OFF fundraising

Admin
Admin
Dear OFFers,

Time is going, we are not getting younger. My old good Dell had better times, my monitor is not as bright as it should be, and my sight is not as good as it used to be. Some time ago I had to use Ctr+ (110%) so I could read the letters, then 125%, 150%... Now it's time for 175%. The letters are bigger, but they are so blurry... It destroys my eyes even faster, I'll move to 200% even sooner, and so on and so on.

Recently I found out that iMac Retina shows everything on 175% as crispy as on 100%. The only problem - it costs $1.5k - 2k. And I have no money.
The ads on the forum give $50-100 a month that barely covers expenses (hosting, forum license, add-ons, etc). My main business is completely shut down by corona. So... I got a question.

Are there people willing to support OFF by donating some $? I would set something like gofundme or something.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Troutski, sixteenvolt and gfisher2003
S
shiverfix
Yes

• Love
Reactions: Admin
S
sixteenvolt
Definitely

• Love
B
BrandonBeach
You need help buying a PC?

Seriously?

No, thank you. My funds earmarked for charities are destined for people with needs far more dire than yours I’m sure.

Good luck in your quest.

BB

• Sad
Reactions: troutdude
S
shiverfix
I'm sure there are needier people in the world. And I give time and money to charities that help those people. And while I'm not in a financial position to foot the bill for him, I am lucky enough to be in a position to throw some money into the pot. If you aren't, or don't want to for any reason, you can decline without making it an issue. However, I have found very useful information on this FREE site that he provides, and don't mind helping him with what he needs to keep it going.

• Love
Reactions: Troutski, fromthelogo, troutdude and 3 others
G
Gulfstream
absolutely!

• Love
Admin
Admin
BrandonBeach said:

Seriously?

You mean "People are dying... How dare you!"? 🤭

greta.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and NKlamerus
troutdude
troutdude
@BrandonBeach I've never considered permanently banning a member. Until now that is.

I'll take the "how dare you" meme a step further--and suggest that you find another site. One that is also free--and clear of gobs of advertisements.

Anatoliy started this site while he lived here. He did NOT have to keep it up and running when he returned to his homeland. Personally I feel indebted to the man for his kindness, and great site.

But as the proverbial saying goes...to each his own. I guess.

Whatever happened to a "kinder, gentler, nation"?

Reactions: CastingCall
jamisonace
jamisonace
BrandonBeach said:

Seriously?

No, thank you. My funds earmarked for charities are destined for people with needs far more dire than yours I’m sure.

Good luck in your quest.

BB
Even if you feel that way, who says it?

Reactions: troutdude, Admin and SparkyofSoCal
jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, setup up a go fund me or something and I'll contribute. OFF has always been free entertainment for me so I'm happy to pitch in.

• Love
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and Admin
Admin
Admin
troutdude said:
@BrandonBeach I've never considered permanently banning a member. Until now that is.

I'll take the "how dare you" meme a step further--and suggest that you find another site. One that is also free--and clear of gobs of advertisements.
Freedom of speech, dude. )
The guy has the right to have his own opinion and to voice it.

Reactions: CastingCall, Raincatcher and rogerdodger
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
Even if you feel that way, who says it?
EXACTLY! If you haven't got anything nice to say...then DON'T say it.

Reactions: CastingCall
troutdude
troutdude
Admin said:
Freedom of speech, dude. )
The guy has the right to have his own opinion and to voice it.
Maybe so. But rude is rude.

Reactions: NKlamerus, CastingCall and fromthelogo
Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
A lot of people just do not understand what is involved in operating a forum for a decade without making anything. A mostly thankless job, save for the few that do understand and will help that leader out in times of need. I have been crowdfunded a new PC for the same reason and I was so very thankful for the help. One would hope that someone that is on here since 2017 would surely understand this. <shrugs>

On a side note, you can get a really strong refurbished Lenovo tower PC for just a few hundred at New Egg, unless ofc you do have special needs that need to be addressed.

Reactions: JasonInBend and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Leopard Shark said:
A lot of people just do not understand what is involved in operating a forum for a decade without making anything. A mostly thankless job, save for the few that do understand and will help that leader out in times of need. I have been crowdfunded a new PC for the same reason and I was so very thankful for the help. One would hope that someone that is on here since 2017 would surely understand this. <shrugs>

On a side note, you can get a really strong refurbished Lenovo tower PC for just a few hundred at New Egg, unless ofc you do have special needs that need to be addressed.
If there was an applause button...I'd click it now. Very well said.

Reactions: LazyBrewer and DOKF
C
CastingCall
I am in! How much Is needed. Tony

hobster
hobster
CastingCall said:
I am in! How much Is needed. Tony
Hey Tony! How ya been? Good to see you post, hope you have recovered well from those damn fires

hobster
hobster
I’m not sure how I feel about this. This is a great website I’ve been on for many a year and have made some good friends here. I would be glad to contribute to the website but would the money go to OFF or a new computer for the pirate? Arrrrrrr matey I could use a new computer too

C
CastingCall
hobster said:
Hey Tony! How ya been? Good to see you post, hope you have recovered well from those damn fires
All is well! recovery very slow. Bottlenecks of parts making mfg. homes bldg. very slow. Thanks for ur concerns. Tony

Reactions: hobster and troutdude
C
CastingCall
BB this FF is not an intitlement it's a gift. Peeps have been kicked off other sites for much less words. TD should ban you for spitting on a gift (FF). Tony