Reel induced migraine

J
JeannaJigs
I didn't :)

B
beaverfan
During a similar reel headache I picked up a Quantum Escalade spinning reel from Dick's. It was in the 60-70 range and it's a pretty nice reel. It's got either 11 or 13 bearings and is very smooth and sturdy. The only bad thing about it is that the bale on it has a bend in it that makes it a pain to bobber fish. When you flip the bale and set the hook if the line isn't in the guide the bale stays half way open and the fish goes bye bye. After a trip or two I got it figured out and no more issues.

Here's a pic of the reel.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I was looking at that reel last night, it's pretty similar to the catalyst and it felt super smooth. I might check it out further :)

B
beaverfan
It is incredibly smooth especially for the price. It seems to be made pretty well too and can handle big fish. Other than the deal with bale I have no complaints at all and I've had it for about 2 months and out at least 15 times.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Dicks has some very nice shimanos for under $100. The newer versions have a lot of the top dollar shimano reels advantages at a reasonable price.