Nymphing for winter steelhead

H
halibuthitman
Great... Another self loathing nympher.. Get some counseling, we love you and want to see you get better-

S
Sirdriftsalot.
:lol: nice, thank you for the kind words, why so serious, being a college student I can't afford a shrink currently, but I have psych class on tuesday I can talk to my professor and tell her someone from the oregon fishin forum diagnosed me as needing help, I will let you know what she says, hopefully i will find the help I need:D

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I'm bi-polar somedays I swing, some I nymph and some I dredge... I,ll never find the help I need! Lol

F
FlyBum
Sirdriftsalot. said:
insightful flybum, like salmonid philosopher, on river of life :lol:

LoL :confused: You can take things out of context and make it even more funny. Riddle me this: What if you, say, set up a big stone with an egg under it then followed by a swing fly on point. Then fish a dead drift and swing it in at the end? :think: or just fagit the egg.

Kinda like fishing nymphs on a spay rod, it works, but boy it's gay.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
LoL :confused: You can take things out of context and make it even more funny. Riddle me this: What if you, say, set up a big stone with an egg under it then followed by a swing fly on point. Then fish a dead drift and swing it in at the end? :think: or just fagit the egg.
If you hit yourself with that it's gonna hurt... So would that be a truck and trailer with a pup set up?

S
Sirdriftsalot.
halibuthitman said:
I'm bi-polar somedays I swing, some I nymph and some I dredge... I,ll never find the help I need! Lol
Yeah hitman we just need some of that sweet winter steel that is coming our way, by the time it gets any good I will be in my anatomy and physiology 2 class next term and wont be able to do anything except this.
kind regards
PS cool blog by the way,

F
FlyBum
FlyBum said:
Kinda like fishing nymphs on a spay rod, it works, but boy it's gay.

That setup is called dragging the dog behind the car. Or punching a kitten.

S
Sirdriftsalot.
no hold on fly bum werent you just philosophising about how less is more and then you come up with an intruder following a nymphing rig, sure lets throw some split shot on that wonderful hot mess just to top it off and then I can run a sink tip from my indicator to my fly line:lol: You were right early about how they are really easier then we give them credit for because i have connected with winters on the applegate by swinging the end of my drift, but the swing is different, instead of a horizontal traditional swing, this obviosly swung vertically because of the bulky bubble indicator, but if you could make an indicator that dove at the end of a drift, um like it had some kind of geometrical shape that would catch water and depress into the water table. then you could be the very first swimpher;)

H
halibuthitman
Punching the kitten... Your killing me! Funny! Oh yeh Brandon i iAlways use 12 lb segaur fluoro nymphing for the winter steel, it's the same diameter of 8 lb maxima... It lets u land fish on smaller water faster and I feel like I'm being kinder to the natives

S
Sirdriftsalot.
FlyBum said:
thats classic, so how are you gonna target those steelies today? well Im gonna "drag the dog behind the car" into the holding water and if that doesn't work im definetly gonna "punch a kitten" on that lower run and if that doesn't work Im gonna try the " drunk ass who can't stop staring at his sister in laws chest" on that upper run.

Reactions: Drew9870
brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:

lol punching the kitten

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
Punching the kitten... Your killing me! Funny! Oh yeh Brandon i iAlways use 12 lb segaur fluoro nymphing for the winter steel, it's the same diameter of 8 lb maxima... It lets u land fish on smaller water faster and I feel like I'm being kinder to the natives

thanks for the heads up brad, i wanted to use 8lb but i dont want to wear any natives out or snap a ton of fish off

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
Great... Another self loathing nympher.. Get some counseling, we love you and want to see you get better-

you should have seen me when bigsteel first taught me how to properly nymph for trout.. i would not drop my double nymph rig even for rising trout... took me months to drop my nymphs and go to dry fly... LOL

F
FlyBum
Sirdriftsalot. said:
Im gonna try the " drunk ass who can't stop staring at his sister's chest" on that upper run.

That's just typical Rogue Valley stuff right there ;) You didn't need to throw in the, "in law" thing, see it just over complicates things. So does that "weak sauce", "ultra douchebag-istic" Bug and Bubble thing the Bait Chuckers do when they are only supposed to throw flies, when "Bubba and Francine" aren't Flossin for fish. You got Billy Bob over there "Punching the Clown" (jerkin-off, different than punching a kitten) while Francine and Bubba are bouncing roe off the bottom on their "flies"

You keep talking about a bubble, Is that your Idea of fly fishing? (see above)

Reactions: Drew9870
S
Sirdriftsalot.
FlyBum said:
That's just typical Rogue Valley stuff right there ;) You didn't need to throw in the, "in law" thing, see it just over complicates things. So does that "weak sauce", "ultra douchebag-istic" Bug and Bubble thing the Bait Chuckers do when they are only supposed to throw flies, when "Bubba and Francine" aren't Flossin for fish. You got Billy Bob over there "Punching the Clown" (jerkin-off, different than punching a kitten) while Francine and Bubba are bouncing roe off the bottom on their "flies"

You keep talking about a bubble, Is that your Idea of fly fishing? (see above)

I always laugh about those gear and fly guys, come on dont flatter yourself, you are not flyfishing. Yeah just moved to southern oregon from the tahoe area about 2 years ago mainly to go back to school, Im kinda getting used to the area, I always hear people refer to it as a backwoods kind of area, bubba and francine jerkinoff arent in any of my classes so I dont know them but I think I have seen them on the river:D Ashland is a classy town. off to dominate my prob and stats final. have a good one fly bum.:D

E
eggs
halibuthitman said:

same here broski!

F
FlyBum
Sirdriftsalot. said:
I always laugh about those gear and fly guys, come on dont flatter yourself, you are not flyfishing. Yeah just moved to southern oregon from the tahoe area about 2 years ago mainly to go back to school, Im kinda getting used to the area, I always hear people refer to it as a backwoods kind of area, bubba and francine jerkinoff arent in any of my classes so I dont know them but I think I have seen them on the river:D Ashland is a classy town. off to dominate my prob and stats final. have a good one fly bum.:D

Ashland is a cool town, fo show. I'm referring to parts of Medford, White City and Shady Cove areas. Tweek, Tweek!

D
Drew9870
:lol::lol::lol:

How did I miss this thread? lol.

Brandon, I've had success using 15lb P-Line Flouroclear as leader while drifting for Winters (not on fly), along with two of my buddies, but then again, we have a fast tailout nearby that leads to private property that we gotta worry about the fish running to. I'll probably have to try that Seaguar stuff finally, it is spendy.

F
flyguy202011
yah I rock the 15 pound tippet and 25 pound leader. take no chances!

brandon4455
brandon4455
flyguy202011 said:
yah I rock the 15 pound tippet and 25 pound leader. take no chances!

your crazy bro... thatsss way thick for me. i use 10lb for salmon!! if i can handle a big nook (until he popped the damn hook out!) for 20 minutes then i can sure as hell handle a steelhead on 8lb test :D