Questions about coho

C_Run
C_Run
Sorry to be posting a thread with a dumb question but I realized I did not really know the rules regarding wild coho. But, after rereading them yesterday, it looks like we are allowed a total of two from the rivers that allow two, just not both on the same day. And then, one more from the rivers where one is allowed for a grand total of three for the year, and then maybe one jack per day. Have I got that right? For some reason I was thinking it was five but I guess I was confusing that with the wild steelhead rules for some of the south coast rivers. If that's right, I hope ODFW starts getting more lax in the future because that's about all I caught last year was wild coho I had to let go and this year seems the same with all the reports lately.They seem pretty abundant to me, no longer threatened.

Second question. Which rivers on the coast, no counting the Columbia, have hatchery coho? All I can come up with is Coos, Trask, and Wilson. Is that it? I can't find a list.

Thanks,
Chris

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
You got it mostly correct. The seasonal total is 5 wild coho due to the lakes (Sitcoms, Tahk, Tenmile).

the daily limit is always 1 adult and 1 jack.

My understanding of the rules is you can keep 1 jack each day the season is open.

And to reach the annual limit of 5 will require catching some in the lakes...

Moving to hatchery coho, that info is in the CMP that was approved back in June, that document has tables and figures that show the current and future hatchery planting locations, species, and numbers...

Cheers, roger

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks, Roger. I forgot about the lakes so that does make five. Still kind of paltry if you ask me. I'd never seen that CMP document before but all the info is in there for a nice long rainy day read.

I wish the people writing the rules would use plain English. That part about "aggregate" regarding the rivers with one fish allowed threw me. Doesn't the word "aggregate" make you think it's going to be plural and not just one?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
Thanks, Roger. I forgot about the lakes so that does make five. Still kind of paltry if you ask me. I'd never seen that CMP document before but all the info is in there for a nice long rainy day read.

I wish the people writing the rules would use plain English. That part about "aggregate" regarding the rivers with one fish allowed threw me. Doesn't the word "aggregate" make you think it's going to be plural and not just one?

I think the "aggregate" applies to the rivers in the 1 fish total or 2 fish total groups, so the use of the word is correct, it is confusing since one of those groups of rivers allows only 1 fish total from them in aggregate.

Here is the CMP link:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/CRP/docs/coastal_multispecies/CMP_Final_ExecSum.pdf

but I was wrong, it applies to Chinook and Steelhead, the hatchery info starts on page 13 but does not cover Coho...

my understanding, ODFW is moving towards eliminating all the confusion and rules, making it 1 wild coho per day and 5 per year under permanent regulations, no special season or quotas required: when chinook are open, coho would also be open. they need more spawning data (fully seeded spawning grounds) and approval from NOAA but it seems they are getting closer to this.

cheers, roger

D
DrTheopolis
I think it depend where on the Coast you're talking about. On the North Coast/Tillamook area, it's one unclipped adult coho for the entire year. And I believe that's only from the bays, none allowed up in the rivers.

The coastal rivers I know of with hatchery coho are the North Fork Nehalem (which gets a ton, but there's limited bank access... go figure), and the Trask. Probably best to stay below the hatcheries on those streams.

And I too hope they change some regs -- from what I've seen of the ocean and bays (anectdotal evidence, sure), there's been very high numbers for a couplefew years (extremely high this year).

But the fact this is even a (non-stupid) topic here pretty much reinforces your point about the regs. I don't want to have to bring a lawyer fishing with me every time (unless he's got booze). The ocean and Columbia are even worse as far as regs go.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
I think it depend where on the Coast you're talking about. On the North Coast/Tillamook area, it's one unclipped adult coho for the entire year. And I believe that's only from the bays, none allowed up in the rivers.

The coastal rivers I know of with hatchery coho are the North Fork Nehalem (which gets a ton, but there's limited bank access... go figure), and the Trask. Probably best to stay below the hatcheries on those streams.

And I too hope they change some regs -- from what I've seen of the ocean and bays (anectdotal evidence, sure), there's been very high numbers for a couplefew years (extremely high this year).

But the fact this is even a (non-stupid) topic here pretty much reinforces your point about the regs. I don't want to have to bring a lawyer fishing with me every time (unless he's got booze). The ocean and Columbia are even worse as far as regs go.

for Tillamook basin it is open:
Upstream to Highway 101 Bridge on Miami, Kilchis, Wilson, and Trask rivers and Burton Bridge on Tillamook River

for Nehalem, it is open:
Upstream to Miami-Foley Bridge on South Fork and North Fork Road Bridge on the North Fork

for Nestucca it is open:
Nestucca Bay tidewater (excluding Little Nestucca tidewater) from the bay mouth upstream to the Cloverdale Bridge (RM 7.1)

these are the 3 locations that are part of the "1 fish seasonal group", so you can tag only 1 fish total from this group this year. Not 1 from each, 1 total.

the rest of the rivers listed in the regs. are part of the "2 fish seasonal group", so 2 total from all of them.

that gets us to 3 total fish, that is the maximum from the tidewater/rivers that are open.

then the 3 lakes are part of the "5 fish seasonal group", so you could catch any or all 5 from the lakes. but to actually get to 5, you must tag at least 2 from the lakes group...

easy peasy....roger

C_Run
C_Run
Once someone explains it that knows what they are talking about, it makes sense. I bet I could summarize all those rules in a couple of paragraphs that anyone could understand.

So tagging the dink the other day means I'm half done with wild coho on all the rivers I am likely to fish this year, I guess. Hope I can run into some Chinook this season.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
So tagging the dink the other day means I'm half done with wild coho on all the rivers I am likely to fish this year, I guess. Hope I can run into some Chinook this season.

yes, I am again being very careful about using my tag spaces, I always carry a 20" long piece of pool noodle that I can get down in the water to quickly check if I have a Jack (bonus, 1 per day!) or a small adult (release). especially this year, with some bigger coho coming in, I am looking to use my tag spaces on 28" and longer fish.

S
SmallStreams
Ah, Rodger Dodger, that's some wise advice!

jamisonace
jamisonace
You'll get some nooks down south. I spoke to john today and they got 4" of rain last night! We'll be down there for turkey day this year in case you're in the area.

I'd trade you a float for another bag of mushrooms:)

C_Run said:
Once someone explains it that knows what they are talking about, it makes sense. I bet I could summarize all those rules in a couple of paragraphs that anyone could understand.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
You'll get some nooks down south. I spoke to john today and they got 4" of rain last night! We'll be down there for turkey day this year in case you're in the area.

I'd trade you a float for another bag of mushrooms:)

I'm sure I can come up with some mushrooms sometime this year. That sounds great. I'l be in Portland on turkey day but probably will go south a few times this fall, hopefully while you are down there. Our other associate down there informed me that Sixes sandbar has now blown out and fish are moving in. Yippee!

Roger, usually the only problem I have with spaces on my tag is that there are too many empty ones at the end of the year. However, I may have to start managing the wild coho slots like you do or count on travelling farther out of my little zone if I want more than two.