Pontoon fishing

S
slimyguts
I use some cheap stuff for an anchor. I am in construction and found some old weights from those old wooden windows. You can find them at habitat for humanity stores, junk sales, etc... they are cheap enuogh that if hung up, just cut free.

T
Throbbit _Shane
cool. thanks slimyguts! ill have to look for some of those.

S
slimyguts
They look like a small subway sandwich, but usually solid and heavy. If they wind aint blown, I use one in the lake. Two if its blownin but there is usually an extra one hangin from below my seat just incase.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Looking good man. Don't forget that you can make an anchor out of just about anything. In the tube guitar amp world guess what we call an old odd-ball non-functioning amp that nobody wants anymore and is therefore not worth fixing: A boat anchor. :D

Last edited:
S
sherman
Got my toon out on Galesville on Friday. Got skunked but it was a beautiful day on the lake. Rowed out to the spillway & then the wind picked up. I got my exercise rowing back to the ramp. I can't wait until my stickers show up so I can hang my trolling motor. Only 3 other boats on the lake & I talked to all 3 & only one with a trout in hand. I might try Ben Irving or Cooper creek or maybe Platt-I wednesday or thursday depending on the weather. I love my toon & need to add a pole holder in the front so I'm not getting a crook in my neck. Also have to add some kind of plexie glass plate to put the numbers on to hang over the side. No frame on my toon so I'll have to get creative.

T
Throbbit _Shane
GraphiteZen said:
I have every intention of organizing the largest full-costume (required) pontoon float to ever take place on or near Halloween!! :dance::dance:

Im thinking closing day at diamond lake might be good, falls on halloween. but it might get a little chilly

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Throbbit _Shane said:
Im thinking closing day at diamond lake might be good, falls on halloween. but it might get a little chilly

THAT REMINDS ME!! I was going to plan a Halloween OFF float so we can all float in our costumes!! THAT would be, dare i say it, EPIC!!!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
I agree. you have plenty of time to plan one lol

do we dress our pontoons up to?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
If it's part of the costume, hell yeah!!

G
Growbug
Hey Zen, is this a thread worthy of the new boat sub cat??

Sure is. It's a pontoon boat thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Drew9870
My grandpa used to use coffee cans full of cement with a U shaped metal bar stuck in so you can tie the rope off to it, one of the smaller cans could probably do good for a toon, did me good for a raft back in the day.

Not something you see people using everyday, but it works, lol, and your not mad if you lose it.

G
Growbug
some contractors around here can't get rid of the old roof lead that they are removing whilst doing upgrades/repairs. Can sometimes be had for the asking.
Makes great lead for bullets, probably very useful for anchors. Lead is quite easy to melt and cast. DONT BREATHE THE FUMES!!
If you dont want to melt it, use snips to cut it up and throw it in a coffee can anchor like suggested above.

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
GraphiteZen said:
Any craft over 10' motor or not has to be registered now due to invasive species. Not much, was $7.50 for my 10' Outcast.

:shock: woah. hey zen, where did you find this? I have a 14' and won't be using a motor. I can't find anything on this invasive species permit for non motorized pontoon boats.

R
RunWithSasquatch
yeah its been for the past 2 years. its not really registering your boat, but registering you. its transferable to any boat you're in. most counter persons dont even know where to find it in the ODFW tag program

N
NoobTooner
:rolleyes:wait...
found it.
oh man that sux.
it's a total foot in the door.
especially for boarders...
paddleboarders have to register but wind surfers don't.
how is a paddle board more of a boat than a sail board?
for that matter what the hell is the difference btwn a 9' manually powered pontoon and a 14 footer?
bahh! i totally disapprove.:(

...yeah i'll take one please. :lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Funding and education people. The invasive species ARE getting slightly out of hand in areas. Some would argue that the could use their money a little more wisely.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
they're proposing a ban on felt wading shoes, tracing them to spreading a lot of invasion. manufacturors ban in a year or two, and full on ban of all felts in 5 years, is what I think they said.

N
NoobTooner
RunWithSasquatch said:
they're proposing a ban on felt wading shoes, tracing them to spreading a lot of invasion. manufacturors ban in a year or two, and full on ban of all felts in 5 years, is what I think they said.

yep..
then breathable waders,
then neoprene ones,
then before you know it you'll have to register your feet!

please don't get me wrong here.
I AM concerned about the invasives.
just not having to fall on my ass evertime i want to cross a body of water.
i mean felts are pretty much a piece of safety equiptment as far as i'm concered.
if you want to educate people..
educate them.

be at infested bodies of water stopping people from leaving w/o hosing down their boats and floats..
i mean the answer is not to keep a kid from walking into a school with a gun..
it to keep him from leaving the house with one!

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
There would definatly be a possibility of more fatalities from fisherman with out felts

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
NoobTooner said:
i mean the answer is not to keep a kid from walking into a school with a gun..
it to keep him from leaving the house with one!

Agreed.