A little sharing and looking for some input

T
TimberTodd
I have 2 rods that I am looking at having redone. The first is a 8.5' Fenwick rod that my dad had custom made for me when I was just a kid (40 plus years ago). Its an SH1021 blank with ceramic guides. I cut my teeth fishing salmon and steelhead on the southern coastal rivers with it. I wish it was a 9.5' rod. It would make a great bobber/jig setup for steelhead. I am thinking of having it completely redone and use it for surf fishing and a backup steelhead rod. The second is a rod that was given to me several years ago. Here is where I need some input. The blank is a one piece 9' Fenwick glass. I am not sure which one as whomever wrapped it covered all the markings with the exception of part of the emblem. It has casting guides that are staggered clockwise the length of the rod. Also the butte section slips on and is tightened by a compression nut. The overall butte to tip length is 11'. This rod feels like it is on a fly rod blank. I am contemplating having it done up as a fly rod. Can anyone tell me the reason behind the orientation of the guides? I think I read somewhere that it was to accommodate both baitcasting and spinning reels. Also can anyone recommend a good rod builder, preferably in the Washington county area?
IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

P
pinstriper
Trot it down to Olie Damon's and see what they say?

E
eugene1
TimberTodd said:
It has casting guides that are staggered clockwise the length of the rod.

The one with the rotated guides is called a spiral wrapped rod. I know that type of guide placement is popular with kokanee trolling anglers for whatever reason, but I'm not very familiar with them. What kind of action does it have?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Spiral wrapping is done to minimize the amount of torque experienced by the user when fighting a fish or casting. Micro guides are another way of addressing the issue.

The guides on spinning rods are aligned with the arc of flexure when the rod is loaded (like when you are fighting a fish) but the guides of a casting rod are 180˚ opposed to the arc. So by spiral-wrapping the guides, you can have most of the feel of a spinning rod, with the power of a casting setup.

No clue on rod builders in the area. Me, I would let it be the way it is. You should have one heck of a good rod for crankbaits there.

Reactions: eugene1
Chromatose
Chromatose
Shaun hit the nail dead on. But my question to you TT is, Why change what has worked for you? The process of a remake on either rod may hinder your rods. Heat and sharp implements are used to remove the old epoxy/Cork/Thread and ferrule. Old Glass can be very temperamental and one slip of the knife or over heating of the blank can render your old friend useless. If both rods are in good working order ( IMHO ) leave them alone. If your looking to have a rod built to your specifications of 9.5 Blank with a power rating of your choice. Then you can have all the bells and whistles added to your wrap. Keep the memories in working order. My .02 Cents.

troutdude
troutdude
Congrats on having, a couple of nice Fenny's! Those have been my go to rods--for the most part--since circa 1965. However, I'm of the same ilk as Chromie on this topic.

BTW, some of the good bass fisherman, on here, build their casting rods w/ spiral wraps. Maybe some of them, will chime in with more information (pros, cons, etc).

Ollie Damon's can probably steer you towards, a good rod builder in your neck o' the woods.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for all of the input guys. The only reason I was considering redoing the spiral wrap rod was because I have never used it and really do not have a use for it in its current configuration. I was considering just updating the on one my dad had made for me with new guides and such. Thanks for the insight Chromatose. I definitely do not want to take a gamble on damaging that rod. It means WAY to much to me. I can use it still as a surf rod and backup steelhead rod.