Poll: Coastal coho runs

Poll: Coastal coho runs

• Huge runs, as good as 2014! Propellerheads blew it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They got it right, just a decent run in 2015.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Really light coho run in 2015, let's hope 2016 is much better.

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • What the heck are coho?

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
H
h20s8804
Caught 3 at the Alsea last Sat. 2 were over 12lb.

L
like2fish_more_of10
where is this Rhody wall on the slaw that I keep hearing about ?

where is this Rhody wall on the slaw that I keep hearing about ?

GaryP1958 said:
As of 12 today 15 fish where landed and 2 where nooks at the Rhody wall!

GPS coordinates would be ideal , if not some directions or closest intersection please . (I am coming from Eugene) Thx

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
like2fish_more_of10 said:
GPS coordinates would be ideal , if not some directions or closest intersection please . (I am coming from Eugene) Thx

Rhody Wall is on Rhododendron Drive in Florence at: 43.990, -124.119

It is near the Lane County Transfer Station and Florence Humane Society

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Caught an 18 pound Coho last Saturday just below the 101 bridge on the Nehalem. Heading back tomorrow to try my hand at twitching jigs. Bringing herring too though, as that is what I caught my last one on.

Cheers,

Chris

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
OUCH! 6 tickets out of 10 boats and 1 written at the dock behind mapleton store in just 2 days...be careful they are watching, Know your regs!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GoBlueFan said:
OUCH! 6 tickets out of 10 boats and 1 written at the dock behind mapleton store in just 2 days...be careful they are watching, Know your regs!!

no excuse for not knowing the regs this year, no sympathy for those idiots from me...

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
My dad and I caught 2 more Coho today on the Nehalem near wheeler. Tons of fish rolling, exciting to watch, especially when they are so close they may end up in your boat! Hugely, disappointed though that there are just no hatchery coho to be had. EVERY, and I mean EVERY person that caught Coho today and last week for that matter had to release them. Seems to me that there is an abundance of natives but when you go 2 weekends and see nets flying left and right and no one able to retain anything, it gets pretty discouraging. I know I am not alone to think this.

Cheers,

Chris

B
BaldTexan
It was the same last year but at least we were allowed to keep 1 for the season. I was told the small amount of clipped coho go up river early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Does anyone know why they decided not to allow retention of 1 native Coho this year versus last? Was that just for the Nehalem? Looks like earlier in this thread some natives have been kept elsewhere.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:
B
BaldTexan
Check the regs. There are different regs for different water bodies in Tillamook county. In Tillamook bay you can retain 1 unclipped coho per season, but only on a Friday or Saturday. Stupid huh? I was lucky and caught a nice chunky coho there while fishing for chinook. They apparently expected a low native return in Nehalem, but it would seem to be like last year. Small return of clipped coho and a large return of unclipped.

I may go fish Nehalem again one day next weekend just for the fun of catching those large natives. They are very willing biters.

P
pinstriper
rogerdodger said:
no excuse for not knowing the regs this year, no sympathy for those idiots from me...

Seriously. As an idiot, myself, even I can tell the difference between a fin and non-fin, and also read a calendar.

It's just a fish, guys. Is it so important to your ego that you catch SOMETHING that you'll do something dodgy just so you can pretend it was an accomplishment in the eyes of those who won't know any better ?

B
BaldTexan
Inspect those fish closely before bonking and tagging at Nehalem. Caught a few large fish that fought like, and appeared to be chinook at first, but on closer inspection, they were large coho.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
MrGrumpFish said:
Does anyone know why they decided not to allow retention of 1 native Coho this year versus last? Was that just for the Nehalem? Looks like earlier in this thread some natives have been kept elsewhere.

Cheers,

Chris

correct, the Nehalem was totally closed to wild coho retention this year due to low return prediction.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
here is a tip for the Siuslaw- the clipped coho from our STEP hatchery turn up Munsel creek (currently a stagnant puddle) just up from the Florence launch. these fish should still be on their way so if you want any chance of getting a clipped coho from the Slaw, fish downriver from the Port of Siuslaw launch...upriver will all be wild fish...roger

S
SmallStreams
While crossing North Fork Nehalem yesterday (low in the system), I saw my first redd of the year. Didn't think too much of it even though it looked fairly fresh... on my way back, there was a fish sitting in it!

OK, guess it was VERY fresh, LOL! A little bit of investigating turned up at least 6 wild coho and the redd was actually 3 redds now. Not unusual that there is a redd there (good gravel), just surprised that the fish would be coho that low in the system.

Markk
Markk
GoBlueFan said:
Last Saturday I saw maybe 10 fish caught and all were Silvers-2 got bonked...maybe they were both fin clipped, I kinda doubt it.