OFF fundraising

jamisonace
jamisonace
Dean said:
I don't think you understand how software works. Generally speaking, for something like an open forum, you fund it via ad revenue (which is exactly what Admin is doing). Many people operating resources / sites that are "labors of love" just pay for it out-of-pocket (for example, I am a software engineer and I maintain a server that I lose money on and don't ever attempt to recoup my costs because it's a hobby server). The other popular model to generate revenue is a subscription. There is also optional subscription services (Patreon for example).

In this case, as I've noted, Admin is paying for his server costs using ad revenue. That means that I am actually not freeloading at all. By patronizing this site, I increase their web traffic. By helping other fishermen with advice (which is the majority of what I've done when I'm not here arguing with people who have no clue what they are talking about and are quick to anger), I also help their search engine rankings. The next time somebody searches for "kid-friendly fishing" or "fishing at St. Louis ponds" they might find this helpful map I drew along with the associated advice, which drives additional traffic to the site. Due to the current model of generating revenue via advertising, this helps the site. Cool, right?

OK - so now we've covered the fact that I'm not a freeloader but I am, in fact, helping the forum every time I reply to a thread with advice. Whew. So, what's this about donating money? Is it to keep the lights on at OFF? Not at all. It's for a new laptop. If it were to keep the lights on at OFF, I might react differently. If OFF didn't have ad revenue, I might react differently. If you weren't shouting down anybody who has a different opinion than you, I might react differently.

Anyway, @Admin, if you want some help reducing monthly costs or just another set of eyes, I could potentially help out there. You mentioned that you are getting $50-100 a month in ad revenue. The licensing for the forum software you are using should be costing about $55 a year:

Registering a domain name costs about $9 a year. I'm assuming you're using shared hosting, not a VPS; so hosting I imagine would be around $10 a month. Let's say $15 just to be safe. For reference, here is the recommended managed hosting provider for XenoForo. Based on what you told me about ad revenue this is what your yearly cashflow should look like in a given year:

Ad revenue: $900
XenForo Licensing fees: -$55
ICANN domain registration fees: -$9
Server hosting fees: $-180 (15/month * 12)
Total: $656

You should be coming out cash positive. If your hosting is costing a lot more than that, maybe migrate to KnownHost? They are active on the XenoForo forums and would probably respond in a timely manner. Anyway, @jamisonace, if you have anything useful or factual to say, I'm open to it. But thus far you are opining purely based on emotions, and that isn't going to convince me. Tight lines, friends.
Here's facts: you just showed him cash positive $244/year and don't understand how that isn't enough to keep a computer running not to mention other business related costs that weren't in your detailed accounting of his p and l which you pretend to know something about.

You deny him help by claiming he was insensitive but I'm the one being emotional. I stand by my assertion that it has nothing to do with that brainwashed brat but instead you're too cheap to help out.

No emotion here. I'm just having fun, how about you?

By the way, there's already an engineer here that thinks he's the smartest person on this forum. Not sure there is room for two of you but it should be fun finding out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
B
BrandonBeach
Troutski said:
Well that was so rude, I do have the power to kick your ass off this site. I will check with the other MODs and we will decide your fate.
I know we are not allowed to belittle or swear at members, all that being said- PhuckYou

Chuck
So what happens to this member?

I would have banned for life for that.

He is a cronny on this board so nothing happens to him?

Please explain.

Have you even bothered to check my history on this board for inappropriate comments? How many did you find?

BB

Reactions: Dean
D
Dean
jamisonace said:
Here's facts: you just showed him cash positive $244/year and don't understand how that isn't enough to keep a computer running not to mention other business related costs that weren't in your detailed accounting of his p and l which you pretend to know something about.
No - I showed him cash positive $656. Did you read my post? If not, please read it before attempting to respond to it. Also who is talking about somebody trying to "keep a computer running"? He wanted to purchase a new computer due to the brightness and pixel density of his current monitor. If he wanted a lower-cost solution, new monitors are cheap and might be a good option. What other business-related costs do you have knowledge of? Do you have something else to add? Because all I see is "this hurt my feelings and I don't like it so it's wrong".

jamisonace said:
You deny him help by claiming he was insensitive but I'm the one being emotional. I stand by my assertion that it has nothing to do with that brainwashed brat but instead you're too cheap to help out.
Again - grown men making fun of an autistic teenager never strikes me as "wow these are mature people who are taking the high road!". Which is fine; I don't have to think you are some wonderful, ethical human. But don't ask me for money and expect me to give it to you while engaging in that kind of behavior. Does that make sense?

jamisonace said:
By the way, there's already an engineer here that thinks he's the smartest person on this forum. Not sure there is room for two of you but it should be fun finding out.
Wait - you assume I think of myself as some elite brainiac simply because I used facts, numbers, and links to back up my position? I mean - I tend to make decisions based on research, but I don't think that makes me super smart or anything. Just maybe somewhere around average. And I can't wait to meet this other engineer. Other engineer, SHOW THYSELF! Using our combined knowledge of simple arithmetic, we shall become invincible!

Last edited:
Reactions: gfisher2003
B
BrandonBeach
I would appreciate an answer by the mods for my above question. In this thread preferably.

BB

Admin
Admin
Dean said:
I used facts, numbers, and links to back up my position?
I didn't want to touch it, but you keep asking. )
Your "facts" look as a fact, that the most popular song of The Eagles was "If you're going to Sacramento, don't forget to put a cactus in your armpit". ))

A 15 years old forum loaded with pictures and shared hosting? That means more $40 than $15 monthly.
Open a forum page in DevTools. What do you see? A web developer would see Cloudflare and webp pictures. That would mean a "Pro" plan, which means $20 monthly.
Can connect to the forum with Tapatalk and don't see ads? That means another $10 monthly.
The forum is loaded with 3rd party addons. Recurring cost of just 2 of them bigger than the cost of the core XenForo software.
And so on, and so on.

It's not enough to read wiki for 20 minutes to become an expert. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and troutdude
Admin
Admin
BrandonBeach said:
I would appreciate an answer by the mods for my above question. In this thread preferably.
Your posts in this thread are useless for a topic starter. All you do in this thread is drawing attention to your personality.
You're locked out of this thread.

Reactions: Snopro and troutdude
S
Snopro
rogerdodger said:
my advice is for everyone to just relax and get back to fishing. or crabbing. or digging clams. or all 3.
QFT from page 2.

Oh and....

m8qnbZt-1024x504.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Clbagshaw and Admin
D
Dean
Admin said:
Your "facts" look as a fact, that the most popular song of The Eagles was "If you're going to Sacramento, don't forget to put a cactus in your armpit". ))

A 15 years old forum loaded with pictures and shared hosting? That means more $40 than $15 monthly.
Open a forum page in DevTools. What do you see? A web developer would see Cloudflare and webp pictures. That would mean a "Pro" plan, which means $20 monthly.
Can connect to the forum with Tapatalk and don't see ads? That means another $10 monthly.
The forum is loaded with 3rd party addons. Recurring cost of just 2 of them bigger than the cost of the core XenForo software.
And so on, and so on.

You could almost certainly lower your monthly costs. Source: I've been doing web development for many years. The broken English attempt at goading me is incredibly immature, by the way.

Basically, this is like me saying I need money for a new laptop because my car insurance costs a $600 a month. Then an insurance rep chimes in and says "you're paying too much for insurance. That's absurd! I know because I work in the insurance industry and have so for decades." and then I tell them that they are wrong and know nothing about insurance, citing that I'm paying $600 a month for my insurance due to the fact that I don't know what I'm doing. Like - I'm not debating that you're paying what you're saying you are per month. I'm just saying that you could be paying less. For example, I have hosted a start-up with far more concurrent users than this for less. But forget I mentioned it. Jeez. Let's get back to fishing.

DOKF
DOKF
Unhappy with the operations of this forum?

You have way too much time on your hands that would be beter spent at the bench tying flies, or on the water casting said flies.

Like my mom use to say to my siblings and I when we were fighting; "Get outside and play!"

jamisonace
jamisonace
Dean said:
No - I showed him cash positive $656. Did you read my post? If not, please read it before attempting to respond to it. Also who is talking about somebody trying to "keep a computer running"? He wanted to purchase a new computer due to the brightness and pixel density of his current monitor. If he wanted a lower-cost solution, new monitors are cheap and might be a good option. What other business-related costs do you have knowledge of? Do you have something else to add? Because all I see is "this hurt my feelings and I don't like it so it's wrong".

Again - grown men making fun of an autistic teenager never strikes me as "wow these are mature people who are taking the high road!". Which is fine; I don't have to think you are some wonderful, ethical human. But don't ask me for money and expect me to give it to you while engaging in that kind of behavior. Does that make sense?

Wait - you assume I think of myself as some elite brainiac simply because I used facts, numbers, and links to back up my position? I mean - I tend to make decisions based on research, but I don't think that makes me super smart or anything. Just maybe somewhere around average. And I can't wait to meet this other engineer. Other engineer, SHOW THYSELF! Using our combined knowledge of simple arithmetic, we shall become invincible!
Sorry, I got bored after the first couple lines. I'm sure it was a great novel tho.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
jamisonace
jamisonace
Admin said:

And so on, and so on.

Hey buddy, do you have venmo? I'll send $100 right now. $50 from me, $25 for Genius Dean and $25 for Brandon.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude, Troutski and Admin
A
Alan
I can do PayPa, let me know

Reactions: Troutski and Admin
Admin
Admin
jamisonace said:
Hey buddy, do you have venmo? I'll send $100 right now. $50 from me, $25 for Genius Dean and $25 for Brandon.
Thank you, my friend.
No venmo for urkainians. Iron curtain. )

hobster
hobster
No Venmo but made the final 8 in the Euro. Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: rogerdodger and Admin
Admin
Admin
hobster said:
No Venmo but made the final 8 in the Euro. Congrats!
thanks! just unbelievable!