Over the limit angler ticketed

T
teubie
Yesterday an angler was ticketed for being in possession of more than his daily limit at ABC. I also learned that if you give away your fish, it is indeed counted towards your daily limit and you have to also give the person your information when you pass along your fish. Maybe this is known to some but not to everyone. Thank you to the Trooper that took my call seriously and followed through. If you don't think rules are for you, I am all for a $400 or more fine to help you learn.

Reactions: eugene1
N
navanafti
Good job, Teubie. Did he happen to be the old Asian man who is a repeat offender of the daily catch limit?

E
eugene1
Glad to hear of a little justice served there finally!

G
grampa ron
Keep up the good work. I have had more than one busted there.

hobster
hobster
:thumb:

B
budney
I happened to be there yesterday, and am glad to see they took the call seriously.

D
DrTheopolis
A friend told the story of a guy pulling out of Garibaldi Friday, with an unclipped coho (native retention started Saturday), with his poles rigged with barbed hooks.

The story goes, that the paper really flew, to the tune of a few hundred (and when I saw this a few weeks back, they kept all the fish and crabs and the entire catch).

Is it really that hard to play by the rules? Sure, you kind of need a lawyer to keep up with the ocean and Columbia, but at a regular water body like Alton-Baker, the regs don't change, they're right there in black and white.

Just because I don't agree with some of the regs, it doesn't mean I don't follow them.

Props for calling it in.

C
CoastalMoe
I wish more people understood that most regulations(I say most as I am unaware of all your local regs...)... But most are well thought out and done to ensure future generations of native fish... So damn frustrating seeing those that abuse the laws... I tend to be the type to confront a person keeping them there until rangers arrive... Definitely not one to just turn the cheek...

Kudos to you Teubie...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good job teubie! the correct way to pass off a fish is to hand the rod over while fighting the fish, let someone else land the fish (you can net it for them), then it is theirs and counts against their limit. cheers, roger

T
teubie
Thanks for the kudos. I thought I might be called names for being mean and calling. No, it was not the Asian guy you asked about: although, I have his
License plate number in case he does it again. Trust me, I've tried to get him in the past.
This was a Russian guy that does this on a regular basis and also throws his dead fish at people if he can't throw them back. Yes, he has thrown one at me. He also sends his grandson home with their ten and stays to fish for more. Also, he sometimes puts his stringer down from him so you don't see it. Haven't seen his grandson in a while though.
Question: is a license taken away when you get a ticket?

T
teubie
Did he speak to the cop? Because he acts like he doesn't understand English? But I swear I have heard him speak it before. Was he denying it? I left and he had ample time to leave because the cop came from Pleasant Hill. Nice cop too.

B
budney
Was he the one in the white shirt with dark blue jacket and shorts? I know the cop was talking to someone but I was to far to see who he was exactly talking to, there was a cluster of people fishing that part of the canal.

T
teubie
Yes.

B
Big3d
You usually will notlose your fishing license on your first violation. However, I imagine it depends a lot on how severe the infraction.

B
budney
I think they nailed him pretty good then. I thought I saw both leave separately, but when I left about an hour later there were two troopers with separate vehicles at the entrance of the canal talking to each other. The guy was standing on the side of the road/path next to one of the vehicles when I walked by.

troutdude
troutdude
Well done Teubie! Keep dialin'!!!

T
teubie
He knows I watch him so he tries to sneak in and out of the park and goes as far away from me as possible. He used to hide behind the big bush down at the end...until they all got trimmed down. He hides behind the large bushes at JC as well. I know he likes to fish for about 15 fish at a time and comes back a second time in the same day. I haven't been able to catch him though. He will also fish the other side of canal so he isn't as noticed. When I have called in the past, they didn't seem to care. Plus he takes off fast. He hides his fish in his portable seat and then keeps others on a stringer or in a bag so it only looks like he has 5. And he acts like he doesn't understand but I can assure you he knows English well...we got into a verbal argument and he knows some choice words!

S
sapo
Wow, that's annoying. Good job on calling him in