I thought trolling cut plugged black label herring was throwing a big bait. I bet if you could figure out when they are moving through and had some bigger baits a guy could have a ton of fun with some big toothy critters and help save some salmon in the process.:dance::clap:. I wonder how many you could do in a day.

M
mgdguy
bigdog said:
I was throwing a spinner for some trout under this tree, then out of the blue this big hawk dives out of a tree and hit that spinner

That is a fishing story of a lifetime. Awesome! :shock:

L
luv2fish
In 1997 when I was in Spain, my client use to go fish for Groupers near Medas Islands, infact he was a spear fishing guy and one time he took me on his boat and we were fishing for groupers ( he was fishing with his girlfreind, I was on a fishing boat for the first time in my life ), suddenly his rod jerked and then same thing happened to his GF's rod..and snapped it..well he took other rods out and rigged them with big hooks and heavy lines, I still didn't had any clue...and not even 5 minutes later when his rod was like totally buried...he tells me to bring the gaff and so I did ( I had to ask him whats that cuz I never had used Gaff before in my life )..he started fighting this damn thing and prolly say 45 minutes to hour later....he pulled this Blue Shark. It was the biggest fish I ever saw live in my life that close. It was over 4 meters long and even after he hit it on the head with a clobber kinda thing like 5 times, that thing still wiggled here and there even after an hour or so... we came back at marina...and he stowed his boat in the hanger ( it was a 48 footer )...when they were tagging it at the marina..that thing almost snapped the guys hand who was measuring it...lol.. I was kinda scared and maintained my distance with that beast all the time when i was on the boat..Later they cooked it..and his girlfriend made soup... the meat was kinda ammonic smell...but hey i never had it and everybody else was eating it so yeah i had it...but was not really fond of it.
Just in continuance of shark stories...

K
Kodiak
Blues

Blues

When I was in my early twenties we used to go fish off the south jetty in Newport off the verry end. We go to the canery and get fish guts and chunks, and some really big mackrel. We would load the guts into a 5 gallon bucket and march our silly butts out to the end of the jetty and punch wholes in the bucket, tie to a rock on out going tide and wait. After a few minutes (2-3 hrs) we would start seeing shadows and the perch guys would get all miffed. We would drift macrel under big orange balloons. Every once in great while a balloon would go down and fish on. In a couple of years we only managed to get one on shore and being the dumb kid I was I was gonna get a tooth for each of us.I got the critter to open it's mouth and then a wave hit, fish came at me mouth open and that whose got who look on its face. My bro said I screamed like a little girl and thats the fastest he's ever seen a human move, and the last time I ever tried shark fishing off the bank.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Kodiak said:
In alaska they use whole sockeye for them things...and I thought trolling cut plugged black label herring was throwing a big bait. I bet if you could figure out when they are moving through and had some bigger baits a guy could have a ton of fun with some big toothy critters and help save some salmon in the process.:dance::clap:. I wonder how many you could do in a day.

We pulled a big 'ol Dorado out of the Death Box a few times, and "live trolled" that for Blues. Marlin would slam the Dorado, and one in 3 would result in a brutal hook-up/take. Pretty funny stuff teasing Marlin, then putting out Dorado, as opposed to Jacks, or other fish baits.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
We pulled a big 'ol Dorado out of the Death Box a few times, and "live trolled" that for Blues. Marlin would slam the Dorado, and one in 3 would result in a brutal hook-up/take. Pretty funny stuff teasing Marlin, then putting out Dorado, as opposed to Jacks, or other fish baits.

I didn't get to go marlining at hawaii... but I saw one at least! :cool:

It would be funny if there was a person who knows nothing about marlins fishing, and hes like fish on! Oh wait.... thats my bait... :lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
When you bury a 16/0 or so hook into a fairly large baitfish, in a few cases a small Dorado, most people take notice, and yeah, it is fish on, until you get nailed. Pretty vicious takes. There are videos of guys on the gimble, whou unclip for a moment to re-adjust, and they gut pulled in. Gnarly stuff. Blues are actually pretty ridicolous to fight. Almost not worth it, when you consider how much gear, and gas go into it, but a super fun experience none the less. I still get way more kick, out of bouncing certain AK streams for Chinook. Way more fun.:cool:

B
bigdog
ArcticAmoeba said:
When you bury a 16/0 or so hook into a fairly large baitfish, in a few cases a small Dorado, most people take notice, and yeah, it is fish on, until you get nailed. Pretty vicious takes. There are videos of guys on the gimble, whou unclip for a moment to re-adjust, and they gut pulled in. Gnarly stuff. Blues are actually pretty ridicolous to fight. Almost not worth it, when you consider how much gear, and gas go into it, but a super fun experience none the less. I still get way more kick, out of bouncing certain AK streams for Chinook. Way more fun.:cool:

Got any links to the vids of the guys taking a fly in the water that would be fun to watch.

H
halibuthitman
Good Idea, try this one, when the fish nears the surface reach out with your left hand palm out with your fingers spread wide putting line between thumb and first finger, when your home made gaff hook is in contact with your hook at fishes mouth push hard with your hand on the line and twist gaff at the same time ( away from fishes head ) and bingo the fishey lives to fight again! when sea lions come after my fish I pop the drag and let the fish have his head and run, I have never had one spool me and they come off most the time on their own, screwing the lion out of his lazy lunch. Good fishin-

" I spent most my money on rods beer boats and trucks..... the rest of it I wasted "