Pontoon fishing

N
NoobTooner
NoobTooner said:
yep..
then breathable waders,
then neoprene ones,
then before you know it you'll have to register your feet!

please don't get me wrong here.
I AM concerned about the invasives.
just not having to fall on my ass evertime i want to cross a body of water.
i mean felts are pretty much a piece of safety equiptment as far as i'm concered.
if you want to educate people..
educate them.

be at infested bodies of water stopping people from leaving w/o hosing down their boats and floats..
i mean the answer is not to keep a kid from walking into a school with a gun..
it to keep him from leaving the house with one!

just my two cents though..
i'm not right about everything and i'm not perfect so don't be afraid to talk some sense into me.

R
RunWithSasquatch
you're right on, as far as im concerned

G
Growbug
NoobTooner said:
just my two cents though..
i'm not right about everything and i'm not perfect so don't be afraid to talk some sense into me.

you fit in perfect here then

N
NoobTooner
;)

so i'm gonna put a full sized 3'x5' pirate flag on mine with a plank strapped down to one of the cross beams so i can make people walk it!

arrrrr!

you gotta make sure this costume float happens!

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
RunWithSasquatch said:
There would definatly be a possibility of more fatalities from fisherman with out felts

I dip my felt boots in a bucket with a little bleach in it before changing rivers. Nothing lives through that.

And about the PFD requirements.... If the float tube has one bladder no PDF required, but if it has two or more bladders you must have a PFD. Go figure!

N
NoobTooner
GDBrown said:
I dip my felt boots in a bucket with a little bleach in it before changing rivers. Nothing lives through that.

And about the PFD requirements.... If the float tube has one bladder no PDF required, but if it has two or more bladders you must have a PFD. Go figure!

:shock:SERIOUSLY!!!???

Is everybody that's appointed to make these kinds of laws REQUIRED TO BE A COMPLETE MORON?!?!?

...so the boat that has no back up flotation balder needs NO pfd requirements in place while those that do ...well, DO...:clap:

the scary thing here is not that ONE moron suggested this but that a WHOLE PANEL of morons agreed to it!!:mad::mad::mad:

G
Growbug
NoobTooner said:
ONE moron suggested this but that a WHOLE PANEL of morons agreed to it!!:mad::mad::mad:

21st century definition of government beaurocracy. Seen in boardroom all over the country daily on a private scale too!!

O
OnTheFly
It was my understanding that a PFD was required in all navigable waters period.

M
Markcanby
No there is a loophole about a tube not needing a PDF so you could make teh argument that the old Caddis tubes are just plain tubes.

B
bernduffy
I was checked by Clackamas river sheriff for pfd on my pontoon. So don't risk a ticket.

G
GDBrown
GraphiteZen said:
......Don't forget that you can make an anchor out of just about anything. .... :D

I used to use old milk jugs filled with sand or gravel. Poke a couple holes in the top and bottom so they fill with water and they worked great. Bounced OFF rocks or slide across the sand and if they got stuck and broke OFF they eventually tore apart and end up as floating plastic. Not ecologically sound thought now days but 25 years ago not many of us thought about that. Now I only use them in lakes where they are not likely to be lost.

G
GDBrown
I will add this Quote from the 2011 Oregon Boaters Handbook, Pg 44

"Inner Tubes, Float Tubes and Toys
People using single inner tubes, beach toys and single float tubes are not required to carry lifejackets according to state regulation. However, the Marine Board strongly encourages people using these types of float toys to wear life jackets, because inner tubes, float tubes and other air-filled devices tend to be thin and can easily puncture. Children and nonswimmers should always wear life jackets.

Multi-chambered inflatable craft (including single inner tubes lashed together into rafts) are considered boats and must carry lifejackets for each person on board. Floating a river on float toys can be dangerous. Be sure to wear bright colors that alert boaters of your presence."

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
Sounds like there are quite a few of us pontoon boaters in the area. I would appreciate getting connected with you. I am a very eclectic fisherman and would like to have some fellow pontoon boaters to get on the water with.

B
Billamicasr
One more Pontoon boat operator here.
My first one was an Outcast PAC1000 bought somewhere around 2003.
Just bought a new PAC900 that has not been splashed as yet; fun boats.

Last edited:
B
bagold53
I have two pontoons the extra is the yellow submarine (don't remember the Name on it) and the new one is an Outfitter XT which I really like. Jathrtn and I were planning a trip on the Clackamas river on Friday. Unfortunately I think it is going to get rained out.

D
DrTheopolis
Clack is predicted to be semi-low again by Friday (just talked to my buddy about hitting it that day).

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I have a 9ft Colorado xt. Best investment I ever made.

B
bagold53
Fishwhisperer44 said:
I have a 9ft Colorado xt. Best investment I ever made.

I know a couple of people that have the Colorado XT, I like the ability to remove the bags. The Outfitter (same frame as the Colorado) has pouches on both ends of each pontoon. I use the pouches as rod holders when I am not using said rods, not sure if it would work with the removable pouches.

B
Billamicasr
Looks like we are reviving a five year old thread... We need photos of your pontoon boats.

The photo attached is of my old PAC1000 (sold). It had 18" tubes making it very dry and almost impossible to fin kick.

My new boat is a PAC900 which uses 16" tubes and promises to be better with fins. No photos of that boat yet, have not even splashed it and wont get the chance for another coupe of weeks.

We need a list of sorts for the people who regularly fish from a toon. I am at the moment re-doing a Malone trailer so it will haul 2 kayaks or 1 kayak and 2-3 stacked toons. I tow it with a very economical Honda. I am planning on lake trips for Bass & Trout in my kayak and trips to the McKenzie and Santiam for Spring Chinook and summer Steelhead with the pontoon boat. Hope to be able to share shuttles to make the trips less costly and easier.

I'm off to loews to pick up the plywood to make the deck. I'll post photos of the finished product, with flatbed, in a couple of weeks.

Another thought; for those who are fishing from the bank, Sportsman's Warehouse puts their store branded (made by Aire/Outcast) on sale periodically. Bi-Mart may also to kick off the season. They are still a bit of money to buy, but it may be do-able when on sale. I'll say this; if you ask a pontoon boat operator if they like their boat, at least 9 out of 10 will wear your ears out telling you just how much fun they are.

• Pac 1000 June 2003.JPG
T
Throbbit _Shane
If your on Facebook, I created a group last year called Oregon Pontoon Anglers. It's a small group right now but hopefully we can get more folks to join up.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather going to do some over night floats on the willy and umpqua. And maybe some other rivers.