Old school vs new school for Salmon in the rivers

Q
qwapaw
As most of you know, I'm not the youngest Rooster in the barnyard. For many years
(25 or so) we used whole herring on the double hook system and set up a slow roll with about 2-3 ounces of weight, and knocked the Chinook in the Siuslaw dead every fall. Now nobody uses a whole hearring, they are all plug cut. I have had a little success with plug cut herring, but wonder why the whole herring doesn't work anymore. I have tried it a couple times and don't know if it just doesn't work, or if it was a day that we were not going to get a hit no matter what. Any ideas on why we plug cut the herring now, I would love to here it. Thanks, and I hope I see you on the Siuslaw this year and you have a net up ready to net that nice big Nook. Tight Lines, Dan

B
beaverfan
I would imagine the only reason to "plug cut" would be it's easier for people to get a proper roll.

Irishrover
Irishrover
qwapaw said:
As most of you know, I'm not the youngest Rooster in the barnyard. For many years
(25 or so) we used whole herring on the double hook system and set up a slow roll with about 2-3 ounces of weight, and knocked the Chinook in the Siuslaw dead every fall. Now nobody uses a whole hearring, they are all plug cut. I have had a little success with plug cut herring, but wonder why the whole herring doesn't work anymore. I have tried it a couple times and don't know if it just doesn't work, or if it was a day that we were not going to get a hit no matter what. Any ideas on why we plug cut the herring now, I would love to here it. Thanks, and I hope I see you on the Siuslaw this year and you have a net up ready to net that nice big Nook. Tight Lines, Dan

The only reason to plug cut herring is to get a roll. If you can get a good roll without the cut then you are good to go. We used to tie our rigs with the top hook as a slider. Put the top hook through the head and the second back in the tail section. To get the roll we would pull on the leader at the top hook and put a bend in the fish. This would cause our fish to roll the more the bend the faster the roll. On the plug cut (the idea came from one of those old salmon plugs) the roll comes from the double angle cut.

I don't do either anymore. I use a whole herring brined in salt, laundry blueing, and powdered milk. Then I put the head of the herring in a nose clip which holds the herring. I either run the first hook through the back of the herring and trail the bottom hook or sometimes I leave the hooks free right out of the nose clip next to the herring. Some times right above the nose clip I run a small spinner blade. Last year I posted a picture of the rig on here. I got the Idea from the set up called the Rouge River rig. That small blade does not bother the roll. I like the nose clips because you don't have to mess with the cutting of the plug cut and the finn on the nose clip gives you a standard good roll every time. I'll try to find that picture I think I posted that in the spring of 09'. Here is a picture of a springer from the Columbia caught on the nose clip rig. I made a nose clip believer out of my buddy holding the fish.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
I think I'm switching to the newest fad. :D
Never have to re-bait, just open it up and stuff your secret "mush" inside. ;)

SCP-17LadyBug.jpg

Dont hear too much about sardines either... hmmm... I know they are eatin' the hell out of them cause I see schools of coho pound them off the jetties and in the bay.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Those super baits are a joke. as for the cut its just easier and simpler for some people so everone doing it learned from someone else and it spread and somehow became a standard. lots of old times still do what you do with a hole bait.

J
JeannaJigs
Thuggin4Life said:
Those super baits are a joke. as for the cut its just easier and simpler for some people so everone doing it learned from someone else and it spread and somehow became a standard. lots of old times still do what you do with a hole bait.

WHAT!? No way! I got those super baits and intend on using them this fall. NO BAIT HANDS! Haha but no, way cheaper, and they look sick in the water...and...I'll catch a fish on one, just for you Andy. But really, I hate the hassle of dealing with herring. I think it's the eyeballs....I don't like the eyeballs looking at me as I chop off their little heads.

D
diggindan
I'm with GeeNuh, I hates the stink and mess! Baiting the crab traps is bad enough. I usually troll spinners but looking at picking up some artificial cut plugs.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thuggin4Life said:
Those super baits are a joke.

One very large Chinook thought they were a joke this morning too! :lol:

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:

Have you any idea what your saying!! haha. I know a few guides that have completely gone to these things instead of live bait. Salmon key in on scent and presentation. If you get the presentation right, (speed), then your going to get bit. I'm going to try it side by side tomorrow and see which does better. IF, any fish decide to show themselves at all. Still a little early for consitant bites up here.

T
Thuggin4Life
I know they work I am just saying that I prefer to imitate a more natural presentation when trolling

J
JeannaJigs
You haven't seen the "black jack" super bait cut plug. Looks just like the real deal :) You will see!

Q
qwapaw
Great input everyone. I love it. Now I have lots to ponder while I am thinking about Nook fishing. Tight lines, and Fish On. Dan

S
steelhead_stalkers
The black jack is nice but there is one that actually looks like a fresh herring. The blue hawaiian is almost an exact match to a fresh herring swimming around! I held it up to a fresh herring that decided to bite a spinner we were using and they are very close. Fresh herring have a little more green and yellow on them. Pretty cool looking actually instead of the blue after they have been frozen.

T
Thuggin4Life
I guess my new goal should be to soak a blueish silverish rag in herring oil and cut it into stips and try to catch a nook with that then huh?

S
steelhead_stalkers
That would be cool. ;) I have a hard time believing that the brad's will work better than the real thing but time will tell. I like the thought of not having to deal with bait though.

M
Mike123
I don't think it will work better or worse.. I just hate messing with bait. But I did try jigging for herring yesterday for the hell of it. Got a few. Seen couple boats getting hundreds of them! There's no way I'll ever buy herring again.

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah be nice but you would have to go down the day before you want to fish and get you bait.

T
Thuggin4Life
steelhead_stalkers said:
That would be cool. ;) I have a hard time believing that the brad's will work better than the real thing but time will tell. I like the thought of not having to deal with bait though.

the day they let us fish 2 rods which will be never i will try it.