Redmond area 4th of July + CO pics

L
LivinItUpCO
So I'll be up at Eagle Crest for the 4th of July visiting my wife's family. We currently live in Colorado and I do a ton of fishing here, I'm willing to help anyone if they are headed here !! I fish for everything that swims !! So now to the point....I've been reading the regs and they are a lot more complicated than CO. I post a lot on the CO forums, and I know how annoying it is to have people asking 20 questions because they are too lazy to crack a body of water. I don't need any special details; I love figuring out all fish, and the water they reside in. I have a couple questions though...Do steelhead run anywhere near Redmond? To me it seems too far, but I am not underestimating such a magnificent fish. If they do, what rivers are they in? And is July even a right time to go for them? I've noticed there are winters and summers; hoping summers mean July. I've always wanted to scratch steelhead and bull trout off of my list. So not to be that guy, but does anyone have any direction as far as catching bull trout in july? I'm a spin cast fisherman, and I've noticed a lot of the rivers in the area are fly only. Why is this? This is my main concern. Thanks for reading this long drawn out explanation of myself, just want you to know I'm not "that guy" who is too lazy to figure things out for himself...Here are a few pics to show ya I'm serious about fishing, it is my passion !!
Misc 011.jpg1stgrasscarp2.jpg

E
eugene1
Sweet pics! thanks for those, that's a big a$$ carp!

If nobody else can chime in I'll look at the regs for ya. I never fish up there myself.

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
Many rivers in that area are "fly fishing only"; to protect both the streams from destruction-and the species that inhabit them from decimation.

You'll find protected Bull Trout, in the Metolius. But, protected means catch n' release ONLY. It is illegal, to harvest them--as they are on the endangered species list. You'll find Bulls up to 20 pounds, in this revered river. Look for them beneath bank cover, and around submerged structure, and in deep pockets associated with bridges.

For summer steelies; the Deschutes is the go-to river. However, the summer run fish don't begin to stage at the mouth (i.e. at the Columbia River), until mid-July. So, it's likely going to be too early to find any summers upstream. On the other hand; it is an excellent rainbow and brown trout fishery.

Good luck; and be sure to double check the reg's before setting out.

Last edited:
L
LivinItUpCO
Thanks! I hear ya about destruction and decimation. Here in CO we have "artificial and fly only water" which I prefer to fish since the banks and surrounding areas are a lot cleaner than bait allowed waters. I don't like to generalize but it's the truth; no bait means less people and less trash. Thanks for all the info! Think I may concentrate on the bull chars...

troutdude
troutdude
LivinItUpCO said:
Thanks!

no bait means less people and less trash.

You're very welcome. It must be a "universal truth"...unfortunately.