Owner jig hooks vs Matzuo jig hooks

S
smallieslayer
what do guys perfer owner or matzuo for jig hooks?

D
dtikey
I dont know if anyone else has had problems with the matzuo hooks but I break them right and left.I have also seen bran-man and another buddy break them.We have had them snap at the first bend in the shank on several fish and snags. So far this year I have broke at least 15 number twos steelhead fishing and probally 5 number 2/0 salmon fishing. I wouldnt use them anymore and tried to get rid of them for cheap to buddies because I ordered so many so I just keep weeding them in with my owner that I have always trusted and should of never steered away from.Now these are just the octopuss style so can't answer for jig hooks but same company same treated metal.

O
OnTheDrop
smallieslayer said:
what do guys perfer owner or matzuo for jig hooks?

I've caught fish on both...I usually use owner though..I've hooked several chinook over 30 lbs on a steelhead jig with a size 1 or 1/0 owner equipped on it.. Either way...For a steelhead or two your fine with the matzuo but in the long run or with bigger fish..ehhh. You can't beat OWNER.

S
steelheadstalker31
I've used Matzuo jig hooks and octopus style hooks quite a bit and have never had a breakage, but I generally use 6lb, so I am not putting a lot of pressure on my fish. If I was worried about the hook breaking I would use a mustad 2x jig hook.

B
bran_man
Yup, what dtikey said. I still like matzuos, I have caught quite a few fish on them and seem to have a nice deep hook set and are very Sharp, but the harsh bend after the shank to make the sickle shape makes a much weaker point then just a curve that an octopus hook owner hook has. So I have had quite a few break on just simple snags and on a few fish as well :/ All I know is I have never had major/consistent issues with owners as I have had with matzuos....

S
steelhead_stalkers
There were some bad batches of sickles a while back. I have used them for years without ever breaking one but I know what the good ones look like so I make sure before buying. Mustad 2X strong jig hooks are the best around! I use them on all of my jigs and my customers jigs!