Pontoon fishing

R
ryan808
Bassin 16 I see your in Albany, next time I swing down there I give you a PM, Ill be glad to help you out.

Badfish
Badfish
ryan808 said:
Do you have to registar your toon if you use a trolling motor? Also are there launching fees for pontoons? I just a Water Skeeter and is iching to get it wet.

You would have to register your pontoon if you use any motor, electric or not. I have a 7 footer I just bought last summer to use on local ponds. I've only had it out once and love it. It has an anchor system which is necessary for any body of water, otherwise you'll be spinning and blowing around while you're trying to fish.

I can't wait for spring time. :^)

S
slimyguts
Only need to register the pontoon if you have a motor. I know this cause I got MULTIPLE warnings on Hagg Lake last year. Thank god they were all different cops or I would have a ticket. I was reading some new regulation but can't recal if it pertains to pontoons or not.

I found a great cheap anchor. Remember the old wooden windows that when you opened them you could hear the weight in the wall bounce around? Well being a contractor and replacing windows I kept a few. They are great on lakes. Just one is good with a light breeze. I use two incase the wind picks up. Small enough to carry an extra in the gear bag. Cheap enough that if it gets stuck you can cut it off and not cry about the $$ now stuck to the bottom. Have seen lots of these weights at Habitat for Humanity stores.

I carry minimum of 3 rods on my pontoon. I have a 10' water skeeter. There are two gear bags on the top of the floats. They have some velcro straps to hold additional poles. Just need a larger rack for a bigger cooler for more beer! Only good thing about low water temps is its easy to keep beer cold.

If anyone is interested, I still have another 10' Water Skeeter, brand new in the box (never opened) that my pops will sell as it is just takin up room. I stood up on the seat to try to get it to flip and could not do it. Has two gear bags, pole holder, padded seat, floating oars, cargo area behind seat, anchor setup (just add weight).

U
umpquafisher
donjduck2... umpquafisher here.. see you fish my zip code (Diamond lake, Umpqua River)... I live on the Umpqua, fly fishing section... am looking for partner to toon fish with, do you live near me??? Am 3 1/2 yr. resident here, stilll learning area. Seek bucketmouths...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Any craft over 10' motor or not has to be registered now due to invasive species. Not much, was $7.50 for my 10' Outcast.

F
Finneus Polebender
GraphiteZen said:
Any craft over 10' motor or not has to be registered now due to invasive species. Not much, was $7.50 for my 10' Outcast.

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! slidin by with the 8 ft creek Co. models and the 8 ft Livingston. Guess i wont be lookin at that 11 ft livingston that guy had.

Last edited:
B
buddah426
i love my toon and ever since my buddy built a carrying rack for his little trailer we're out all year long. just went to cape mears and coffenberry last weekend, got skunked but was great to get her out for the first trip of the year.my buddy and i will be up for some get togethers this summer, i missed the big one down south last year:-( but back to work this year so bring it!!!

R
ryan808
Buddah let me know next time you guys go out, I wouldnt MIND fishing with other tooners.

Last edited:
B
buddah426
ryan808 said:
Buddah let me know next time you guys go out, I wouldnt fishing with other tooners.

what do you mean ryan? i wouldn't think twice about meeting up with anyone on here... i'll drop you a line next time we go but dont rule out anyone else here, lots of great peep's here...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
buddah426 said:
what do you mean ryan? i wouldn't think twice about meeting up with anyone on here... i'll drop you a line next time we go but dont rule out anyone else here, lots of great peep's here...

He must be talking about me haha :cool::cool:

O
OnTheFly
Maybe he's referring to those pontoon pirates. The ones that board your vessle and rob you of your worms, your waders, and your women. I hate those guys.

F
Finneus Polebender
OnTheFly said:
Maybe he's referring to those pontoon pirates. The ones that board your vessle and rob you of your worms, your waders, and your women. I hate those guys.

And they put really small holes in your toon that are really hard to find, darn pirates

B
bernduffy
Just want to clear up what may be some common misunderstandings regarding pontoon registration:
First, if you buy a pontoon from someone and they have not titled it AND you want to put a motor (of any size) on it, you have to pay $30 for a new title ON TOP OF the $5 invasive species PLUS $3 per foot length. I had to shell out $62 ($30 + 5 + (9 X3) 27 = 62)
So make sure you find out if your seller has titled the toon and get the title from them & save $30.
Also, since the pontoon is made up of replaceable parts (frame and toons) the Marine board wants the number temporarily attached to the pontoons on both sides, like a single hulled boat. "Make a plaque and strap it on" is what I was told. I suppose you could permanently paint it on as well. I hear that most tooners get a warning, but the second time would definitely result in a ticket.
Again, this is all only necessary if you attach a motor. BTW: The old rule of motors needing to exceed 3hp is no longer in effect. It could be .5 hp and still need all the above .

R
ryan808
sorry had my son asking for something when i was typing. I meant to say i wouldnt MIND fishing with some fellow tooners

F
Finneus Polebender
ryan808 said:
sorry had my son asking for something when i was typing. I meant to say i wouldnt MIND fishing with some fellow tooners

Thats better wouldnt want to have to make ya walk the plank!

B
buddah426
Finneus Polebender said:
Have standard issue mounted on front rest bait caster on rack through frame on toon. son in this pic you can kinda see how its rigged works well

well first things first here finneus... toss that stock mesh seat and go looking on craigslist for a folding swivel seat (i found 2 for 30$ 2 years ago and sold the second one for 15$), then go to your local lowes or home depot and look at the wire shelving racks, you know the ones coated in the white vinal. cut the shelving rack down to size and toss that mesh cargo deck and zip tie the shelf on the frame, this gives you a good solid deck to bungee stuff to (i zip tied a milk crate on my deck for carrying my pump, life vest and backpack). then go back to craigslist and look for a rod holder, i found a scotty rod holder with mount on there for 5$. thats what i did to my creek co. and now it's quite the fish hunter ;-)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The greatest thing about pontoons is the individual mods you can do. They are like little cars man. However, people with steel frames need to keep in mind the potential for rust. It's never a bad idea to stop up any holes in the frame you can find because water will get in the deep recesses and sit. Especially if you spend anytime in the salt. I did and had a frame break up on me in the Umpqua due to rust and I hosed it down after taking out of bay like you normally would. Just something to keep in mind for the long run. It took almost 8 years for mine but it happened.

F
Finneus Polebender
buddah426 said:
well first things first here finneus... toss that stock mesh seat and go looking on craigslist for a folding swivel seat (i found 2 for 30$ 2 years ago and sold the second one for 15$), then go to your local lowes or home depot and look at the wire shelving racks, you know the ones coated in the white vinal. cut the shelving rack down to size and toss that mesh cargo deck and zip tie the shelf on the frame, this gives you a good solid deck to bungee stuff to (i zip tied a milk crate on my deck for carrying my pump, life vest and backpack). then go back to craigslist and look for a rod holder, i found a scotty rod holder with mount on there for 5$. thats what i did to my creek co. and now it's quite the fish hunter ;-)

I stand schooled in the art of extreme garage pontoon mod pro class very awesome stuff buddah

S
slimyguts
OR you can get a Water Skeeter that has all that already (like my 10') gear rack, rod holder, gear bags on the pontoons, pullys for anchor and a trolling motor plate.......

I got an extra one still new in box......??

Found a pic of mine. The one in the box is exactly the same.
Water skeeter Backwater 10
Stationary foam padded seat (optional swivel from Water Skeeter is available)
adjustable foot rest
2 piece oars
cargo rack in back
Trolling motor plate
anchor pullys
2 gear bags for top of toons (they have straps to hold additional rods)
pole holder
stripping basket (for fly fishin but I tie mine under my seat in front of me to hold misc. stuff like cold beer and jerky.....but could hold fishin gear too)

Last edited by a moderator:
B
buddah426
Finneus Polebender said:
I stand schooled in the art of extreme garage pontoon mod pro class very awesome stuff buddah

lol yea... maybe i can get my own tv show...

slimyguts... pm sent. :)