Old school glass fly rod

troutdude
troutdude
Stumbled onto this 8.5' "beer bottle brown" rod, a few weeks ago at a garage sale. It is not labeled, or marked, except on the butt cap. On the cap--etched I believe--are the words "Feather Weight". It also has a rather unique looking, lower reel seat locking ring.

Based on the overall design, blank color/composition, butt cap marking, type and color of the ferrules...I'm guessing an early-to-mid 60's Wright & McGill. But, I'm not very sure of this. It also looks a lot, like early Fenwick / Lamiglas blanks too.

If anyone can help me I.D. this rod, I'd be tickled pink. Oh and price was right--only $10!

Old school fly rod 1.jpg Old school fly rod 2.jpg

Old school fly rod 3.jpg Old school fly rod 4.jpg

E
eugene1
troutdude, on the butt, looks like maybe some foreign language to me? I see "Figth..." can't quite make it out. Maybe get a clearer pic with a ton of light on it, or trace over it with paper and pencil? Hope it's worth some bux! Good find for the price.

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
Not the best pic. Even hard to see myself, close up. But, it say's "feather weight". That's why I'm leaning towards, an early Wright & McGill rod. I uses to have, some later "featherweight", yellow glass rods.

B
BlueWater
troutdude said:
Not the best pic. Even hard to see myself, close up. But, it say's "feather weight". That's why I'm leaning towards, an early Wright & McGill rod. I uses to have, some later "featherweight", yellow glass rods.

I thought Wright & McGill used yellow blanks and black wraps?

J
JeannaJigs
It looks like an old wright and McGill I have sitting in my garage

troutdude
troutdude
BlueWater said:
I thought Wright & McGill used yellow blanks and black wraps?

Yes, they did. From the 60's and up. But, I believe they may have used the beer bottle brown blanks, in the 50's.

In the mid-50's, I believe that Lamiglas started out with such rod blanks. I know that Fenwick did for sure--I've seen plenty of Fenny's made in '57, '58 and '59. And the Shoff Tackle company sold their brand; but I believe those were the Lami blanks. It's kind of confusing...

troutdude
troutdude
JeannaJigs said:
It looks like an old wright and McGill I have sitting in my garage

Jeanna, does your rod have any markings?