Oak Grove fork for trout?

B
bootpdx
I want to get in a little fishing this Friday, but I'm confused over the regs. I know most rivers and streams close Oct. 31, but are there exceptions? For instance, in the special regs, it doesn't list the closure dates for the Oak Grove Fork. Are there other spots to do a little trout fishing this Friday?

Thanks!

R
rainORsnow1
Detroit and green peter are open year round and Detroit especially has got a lot of fish recently

M
Modest_Man
bootpdx said:
I want to get in a little fishing this Friday, but I'm confused over the regs. I know most rivers and streams close Oct. 31, but are there exceptions? For instance, in the special regs, it doesn't list the closure dates for the Oak Grove Fork. Are there other spots to do a little trout fishing this Friday?

Thanks!

Look at page 46 of the regulations. All creeks close for trout the 31st. Some open earlier, with most opening in May.

B
bootpdx
Thanks, so I guess it's time to hit the lakes. I've never fished Hagg, so I may give that a try. Thanks for the info.

R
rainORsnow1
Check out my posting called lights out at hagg lake. A lot of people are having a lot of success. Fish are ranging from new stockers at 8" to hold covers in the 20" plus range. Tight lines....

B
bootpdx
rainORsnow1 said:
Check out my posting called lights out at hagg lake. A lot of people are having a lot of success. Fish are ranging from new stockers at 8" to hold covers in the 20" plus range. Tight lines....

Sweet! Thanks!

R
rainORsnow1
No prob! Pink spin glows are hot right now at about 20'. Try green wedding rings as well. Always good at hagg

B
bootpdx
rainORsnow1 said:
No prob! Pink spin glows are hot right now at about 20'. Try green wedding rings as well. Always good at hagg

Yeah....I'll be fishin my fly rod, I was going to strip a bugger. Mainly have a new pair of waders to test out.

M
MattZ
did well at hagg on the fly today. started with a black sparkle blob and a tan flashy bugger as search patterns. got a couple knocks early on and landed one. after a spell of impatience i switched to a new attractor pattern as the first fly and a little dainty green cdc damsel pattern on the point. i probably found a couple schools of fish, but in the next hour or so i landed 5 more, had 10 or 12 good hits. it was raining and my slippery hands missed a few slip strikes. a few fish were boiling in the rain, either chasing immature damsels/dragons, maybe onto a chironomid hatch, or just chasing some perch fry or something at the surface. they weren't rises, just surface disturbances, and my buddy fishing from shore couldn't see the fish. 2 of my fish came form casting at these boils.

I was fishing my 3wt with a floating line and maybe 16ft or so of leader so they weren't deep. i'd guess between 1 and 8 ft of the surface. i was tubing probably 20-30 meters off the bank, traveling parallel to the banks and casting at angles with varying retrieves. slowish was best.

Only one of the fish was worth calling decent, but all were in very good condition, chubby and fit.

M
MattZ
I am even considering doing it again tomorrow if i get enough done in the morning. no need to show up early, nothing bit until after 10.

B
bootpdx
Right on, thanks for the info MattZ. I'm gonna be wading, was gonna hit the arms where scoggins and wall creeks come in. 16' leader? Do you use a 7.5 leader then add on to it with tippet? I have a 5 wt with floating line, although the end tends to sink after awhile. A float tube would be nice..........

M
MattZ
i was in one of the arms when i had success. I fish a very long leader. its something i have grown used to over the years. but it helps when fishing a dry line to get the flies down just that much more. I use Rio 12 ft knotless leaders and add to them.

B
bootpdx
I'll have to pick a few of those up next time, makes sense to get it down deeper. I got my new waders today, so hopefully I'll have some pics to post after Friday.

M
MattZ
it will take a while to get used to a long leader, but its one of the best things you can do for your fly fishing. once you can cast a 16ft plus leader, you will catch more fish, simply from not spooking them.