Rebrites

Diehard
Diehard
has anyone heard of a sthlhead called a re bright i was fishing a couple days ago in the clack and caught this glowing chrome sthlhead hen got it home no sperm bag no eggs nice winter none the less talked to a guy at the tackle shop about this he tells me its a rebrite or summer sthlhead they apparently freshen up and become good table fair before they leave the river this fish had red meat and was so chrome it could have been pulled from the ocean that day he said you should let those go and thats fine if theres a reason to let them go he did expain to me ho to check them look at there fins and run your finger down there belly to check for reproductive organs any insight as to why i should let these go

I
imfishing
Search your feelings young steelheader, I feel the conflict within you.

These fish having just made it upriver alive to do their thing, IMHO deserve the reward of safe passage back to the big blue pond.

I caught a couple of these so called re-brights...It makes me want to fill a five gallon

bucket with river water and drive them to the clatsop spit and release them unharmed.

I ate one once...Looked real good, nice red meat...But - Those Eyes...Them Eyes Just

Kept Staring At Me.

If they have that sort of greyish belly mixed with white...You'll know what to do next

time. I bow to your greatness.

I feel I catch enough fish, I can let some go.

H
halibuthitman
a fish that spawns and returns to the ocean for a second lap has a very good chance of returning as a very large fish... but if its clipped.. give it the club and feel fine about it.. its an invasive species.

F
fishingfreak
Congrats on the catch! Where's the Pics? I want to see that beauty!

Diehard
Diehard
sorry i dont take pics of most my fish but if i ketch large ones i take pics of those witch brings me to my next point yes i suppose those fish will return a lot bigger and that would be a great reason to let them go im still after a trophy size sthlhead and that would possibly help me get one to date my biggest has been 16 lbs thats gonna be pretty hard to top in the clackamas as it is a pretty heavily fished river but i wont give up thanks for the replys guys and good fishn to ya

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
A 16 #er wont be hard to beat in the clack or the sandy . Rare ? Yes . Rare and uncommon ? By far , no .
20#ers ? Very rare and uncommon. But they are to be had .
A hatchery fish you say ?
BBQ the fish .
You paid for that fish .
It was put there for you .
If it was not clipped , take every measure possible not to harm it .
Just my opinion .
You did a good thing by making it lunch.
Clipped fish are there for us .
The few , The proud , the people that pay ODFW salaries .
Just remember to do our part .
Pick up after ourselves .
That is all .

Last edited:
Diehard
Diehard
if you or anyone you no happen into a twenty pound fish this year please post a pic because while i no people who have caught them that big i have yet to lay my eyes upon such a magnifficent creature and would love to see a pic of one if not ketch one thanks in advance

H
halibuthitman
the first step to catch a 20+ lber is to stop fishing hatchery runs.. and target natives in rivers with no clippers in them, most people don't see the purpose in fishing where there are no fish they can keep... and that is why most people will never catch a fish that size.. they are out there-

Y
youngbuck307
halibuthitman said:
the first step to catch a 20+ lber is to stop fishing hatchery runs.. and target natives in rivers with no clippers in them, most people don't see the purpose in fishing where there are no fish they can keep... and that is why most people will never catch a fish that size.. they are out there-
Well put buddy I love fishing water with only a native run kinda cool to five a clipper the wood shampoo out
of a system like that to because I know I just did a good thing... I would let them go catch lots of fish. Some one on here has a signature that says "best gift u can give a fisherman is letting a fish go, never know if the one u got
is a gift from the guy befor u." after reading that I will let more fish go and not just harvest them for smoker or fill the freazer it's full enough!

Diehard
Diehard
i was kinda hopin somebody would say something like use bigger baits for bigger fish maybe some tech advice like put up the bobber rod and plunk with half a chicken and 15/O owner with two pink anchor bouys for beads what a dreamer i am thanks for the comments you guys all make some good points

C
CoastieFlo
Rebrite retread respawn....whatever u call it, if it was hatchery (which I assume it was) u did the right thing.

H
halibuthitman
Diehard said:
i was kinda hopin somebody would say something like use bigger baits for bigger fish maybe some tech advice like put up the bobber rod and plunk with half a chicken and 15/O owner with two pink anchor bouys for beads what a dreamer i am thanks for the comments you guys all make some good points
you head down to the Nehalem, not the nf.. the mainstem nehalem anywhere below the salmonberry and roll/swing spoons or get a boat and pull plugs, and then if that does'nt work... try the chicken-