Old time fishing stuff

C
Camo
These photo's were lifted from the fishing pages of a copy of the 1908 Sears & Roebuck catalog. What got me started on this adventure was the post on Antique flies, ''Old Vintage Patterns'' by forum member Tijack. Tijack's post got me looking and wondering if I still had a few old books on the subject.

16286813304_b7c1292f60_z.jpg
Ya never see boats anymore like the Clinker for $27.50 The reason is that they never stood up to being waterlogged in summer then frozen in the winter. They all leaked. The ones that didn't leak were swelled and rotted. Even with a yearly coat of lead house paint, they sunk after just a few years.

Can't seem to remember what book it was or what I did with it. Probably still in the cabin I rented in Quebec back in 1968, where the trout were bigger, the water was clearer and the wood stove glowed red in our feeble attempt to keep out the night cold.

I dropped this photo and my dog got it. That's why they're tooth marks on the photo.
16721684248_4d557f00be_z.jpg
Point Cottage, Hawk Lake in Quebec. Our guide didn't let on that he spoke English and I didn't let on that I speak French, so we all got along like old lost friends.

I recently looked at some old photo's of fish that were caught. (Can't find those either) Not nearly the size that I had remembered.

I actually used reels like these when I was a kid!
16908181901_6f8a55223f_z.jpg
Prices were the same as today - if you factor in inflation. The reels back then wouldn't be much fun on today's steelhead streams.

16723015089_5ddd1a29c9_z.jpg
Buck Tails and spinners were almost the same in 1908 as we use today. Plugs were varnished wood, Trolling line was made of copper……I'll stick with fluorocarbon!

It's windy with rain on the coast today. I thought it better to stay out of the woods (work) and away from the river. So I decided to get lost in the cobwebs of a half century of fishing.

Sorry for the rant!

Thanks for looking!

:)

Reactions: Irishrover
E
eugene1
Cool old school stuff, Camo!

The boats are said to be "steel" is that a brand name or were they actually made of steel?

Thanks,

C
Camo
eugene1 said:
Cool old school stuff, Camo!

The boats are said to be "steel" is that a brand name or were they actually made of steel?

Thanks,

Steel! Apollo Steel, what ever that was! And will last a lifetime!

Here's a closer look,

16705087307_eb45d97256_c.jpg

16886512736_7845220af3_c.jpg

16705082627_907d770326_c.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Great post. I love old fishing stuff and history. And a dog bitten picture to boot!

C
Camo
Irishrover
Irishrover
That's good stuff. There was a book written about that call "What Fish See". But those charts are worth downloading.

C
Camo
Irishrover said:
That's good stuff. There was a book written about that call "What Fish See". But those charts are worth downloading.

''Through the Fishes Eye; An Angler's Guide to Gamefish'' By mark Sosin and John Clark-1973

What a book! I loved it! (have no idea what I did with it) The book also went into detail about fish ''lateral line'' and how it sees vibrations.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's the book. Guess I was somewhat close on that title.