Red Rock Crab

S
steelhead1
just taking claws

just taking claws

Seems like I read or heard somewere recently that crustations (SP?) are full of bacteria that reproduce rapidly as soon as the animal dies.so If you couldnt cook the claws right away they may make you ill.Oh yeah and its kinda mean!:D

J
joeyota
The Nothing said:
you can really use just about anything for crab bait so long as it contains some sort of animal product... fish carcasses & entrails, cat food, chicken parts (including McNuggets), baitfish...

Now that I think about it. Skunk would work realy good. How about some one try it and report back?

H
Hawk
Great White lips are great crab bait butt they are partial to losing them...............................heeheehee................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:..................................:cool::cool::cool:...................................:dance::dance::dance:

F
FishSchooler
I have 2 big 10 lb bags of shad heads........ :D:D:D That's a looot of crab bait.....:lol:

C
Chass
steelhead1 said:
Seems like I read or heard somewere recently that crustations (SP?) are full of bacteria that reproduce rapidly as soon as the animal dies.so If you couldnt cook the claws right away they may make you ill.Oh yeah and its kinda mean!:D

Even if they do have a lot of bacteria on them and it grows when you kill them, it seems like boiling them would kill the bacteria . . .

We clean the crab at the cleaning stations and don't cook them until we get home. Sometimes its a day or two in the fridge. The edges where the meat is exposed will sometimes turn a blueish black color right at the edges. I've thrown some out because it got really bad. Usually its just a little bit and we eat it anyway. I prefer not to let it get that far. But it would make sense that bacteria is causing the discoloration of the exposed meat.

Joe, if you try to bring a skunk on my boat, you're FIRED! :naughty:

Chass
ct

G
GOLFJOE
Hey everyone, Been at the US OPEN in New York. Nice Oregon weather there. Anyway, Chass don't worry....someone else can try using a SKUNK!! It's just not going to happen with me!! Joeyota you're to funny!! Go try using a Skunk but I'll have to tell you. Even if you get a hell of a lot of crab i'm still not going to use skunk!!:lol:

Joe

F
fishhead
cat food

cat food

I use a can of cat food, it works great!

C
crusty old fisherman
Chass said:
Why is that such a bad idea? The crabs survive, perhaps not as easily missing a claw but it happens naturally at times and the crabs live to grow new claws . . .

Disclaimer. I haven't done it before and it may be against the law here. That aside, I don't see why you say its a bad idea when its law in other states with other crabs.

Anyway, we eat lots of reds. The body meat is hard to get to on the smaller ones and the legs are small but those large claws make up for it. If you're patient there is plenty of meat there!

Chass
ct

it seems to me I remember reading something on the ODFW web site a year or 2 ago where they had a sting down in coosbay busting people that were pulling the pinchers and large legs off reds and throwing them back into the bay. apearently the people were targeting reds in particular.

the people were fined heavily and their right to fish and hunt was taken away from them. I believe odfw said it was one against the law and 2 that it flat killed the crab because they had no way to ear pieces of food off and put it in their mouth.

as far as the rock crab you can't compare one type of crab to another because they may eat differently maybe those crab over there eat different things then west coast crab do so they dont have the need to use their pinchers as much to feed.

Crusty

M
Mike B
RR Crab

RR Crab

I have a boat at Embarcadero and stay aboard many weekends. I've been getting RR crab on mussels that I pull off the dock and smash in a bait bag before clipping to the top of my trap. I've found that I get RR most any time but the biggest and most crabs at low tide. I get the most and biggest Dungies at high tide. I've tried cat food, sardines (canned), chicken, and more but the only reliable so far is the mussels. Oh. I had some oysters that I forgot about and got too old for me to eat but the crabs loved them. I know there was a big fight on the bottom because there were no small crabs in the trap. Just big Dungies. One was 9-1/2" across. The biggest I've ever caught.
Mike

T
The Nothing
thats one huge dungie!

Was up in the puget sound the other week doing a lot of crabbing. Sucks that we had to deal with a full moon (crab turn-off) but still did well enough to feed us while we were there and bring home left overs!

We started with crushed clams that we dug up, I also brought out a lot of chinook and coho heads and trim pieces, and about 10 pounds of sand dabs. The sand dab were definitely the #1 choice of the weekend when I had it in my pots at <100. there was also a 28" sea star on top of one of the traps! Another guy had better luck with the salmon where he was able to get out to 250'.