Pickled chinook?

B
bubs
So I pickled a few pounds of a chinook I caught in Dec. and it came out way mushier than the couple times I've pickled coho with the same recipe. Like, pretty much too mushy to eat normally (by itself, with crackers, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to use it? Anyone had this happen before? Was trying to pickle chinook a mistake, or was it maybe just this particular chinook? BTW, it was straight out of tidewater, bright, and flesh cut fine and has been great for all the other things I made with it.

O
OnTheDrop
I bet Jamisonace chimes in... I know he's into canning, etc.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we do lots of smoke-then-can and both the coho and chinook turn out fantastic. as for pickling, my only thought is that chinook normally has a higher fat content, perhaps that effected the results?...

C_Run
C_Run
I just began to look into pickling herring recently so I can make something like my mother used to. She was Danish. I know that with herring, it has to be salted first and then pickled. I don't know if that would apply to salmon as well.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I can it in a pressure cooker but I've never tried pickling.....anything. Sounds like something I need to try tho.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
I bet Jamisonace chimes in... I know he's into canning, etc.

E
eugene1
Pickled salmon? That's new to me. Interested to learn more though!

B
bubs
Sure worked well with coho, couldn't get enough. Easy too - just chopped up raw coho, onions, and garlic, and threw it in a big jar with apple cider vinegar and sugar (you can find some pointers online for the ratios), seemed to be best after about 10 days.

C-Run might be onto something, as some recipes called for salting the fish first and some don't, and I didn't salt. And Roger - I bet the high fat content of the chinook does factor in.

Until further evidence appears, I think I can definitely say stick to coho for pickling!