Oregon trout stocking thoughts?

J
JonT
Been meaning to throw this out there for a while, just didn't remember until now… When these lakes and reservoirs are stocked from April - June, do the trout that aren't caught just die off in the summer? I'm curious how or even if ODFW keeps tabs on what is in there from past years (if anything), or if they just keep haphazardly throwing fish in there every spring. I know there are such things as "holdover" fish, but are they healthy? Anybody?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I certainly don't think they die. I do think most get caught rather quickly in the popular lakes...

brandon4455
brandon4455
Most of them get fished out, and the stragglers are usually eaten by bass (most of the coastal lakes have bass) in the valley lakes where water reaches temps over 75 degrees,which most do, the remaining fish die off.

C
coyo7e
Its not entirely as though ODFW is just blindly throwing fish around, that's why they do fish surveys etc. In my experience they are pretty aware of which bodies are popular/easier or accessible for families and disabled, and most fish go to those spots the most often. I like to nab stockers as a cheap and easy supplement to my garden which saves a lot on buying groceries and pays for my license PDQ. Probably can't account for all those new lures but.. ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
coyo7e said:
Its not entirely as though ODFW is just blindly throwing fish around, that's why they do fish surveys etc. In my experience they are pretty aware of which bodies are popular/easier or accessible for families and disabled, and most fish go to those spots the most often. I like to nab stockers as a cheap and easy supplement to my garden which saves a lot on buying groceries and pays for my license PDQ. Probably can't account for all those new lures but.. ;)

x2

troutdude
troutdude
Some lakes with cooler temps, do have healthy hold-overs. Henry Hagg Lake, is a prime example. Last year, I watched a dude in a toon catch an 11 pounder. That fish put up a GREAT 45-minute fight, for his captor! It was a VERY robust and healthy fish; who been cruising and feeding in Hagg for a year (after being stocked).

bass
bass
A few years ago I was carp fishing in Bethany pond in the fall and caught 2 trout!! Kind of wacky. Not sure if they swim up into the creek and return, if the water generally stays cool enough or if there is a spring somewhere in the pond. However, if Bethany pond can hold over fish you would think most waters could.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I think that if the reservoir/pond/lake has cool enough temperatures in the summer with good oxygen levels and an abundant source of food for the trout then they'll survive through to the fall, winter, and spring. Just my thoughts though

G
grizzlynitemare
It really depends on the water the fish are in, in terms of fish surviving the summer or longer.
But, as posted above me, most fish are caught or eaten by bigger fish/animals.

S
Socaaron
I agree it all depends on the water they are stocked into and wether they will provide hospitable living conditions throughout the year, barring that a nice cold creek or other such body of water for them to flee into.
Take Harriet lake for example, they stock the crap out of that relatively small body of water but it stays ICE cold year round. Hold overs are common as long as they are smart enough to know that power bait is sure death.
Personally I avoid grown stockers, I love fishing lakes that ODFW plants with fingerlings that are than forced to get to size naturally. I think they fight and taste better. I recently went to my "secret" lake up near hood. first couple dozen casts yield nothing. I noticed that ever year the lake seems to be getting progessively shallower and I feared it may have finally winter killed. Start working towards were the original creek that flowed through the meadow was(distinguishable by the faintly darker section of water about 3-4ft wide) (lake creation courtesy of beavers) and first cast WHAM biggest trout I've had on my line in years(minus those huge southern browns) put up a great fight almost like a steel and just like steel I'm worried it's gonna spit the hook. Finally bring her in and she measures out to 14+ inches I can't believe it. This lake has consistantly yielded 8-10in's but nothing that big take some pics and cast out again. WHAM!! again same deal, huge hit, big fight, big trout almost the partner to the first but girthier. I ended up keeping those 2 and when cleaning them noticed one was a boy and the other a girl, mating pair perhaps?
Made me sad knowing I had removed 2 beautiful specimens from my favorite lake but I also know that only me and maybe another person or 2 have ever shown signs of going to this lake so hopefully it'll provide few more exciting fish in years to come.
Sorry for semi hijacking this thread. I had a fantastic day on my one day OFF last week, exploring, fishing, and did I mention there was a god damn BEAR. Tried to wait him out but ended up backing up what I thought was a fair distance and yelled at him to get his attention, I mean after all he was blocking my way to my secret lake! He was smallish and BROWN not black, but he lumbered away when he realized I was there.
Man I really gotta start posting my stories on my own threads..lol I have pictures too so it must be real!

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Socaaron said:
I had a fantastic day

All I needed to hear, but enjoyed the rest.

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
All I needed to hear, but enjoyed the rest.

Depends on the lake/reservoir/pond. Ponds trout will die off or be caught off. Lakes and reservoirs will carry hold overs. I fish them when they're low in the winter and have a blast! Odfw should stock more of a variety on size for trout I think though, would be nice if they stocked some smaller size ones along with some more over 12".

M
Modest_Man
troutdude said:
Some lakes with cooler temps, do have healthy hold-overs. Henry Hagg Lake, is a prime example. Last year, I watched a dude in a toon catch an 11 pounder. That fish put up a GREAT 45-minute fight, for his captor! It was a VERY robust and healthy fish; who been cruising and feeding in Hagg for a year (after being stocked).

That wasn't a hold over. That was a broodstock fish that was planted at that size.