Poachers!

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Yeah when I lived out in Siletz the misfit gang of boys opened up fire with assult riffles killing a whole heard of elk and left them there to rot! It's like WHY? don't understand these young kids where is there emotions, is it being taught to them to not care for others, or other things...I don't know about all that but I do know I really want a salmon!!! LOL You know in Mcclarin or how ever you spell that they believe that emotions are lacking so they have started a program where they are introducing Dog to the kids and making them responsible for their well being. I really like that thinking shows them how to care, and how to be responsible for others. I think as a group were are sucking in and only looking after our selfs it's time to start opening up look around is there someone you can help, or something you can do to make things better? More of that goes on then we can't loose ah! I have people from up here in the city that if I talk to them while were standing in a line they almost act scared, or are questioning why is this lady talking to me. Me I just keep on going as far as I am concerned were all connected and helping another is helping your self.... Also you all know the salmon are just coming in to the sandy right???? I went there almost got in trouble a week ago I slept at this one spot, guess you get bothered when your sleeping at fishing holes here. LOL I have my air mattress in the back and slept where ever i stopped for three days me and buddy boy. On marine dr. I think I was I slept there and police were there at 420 ")I was already up and getting ready for fishing and coffee, when he walked up, he was like what are you doing here? I was like daa FISHING!!! LOL talked to him a little and then he looked around, I had already picked up the whole camp site from all the garbage, he said well as you could tell every one has thrashed this place, so I had to check on you and and camping is illeagal here, but I see you picked up the site and getting a little shut eye for a couple hours is not illeagal LOL so he said good luck and left me alone great cop ") LOL I was like shut eye that's right had to claim my hole ah!!! ") At the coast in my redneck town, no one would ever bother you that I have known of, for sleeping at a hole it's just more determination in that fisherman to do so! LOL

O
OnTheFly
GDBrown said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one willing to make the call, I applaud your efforts.

I'm wondering though, since they all appeared to be trout and nice fish at that, could they have been after something else and thought the trout were trash fish. I've seen that from some Asian friends of mine who were after the carp in one lake I use to fish years ago in another state. They thought the trout tasted different from what they were use to and wouldn't have anything to do with them! :lol:
This makes the most sense. Mistake in identity?:think:.Who in their right mind would kill trout and leave them on the bank? They obviously thought they were helping out the eco system by reducing the invasive species population.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
M
Matt G
OnTheFly said:
the evasive species population.:rolleyes:

That's what I usually call them too. But then again, that may be more a reflection on my lack of fishing prowess than anything... :think: :pray:

O
OnTheFly
Matt G said:
That's what I usually call them too. But then again, that may be more a reflection on my lack of fishing prowess than anything... :think: :pray:
oops:redface:

fixed

S
sportsmanlio
Mgman6000, it is technically illegal to keep any fish alive if you intend on keeping them, though I doubt the livewell would get you in trouble. My friend is a cop, and he told me that transporting live fish into a public waterbody, i.e. "bucket biology" is a federal offense and is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000!

GDBrown, this part of the river has only the native Tui Chubs and Redband Trout--for the most part. My boss once caught a yellow perch on a spinner, and I have seen a dead brown bullhead floating there, too. Topsy Reservoir (about 10 river miles downstream of the Keno Dam) has a number of species, including Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Pumpkinseed, Common Carp, Goldfish, Brown Bullhead, and of the course the Redband Trout and Tui Chub. So I guess they could have been going after something else, but the fast moving river isn't exactly the ideal spot for these fish, and it is much harder to access than Topsy...

M
mgman6000
sportsmanlio said:
Mgman6000, it is technically illegal to keep any fish alive if you intend on keeping them, though I doubt the livewell would get you in trouble. My friend is a cop, and he told me that transporting live fish into a public waterbody, i.e. "bucket biology" is a federal offense and is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000!

I like to keep them on a stringer in the water alive as long as possible I also understand you can't clean them on the shore so do you just keep dead uncleaned fish all day long? I thought you should clean them as soon as possible to keep the meat clean. I have always done it this way

S
sportsmanlio
I have heard the same thing as far as meat preservation goes. I am not sure what to do here. I will see if I can ask a game warden or something...give me a few days to get back to you on this one.

M
mgman6000
After wading through many menus at the Fish and game I got a clarification on this, the lady said it is legal to keep fish on a stringer in the water, she also said you can clean fish at the bank in abucket or something but you had to take the entrails with you and you couldn't wash the fish off in the water as that is considered pollution.......................go figure that one out! I guess all the salmon that die are polluting evrything and should be fined.

Reactions: sportsmanlio
M
Mad dog
mgman6000 said:
I like to keep them on a stringer in the water alive as long as possible I also understand you can't clean them on the shore so do you just keep dead uncleaned fish all day long? I thought you should clean them as soon as possible to keep the meat clean. I have always done it this way

It is not illegal to keep fish alive on a stringer! Sturgeon fisherman on the Columbia do it every day! Nowhere in the regs does it say you must immediately kill your catch.

S
sportsmanlio
You are both right. I checked on this, and it is not illegal to keep fish alive on a stringer. The illegal practice is called "culling" wherein you keep a fish on your stringer alive only so that you can replace it with a larger one in pursuit of a limit. This is specifically mentioned in the regs as illegal.

This only applies to fish that have a limit (i.e. bass, trout, salmon), but in areas where the limit is one (such as the Klamath River), it is a violation, since continued fishing after having a limit is always considered "culling." That is what the poacher in this instance received--two violations for this one act...in addition to the other violations.

F
fishfry
WOW! What a P.O.S!!! You deff did the right thing man. I can't believe someone would do that. Why in the hell would you waste and destroy like that?! Sad sad sad. Hopefully the guy they caught was the one that did all that. That makes me mad all the way through. There is no excuse for that what so ever!!! Stopping and invasive species? Please... These fish were slaughtered not just thrown up on the bank to die. No excuse... Know what your fishing for and where your fishing, it's not hard to pick up a FREE reg book with PICTURES and rules. Once again I applaude your call, you did the right thing hands down, good on you!

Last edited:
C
cougarjim
Sometimes I catch myself bitching about rules and regulations and then I see something like this and feel like an idiot.
nuff said.