ODFW survey

B
beaverfan
15% is not much above inflation over 7 years, not 1 year. Inflation over the last 7 years has to be 10-12%. I'm glad that it's above inflation. It will give them more money to put fish in our rivers and more money to figure out how we can have a sustainable Salmon poplulation and more money to get kids into fishing and more money to build handicap docks and access.

I just did the math and I'm paying 20% more rent for a slightly less nice apartment than I was in 7 years ago.

Ya we should privitize ODFW, that's gonna work now they will have to charge more money to put more fish in the river and they will charge even more money because now it's privitized and they gotta line there pockets.

Last edited:
F
fishkiller
beaverfan said:
15% is not much above inflation over 7 years, not 1 year. Inflation over the last 7 years has to be 10-12%. I'm glad that it's above inflation. It will give them more money to put fish in our rivers and more money to figure out how we can have a sustainable Salmon poplulation and more money to get kids into fishing and more money to build handicap docks and access.

Or pay their pensions and legacy costs!

T
Thuggin4Life
In 20 years fishing will be expensive and there won't be enough fish to even fish unless odfw starts to manage there money a bit better and start thinking smarter. with all the fee's i better be able to back my boat into the mckenzie at hayden bridge after a day in the salt to run the sal out of my motor without having to find the cinder bricks that make up the quick fix for the ramp. Either way we can't do anything about it so lets just hope the money actually benifits us in some way where it hasn't before.(maybe more hatery fish on the umpqua...just an idea)

F
fishkiller
Ya we should privitize ODFW, that's gonna work now they will have to charge more money to put more fish in the river and they will charge even more money because now it's privitized and they gotta line there pockets.

They would do it to try to make a profit and be self sufficient.

B
beaverfan
I totally agree that ODFW can and needs to do a lot to run more efficiently, that's part of the reason I'm going to school to be a stream biologist. There is no question that the way they do things sometimes is half-assed but seriously there have been "some" improvements over the last ten years and in order for those improvements to continue it's gonna cost more money.

I'm disabled, living on Social Security and I completely understand the need for fee increases. Sucks they have to do it when the economy sucks so much, but if they stopped doing there thing because the economy sucked we'd all be a lot more mad. Give it 3 or 4 years before you judge the increase because that's when you'll see the improvement. When more Salmon/Steel are returning.

F
fishkiller
Give it 3 or 4 years before you judge the increase because that's when you'll see the improvement. When more Salmon/Steel are returning.

We still have gillnetters, bottom trawlers, seal lions and a few damns. How do we ever expect the runs to recover?:)

B
beaverfan
I will also admit that it looks kinda bleek for the Columbia runs until those things are "better managed", but again it will take more money to fund the research that will one day get them taken care of.

T
Throbbit _Shane
They better not increase the price again for atleast 4 years.

T
Thuggin4Life
Throbbit _Shane said:
They better not increase the price again for atleast 4 years.

Yeah and not until the give my unemployed ass a job!

H
halibuthitman
fishkiller said:
Privatize ODFW.
for the love of god no!!!!!! if you think odf is greedy put some suite and ties in charge of this! Now $30 bucks is a big hit, but if it sticks at that for 7 years well then im cool with that. This poll is the first thing ive seen this year that concerns me... it means they are trying to target their core group an then patronizing them, so if odf sees stocking ponds as the new trend they will take money from steelhead and salmon to fund a more aggressive pond stocking program. They are trying to get a feel for where the futer fishermen are coming from... and who they are. ( this idea was probably brought up by an outside enity odf is paying) if it looks like out of staters are a core group they will come up with programs to target them.... so, carefull how you answer the poll:confused:

L
livin2fish
beaverfan said:
Exactly. The increasing cost of gear limits my fishing far more than a few extra bucks when I buy my license. Ya ODFW is confused but in order for us to ever have decent runs it's going to cost more money, so we all have to pay more to fish.
Wrong,:naughty: it doesn't take more money to make better runs it takes better management.

L
livin2fish
beaverfan said:
Do you guys honestly think that ODFW can plant more fish for the same amount of money? Granted there's things ODFW can do to run more cost effective but if we want more fish we have to pay for them. I think as a whole fishing is better now than it was 10 years ago. Do you guys think that could have happened without the last fee increase?
Where exactly were you ten years ago man, the fishing now is not better than it was ten years ago.

B
beaverfan
Ok dude, look at the numbers of fish returning. They are higher now than ten years ago in almost every possible run. Go through the numbers.

L
livin2fish
Hey beaver, this is all for the sake of bsin' and fun, but who is countin' the fish, the odfw. I've just seen too much crooked ***t from government agencies and it's hard to believe much anymore, nothin' personal and no hard feelin's. Fishon.:):think::):think::)

J
joesnuffy
i took the survey but the questions/answers they allow you were mostly crap.

This is just a PR campain and they are trying to figure out howw to target us.

Where is the survey that asks us "How are they doing?" or "What do i think they could do to improve the fishing?"

B
beaverfan
livin2fish said:
Hey beaver, this is all for the sake of bsin' and fun, but who is countin' the fish, the odfw. I've just seen too much crooked ***t from government agencies and it's hard to believe much anymore, nothin' personal and no hard feelin's. Fishon.:):think::):think::)

Ya man no hard feeling at all man! Your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine :D I don't want everyone to think I'm like all about ODFW and how they run things cuz I'm not, but I do think if we want ODFW to do have the stuff we've been asking them to do they're gonna need more money to do it. More money and better management. If they just charge more money and don't change anything else then we're gonna have some problems.

L
livin2fish
beaverfan said:
ya man no hard feeling at all man! Your entitled to your opinion and i'm entitled to mine :d i don't want everyone to think i'm like all about odfw and how they run things cuz i'm not, but i do think if we want odfw to do have the stuff we've been asking them to do they're gonna need more money to do it. More money and better management. If they just charge more money and don't change anything else then we're gonna have some problems.
yaaa brother now were talkin', but what can we do about it as people and fisherman?

F
fishhunter
lower liscence prices and you will have more people buying which equals more money. You probably wouldn't notice more pressure as the people that don't fish often are what ODFW have cast aside. I will be buying my liscence right after I get a loan on my car...:shock::D

B
beaverfan
livin2fish said:
yaaa brother now were talkin', but what can we do about it as people and fisherman?

Me I'm gonna go work for em as a stream biologist, as for everyone else all we can do is send emails and show up at there input hearings.

F
fishkiller
beaverfan said:
Me I'm gonna go work for em as a stream biologist, as for everyone else all we can do is send emails and show up at there input hearings.

Be part of the solution, not the problem. Good luck. INNOVATION is the key to the runs survival.