Southern Oregon browns

S
Socaaron
So it started OFF as an idea and a desire that gradually grew into a plan. The idea came from "Fishing in Oregon". You probably already own this wonderful bible of lakes, rivers, and streams, but if you don't I highly recommend picking it up. I've had one in my possession since I was 8 and even though the most current edition is 9 years out of date it is a very handy book and a must have.
One night while perusing this book looking for a future fishing trip I found it, the perfect water, location, and conditions for some trophy bows and browns. But the time wasn't right the book told me to wait. I waited 3 months eagerly anticipating. During this time the rest of the plan came together. And as with any fishing trip there were some snags, actually a lot of snags before we could get under way. I wont bore you with the details but long story short, A buddy was invited, gear was purchased, a car and kayak were rented and OFF we went. We left Portland a little after 11pm and 4 1/2hrs later arrived at our destination. Kimball State park. A short few hrs in the car before first light were spent unsuccessfully trying to get some sleep. I was too excited and uncomfortable, sleep would not come. Fast forward and the kayak is packed and launched and we drift down this languid beautiful river. But this beautiful clear water reveals one problem...fish. Where the heck are they. We see no sign of them on our float, no fish rising to take flies, no fish scurrying away from our shadow, no fish jumping. We stop a few times at some likely water to no avail. And then it happens, Splash! A more welcome sight could not have been seen when 20yrds off our starboard side this beckoning trout leaps. I dig my paddle in to hold us steady as my buddy throws multiple casts towards the bank where the fishy was spotted. He has no luck so I take my turn. First cast is out and almost to the boat a monster rises with his mouth open to inhale my lure, but then he spots us and away he goes. But we've done it we've found some fish. We hurriedly beach the kayak and start bank fishing. My buddy goes upstream to try and work the waters where we found the first fish, I decide to work this lovely back eddy near our landing spot. I get one decent sized guy chasing my lure in but not much else, and then I spot them, the one's the book foretold, the monsters. But these big browns did not get big by being dumb. I even tried laying in the grass on my belly to hide from them but browns are wily and would not be deceived. By now the fish are more active and periodic leaps give away their location. I work one likely area and on my second cast it's fish on! My first Wood brown and he's a decent 14-15in 2-3 pounder. A few more casts lands me his big brother(the shirtless pic). We spend the rest of the morning working up and down the area, more big guys are spotted by no fish are caught. We head back to set up camp and prepare for the evening bite. For the evening we move downriver to the day use area. Beautiful deep undercut banks, riffle-backs, side eddies, logs jams with pools, a fly fisherman's wet(get it) dream. But alas we weren't fly fishing(i'm working on learning) and only managed to pull 2 resident browns out 12-14in. We decided for the next morning to hike into our "honey hole" due to how tiring paddling back upstream had been the day before. We miss the spot by a few hundred yards but still find some very fishy water and I pull another 2 nice resident browns out and miss 2 other hook sets. But back to the hole we go. For today I decided to run a brown trout colored lure and boy oh boy did it pay OFF. Every few casts it was Fish on! Including my new record 6-8lber. I ended up with 12 for the morning before the fish got tired of us and the bite was off.
While we didn't manage to catch one of the monster 20lbers(my buddy didn't even get a fish) we had a fun trip. All fish were released unharmed after a quick photo, and as you can see one fish even attempted a open mouth kiss(never on the first date geez!). If you paid attention you know where we went, and I'll definitely be going back next years, my only regret is that due to uncontrollable circumstances the trip happened during the same days as the Trillium fish off but I did get some trophys of my own! Sorry for the mini novel but just wanted to share and concise was hard!

• 2012-09-10 17.21.09.jpg
  • 2012-09-10 17.22.58.jpg
  • 2012-09-10 17.19.10.jpg
  • 2012-09-10 17.24.59.jpg
  • K.jpg
Last edited:
M
Mad dog
Man....you are gonna get Crucified for your fish handling, or lack of fish handling skills!!! :( :rolleyes:

The Wood is a catch and release fishery, don't stick your fingers through the gill plates and let them hang like that for a photo! :naughty:

Reactions: neverbackdown7
S
Socaaron
thanks for the advice. noted for the future!

N
neverbackdown7
Curious about the one next to the fishing pole, was it released? Cuz that's usually something you do if you intend to keep the fish. Not being a jerk just saying.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Mad dog said:
Man....you are gonna get Crucified for your fish handling, or lack of fish handling skills!!! :( :rolleyes:

The Wood is a catch and release fishery, don't stick your fingers through the gill plates and let them hang like that for a photo! :naughty:

Yeah, it's a real turn off about this forum. Some People are overly critical here. Nice fish. Looks like a great trip. I bet every one of those fish is still alive and well.

T
Throbbit _Shane
jamisonace said:
Yeah, it's a real turn off about this forum. Some People are overly critical here. Nice fish. Looks like a great trip. I bet every one of those fish is still alive and well.

Very nice fish! But I did see the one picture Mad dog was talking about and that one might of struggled to make it but who knows.

Ill have to make it down there some time. Some great rivers around there!

I
idahojeff
Very nice browns! Thanks for the pics. Were you using spinners?

M
Mad dog
jamisonace said:

Overly critical??? :think: C'MON MAN!!! :rolleyes:

C
Coastaldweller
The Wood river is one of my favorites!

H
hcole
Beautiful fish. As others indicated, just do some research on proper fish handling if you plan on catch and release. Laying a fish in the grass for a photo isn't gonna give it the best chance for survival. It's best if the fish is never removed from the water but if a photo is necessary try and minimize the time it's out of the water by just lifting it out of the river briefly while the photo Is taken. It's not overly critical, it's just the proper way to treat a living thing you'd like to continue living. I've handled fish similarly and wouldn't know any better if never educated about such things.

Last edited:
H
hcole
jamisonace said:

No one is being overly critical. Just providing some insight to someone who seems genuinely interested in doing what's best for the fish.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
You're the one that used the term "crucified" Mad Dog. You don't think crucifying someone on a public forum is being overly critical?

Anyway, I was agreeing with you not criticizing you.

My apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Mad dog said:
Overly critical??? :think: C'MON MAN!!! :rolleyes:

S
Socaaron
No mad dog was completely right I totally bonehead handled some of the fish in a attempt to snap a quick pic. I didn't take it too critically but more as a learning/coaching opportunity. Yes every fish was released and swam away without any help from me. Most of the fish were actually dehooked and released while still in the water as I didn't take their photos. And the gear was not a spinner not really a spoon. It was a 1/4oz brown trout colored thomas bouyant, I love those lures for trout as they've produced extremely well for me over the years

N
nwkiller
great story, great post...thanks

R
rippin fish lips
Socaaron said:
It was a 1/4oz brown trout colored thomas bouyant, I

Thats one of the best Thomas bouyants out there. Go down to 1 size smaller in low gin clear water and it's game over for those trout!

M
Mad dog
Socaaron said:
No mad dog was completely right I totally bonehead handled some of the fish in a attempt to snap a quick pic. I didn't take it too critically but more as a learning/coaching opportunity. Yes every fish was released and swam away without any help from me. Most of the fish were actually dehooked and released while still in the water as I didn't take their photos. And the gear was not a spinner not really a spoon. It was a 1/4oz brown trout colored thomas bouyant, I love those lures for trout as they've produced extremely well for me over the years

Sorry Socaaron, didn't mean to sound too harsh! Just warning about the potential fallout headed your way from holding a fish in that manner that was to be released like that! :naughty:

They were very beautiful browns and they can be very spooky in the wood! Nice job! :clap:

As a side note; the ODFW would like to have the Browns and any brooks in the tributaries to the wood or the wood itself removed from the system so they don't compete with the native redband rainbows and the bull trout. It was on this years listed proposals but I never did hear if the passed it or not? If it passed it would have had some sort of bag limit for the wood for those browns.

The Wood is just one of those places that should never....ever....be talked about on the net!!! :naughty: ;) It makes me a little uptight when people talk about it openly :rolleyes: Sorry for jumping you like that! :D

Reactions: lilsalmon