What a waste of my time!!!!

S
Spydeyrch
So, many of you helped out and responded to my previous thread about how to teach basic fly fishing. It is here:

Which I really appreciated.

Well, here is the report:

So, for one week, get that, ONE WEEK, myself and these two other guys were going to go up to a special little creek that I have and I was going to teach them fly fishing basics and we were going to go catch some nice wild cutties.

ONE WEEK!!! Every day of that week we were discussing the options, where to go, what gear to bring, etc. KiltedBob (Lamzy) even let me borrow two of his fly rods so that there would be enough gear to go around. I was very grateful to him for his generous offer. My friend went and picked it up friday evening.

The plan was that they were going to come and pick me up between 5 and 5:30am then we were going to drive out to the spot.

Well friday night rolls around and I get a text message saying that "it has been one of those nights and he wasn't sure if he would make it tomorrow but that he would let me know in the morning."

I replied back and coaxed him to come. He said he will try and get here.

So Saturday morning I got up at 3:30a to get everything ready on my end. Granted I had got to bed at 11pm and had baby ( I have a 3.5 month old) duty already twice that night.

So 4:45 am rolls around and I shoot him a text asking if he was going to make it or not. I waited until 6am and finally went to sleep again. 8:45am pops up and I get a response:

Sorry man, I just got your text. I just woke up right now.

That was it. No other explanation as to what happened, why he didn't show up, nothing.

Later I find out that they really didn't want to go but that they didn't know how to tell me.

So that is my report. It pretty much ruined my whole Saturday morning!! I mean I was upset, frustrated, and all the above. I am not going to invite them to go with me again. That is for sure.

But the morning did get better. I took my kids (3 and 5) to the library. We read some books, laughed, played outside, etc. I also found Tom Rosenbauer's "Orvis' Guide to Small Stream Fly Fishing"

I was sooooo happy that they had it!! I had been waiting for them to get it in. They had three copies and two of them were out so I got the third!! I am reading that book as much as I can! Has some great insight and wonderful photos!!

Well, there you go. What a Saturday, right!

-Spydey

D
Drew9870
Been there, it can be pretty frustrating, especially after looking forward to it for a number of days and having it all planned out. It's even more upsetting when they hold back from telling you because they thought you would get upset!

Saturday may not have been anyones day, it was rather depressing for me, the dog is getting out of shape, but may recover.

M
Moe
Man, sorry for what happened, but atleast the day didn't turn out too bad. That sux that they kept you waiting till it was too late to go yourself.

S
Spydeyrch
Yeah, it totally sucked!!! I mean, I would have been completely fine if they hadn't wanted to but told me so that I could have planned something else and not waste my time and my morning.

I wouldn't have been upset if they told me with time but to let it fall like that, 3.75 hours AFTER we were going to go, that really just got me upset.

-Spydey

P.S. Drew, hope the dog gets better man.

L
Lamzy
What a bummer.
Hang onto the rods and reels I don't need them now so maybe you and some friends who REALLY want to go fly fishing will need there use.
KiltedBob

S
Spydeyrch
Lamzy said:
What a bummer.
Hang onto the rods and reels I don't need them now so maybe you and some friends who REALLY want to go fly fishing will need there use.
KiltedBob

Thanks Lamzy. I think I will take you up on your offer. At least for a few months. I have a few young men in the scout troop that I help with that have been voicing their desires to learn to fly fish. Those rods will come in perfect for those times!!

Thanks again.

-Spydey

L
lilsalmon
That does suck......all that planning and then a no-show. Kudos to Lamzy for letting you use his rods....

BTW have you read Curtis Creek Manifesto? A must read. I could bring it this weekend if you haven't read it.

S
Spydeyrch
lilsalmon said:
That does suck......all that planning and then a no-show. Kudos to Lamzy for letting you use his rods....

BTW have you read Curtis Creek Manifesto? A must read. I could bring it this weekend if you haven't read it.

No actually I haven't. That sounds like an excellent read. Yes, do please bring it. Thanks for the offer.

-Spydey

S
skunk
I've gotten to the point where I'm going such a day at such a time. Be there and go, or I'm off on my own. If you don't want to go, no way I'm waiting.

S
Spydeyrch
skunk said:
I've gotten to the point where I'm going such a day at such a time. Be there and go, or I'm off on my own. If you don't want to go, no way I'm waiting.

Yes, Usually I have that same moto, but that particular day, they were my ride as my car's tags had expired and I made the decision to buy more flies instead of re-new them. Plus I couldn't use my wife's car because she needed it. So I was stuck at home. :(

-Spydey

Irishrover
Irishrover
You will get a kick out of the Curtis Creek Manifesto. Nice of Lilsalmon to share it with you. Sorry you got stood up.

C
chrisohm
I have had those days too. I have had friends get into it and then just give up. Other friends get into it and just not have the desire to get up and fish the plan. My son is my saving grace because he gets into it, he goes, he helps reel em in, he helps with the net and he has his own personal adventure. Finding good fishing buddies with whom you know is not easy but at least we have the forum.

O
OnTheFly
I make it my policy never to balk on a fishing trip. If I say I will go I will be there. Perhaps your buddies had the brown bottle flu.:think: Good recovery plan though.

T
troutramp
any kind of fishing can be hard work and some guys just aint up for it. Working in a flyshop and guiding for the couple of years I did opened my eyes to how to find those guys that are beyond recreational flyfisherman. I have fished with a few guys that were more interested in drinking and partying than fishing. Spyde you sound like the type of guy who is pasionate about small streams ( much like myself). I like fishing with a partner sometimes, it is advantageous one guy can throw a dry the other can nymph. If one technique works better the other guy can switch over. On the flip side of that you have to share holes.

F
FlyBum
That sucks!! :( If I fish with someone new (even new new) and there late more than a half-hour, well they will never get an invite again and I'm on my own way. Especially if I have to put as much effort into it as you have. I won't wait around for you. Chalk this up to a lesson learned.

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:

ill have to get that from you too. readit at the campfire. seeya friday