Pontoon vs fishing kayak

H
Hawk
sherman said:
Hey Noah Is there anyway to put a trolling motor on a kayak? I don't remember if you had one or not. I like my toon but if I could figure out how to get a kayak on top of my Bigfoot camper & tie it down I would like to have a kayak.

Troutski's son has one of these,
Mokai Manufacturing Inc.
I think he said it has a Honda Jet eng.
:D:D:cool:

Last edited:
F
fishgood
I have no regrets selling my pb, love my kayak! My advice would be to keep looking for a used setup, keep watching the classifieds on NWKA website.

J
joesnuffy
One other thing on the Kayak Paddle: with a kayak width of 31", what length paddle should i be getting?

K
koboabe
depends on who you talk to and what kind of paddling style you have.
for most fishing related tasks you will be going at a slow relaxed paces and a low angle paddle is what you need.
that being said I know lots of folks with larger (high angle) blades that do just fine.

I use a low angle blade with a shaft length of 230CM. If you can I would go into a shop and hold a few. test the swing weight and pretend to paddle it.
you will know if it is right
I have a trident 13t and I am just over 6'... this paddle is great, but I will prob buy a 220 if I have to replace this thing

With proper technique you are able to produce speed and power from a smaller blade, but it wont be as efficient

J
joesnuffy
Picked up a simple paddle at Cabela's this weekend. It's a Day Tripper. Not the highest quality but will work as i fiugure out what I'm doing out there. 220cm.

Checked the shipping status and the Kayak is still in Indiana.... WTF ? lol estimated delivery day: May 17th -May 30th. ARGH!!!

N
Noahk
JT653 said:
REI has some decent paddles as well. I like the Broken Branches - Whisper. It's light and only about $60 at REI and better than anything at Dick's for the same money. Carlisle Daytripper is another reasonably priced paddle that a lot of people like.
I picked up the whisper this weekend and really like it. Nice paddle, especially for 60 bucks!

I guess the freight shipping can be slow. Tight lines once you get it!

J
joesnuffy
I'm a little ticked off right now. Got ahold of the delevery company about my kayak's arrival (it's been sitting in Kent, WA for a week). Instead of being here with plenty of time to spare before Memorial Day Weekend... It's now showing up the week after. So much for the plans i had for that weekend.

Almost an entire month for it to show up. WTF?????

Called Dickssporting goods and they said "sorry". WTF again???

ARGH!!!!

N
Noahk
Dude that sucks. You should ask them to discount it or freaking over night it using Fed Ex!

J
joesnuffy
they returned shipping cost but I don't even care about that. I want my kayak fishing plans restored!!!!

i already bought a Fishfinder for it :p just a little humminbird piranhamax150 (it will work for what i want)

i was going to chase crappie and bad Bass over mermorial day

N
Noahk
Yeah that sucks/ Maybe you could just drive up there and get it :)

J
joesnuffy
if i was in the PDX area i would.... not from Eastern Oregon

S
Subacca
I just ordered a new fishing Kayak from REI since their sale started along with a few of the essentials I need with it (and most if not all are on sale). Decided on the Ocean Kayak prowler 13t, Aqua Bound Sting Ray Carbon paddle (about 138.00 on sale vs the Whisper which was my second choice at 45 on sale but I splurged). For a pfd I decided on the Stolquist Fisherman. All on sale so with car rack saddles and other misc stuff total to get me Kayak fishing was about 1200 but I could have saved more with cheaper pfd and oar.
If anybody else is looking at the Ocean Kayak Prowlers at REI they are on sale but were taken off the website. I had to go in to the actual store and work with customer service who found 2 of them left in their distribution center (I have one of them). But they were able to place the order, just don't expect it before next Memorial day weekend. Mine is scheduled for June 2nd.

Really excited to give this kayak fishing a go..starting at Hagg Lake and then work my way up to a PDX river, then a coastal bay, and eventually the ocean maybe! I will check out the Northwest Kayak Anglers forum as I have lots of questions.

N
Noahk
Subacca said:
I just ordered a new fishing Kayak from REI since their sale started along with a few of the essentials I need with it (and most if not all are on sale). Decided on the Ocean Kayak prowler 13t, Aqua Bound Sting Ray Carbon paddle (about 138.00 on sale vs the Whisper which was my second choice at 45 on sale but I splurged). For a pfd I decided on the Stolquist Fisherman. All on sale so with car rack saddles and other misc stuff total to get me Kayak fishing was about 1200 but I could have saved more with cheaper pfd and oar.
If anybody else is looking at the Ocean Kayak Prowlers at REI they are on sale but were taken off the website. I had to go in to the actual store and work with customer service who found 2 of them left in their distribution center (I have one of them). But they were able to place the order, just don't expect it before next Memorial day weekend. Mine is scheduled for June 2nd.

Really excited to give this kayak fishing a go..starting at Hagg Lake and then work my way up to a PDX river, then a coastal bay, and eventually the ocean maybe! I will check out the Northwest Kayak Anglers forum as I have lots of questions.
Sounds like a great deal! You're starting with a great boat too! Get ready to start hacking it up for rod holders, fish finders, etc. I kayak fish hagg from time to time if you ever want to meet up there.

S
Subacca
Noahk said:
Sounds like a great deal! You're starting with a great boat too! Get ready to start hacking it up for rod holders, fish finders, etc. I kayak fish hagg from time to time if you ever want to meet up there.

I've been looking at that Mod Pod and a couple of scotty rod holders. I believe the MOd Pod is about 75 bucks on Austin Kayak website. As for a fish finder I will definitly be getting one but not sure which way I'm going to go on that. Looking at the Hummingbird 385ci...but another option I'm considering is a cheaper fishfinder and then use a Garmin 62s for gps as it is more useful to me off the water. fish finder would go in the sonar shield and the garmin mounted in front of me on the mod pod. Both would be nice ofcourse..but expensive.

J
joesnuffy
My Kayak finally showed up yesterday!!! WooHoo!!! 26 Days in shipping...... argh!!!! I think I might start another thread with some photos... I already installed the FishFinder on the front.... waitng for glue to install the transducer..... Watch for the photo thread.

N
Noahk
Sweet man! Get that sucker on the water!

J
joesnuffy
LOL< just replied to your reply over on NWKA.

Brownlee looks like the spot hopefully.

S
Subacca
Exciting! I'm supposed to be getting my kayak in today but no confirmation yet. Even if I do, the sad part is both my wife and I are on-call for work this weekend so we both have to stay close to home :-\ . Might have to take a day off next week. I'll be looking for that photo thread and will do one of my own as well.

N
nowhere2be2
I saw your kayak in your photo page and really like the setup. Looks like a good time. A pontoon is nice, but personally, I enjoy kayak fishing more. Feel like I'm apart of it more.