Vintage Lamiglas rod discovery

troutdude
troutdude
A few years ago I stumbled onto a spinning rod that, I immediately knew was different. Based upon the components, I pegged it at being manufactured in the 50's or early 60's. Also based on that, and many many years of digging through rods literally every where I go...my estimate was that, it had to be an early Grizzly (pre Fenwick), or a Lamiglas rod.

It looks a lot like, the rod in the pics (which I found online). It was also these pics that, caused me to again start digging for more information. While not worth a million bucks...here is what I've discovered.

1. Fiberglass blank, purchased at Shoff's Tackle in Washington.
(Owned by Clarence Shoff, inventor of the Patented "Shoff Mouse"
lure in the 1930's, and later a Principal in Lamiglas).
2. The blank was built, by Lamiglas.
3. The blank was purchased, by a Mr. Reeder.
4. Reeder was partners, with Mr. Gill (who later moved to Denver and helped form the infamous "Wright & McGill" company).
5. It was fitted, with a handle and ferrules, and the guides possibly hand wrapped, by the "Reeder & McGill" company.
(did they have machines to do the thread wraps back then?)
6. It's a "Regil" series, 2-piece, 7.60' Steelhead rod.
7. Made in Vancouver, WA.

It's only missing, an O ring on the ferrule. I'd say that it's time, to replace the O ring--and go chase some steel!!! This rod is beggin', to be back on the water. I think that I can hear it...calling...my...name........

Reeder Lamiglas rod ferrules.jpg Reeder Lamiglas rod tip and handle.jpg

My rod, is a close cousin to the example above. The handle on mine, however, has a standard reel seat (not the sliding rings, that you see above).

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Nice score you found and the history is cool!

Instead of fishin' that bad boy I'd put it up for sale and make a little bank! Just me though but it seems to have value beyond it's fishing capabilities!

T
Toyracer38
Sweet find! I'd fish it first, see if it became one of my fav's. I turned my very first fishing rod, one my Grandfather built, into a picture hanger. It's mounted horizontally with frames hanging from the guides.

troutdude
troutdude
Such a capitalist Eugene! <not that I haven't also considered that...LOL>

Toyracer, my gramps also gave me my first rod. It was an Eagle Claw (i.e. Wright & McGill), with a D.A.M. Quick reel. Sadly, they lay in the freezing cold depths of Blue Lake for eternity...from a capsized canoe "event". It would've been cool, to have it hanging in similar fashion. But, I'm not about to jump back into Blue Lake again. It's called BLUE lake, for a r r r r r reason!!! (Not to mention that, is about 350' deep).

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
very cool.