Places to take kids fishing

M
mplewisjr
I am planning on taking my kids fishing this weekend either somewhere near Portland or up the Columbia. I just moved back here and was hoping someone could give me some ideas of places to take them, to make sure they catch some fish? Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Perch, trout, Bullhead, Sqawfish, in other words not too picky just want to get the kids on some fish.

Thanks for any and all input.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum and Oregon! When my kids were learning to fish we would pack a lunch and head east to Benson Lake. We always caught fish and had the bonus of wading around in the shade to catch crawdads as well. It's been years since I was there, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

M
mustardthetrout
Right now just about any warmwater lake is loaded with small panfish. Bethany and Commonwealth are both really good for Bluegill and Pumpkinseeds, and Hagg has the bonus of having a pretty good perch fishery as well. Use small worms either on #10 hooks or small jigheads and fish close to cover. In addition, all of those places have good night fishing for brown bullhead catfish.

Chromatose
Chromatose
x2 for Benson

M
mplewisjr
Thanks for all the ideas and great information.

M
mplewisjr
Finally getting to go fishing with kids this weekend and will be trying out Benson hopefully. If I make it there I will give a report. Thanks again everyone!

M
mplewisjr
Lot's of little Blue Gill

Lot's of little Blue Gill

Finally got to Benson with the kids and they caught lots of little blue gill and had a lot of fun. Thanks for this recommendation.

Chromatose
Chromatose
mplewisjr said:
Finally got to Benson with the kids and they caught lots of little blue gill and had a lot of fun. Thanks for this recommendation.

:D......................................................:thumb: