Nymphing for winter steelhead

O
OnTheFly
john montana said:
And no OTF...I am not converting! Still a carp guy, just don't want to sit out the entire winter season. If you have patience and want to teach a newbie the ways of winter steel, look me up!
Lol. I'd love to fish with you John but don't look at me as someone with authority on winter steelhead because I'm not. With all those Alaskan fish you caught last summer I'll be hoping you'll have patience with Me!

Last edited:
S
Sirdriftsalot.
OnTheFly said:
I thought this issue was settled......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0

Oh man that was hillarious, great comedic view on an old debate. I havent had much luck swinging, I understand how sometimes steelies are more suicidal over something swung, but there are many variables that affect that, water tempature, geneotypical traits of targeted fish, and prior freshwater history of said fish(maybe if it was a half pounder at one time, that is a reason nymphing is dynamite on the rogue) The water is so cold on the Rogue and applegate, steelies dont rise out of the water table to grab something, the water affects their metabolic rate so much that it seems they would rather sit there and open their mouth. I have seen guys in grants pass swinging flies with some success, but the guys on the upper rogue with there big spey rods targeting a summer fish that averages 24 inches and winter fish that average a little more than that, makes me laugh, it seems like when they double hand it all the way to the other side of the river when the fish are in the slot a rods lenght away from him, it just seems like its a dick measuring contest to see who can cast across the river. Just different strokes for different folks. My fishing buddy this year started the season with a sink tip, and stroke out when i would connect, he switched it up this fall and is finally connecting. I love to point out how he didn't hook anything until he slipped that indicator on. You should see the guys in sacramento on the american constantly swinging flies into spawning beds and fight spawned out steelies, I actually saw a buck spunk juice on one guy right as he posed for a pic with it.
Kind regards
The Nyphomaniac

Reactions: FlyBum
S
Sirdriftsalot.
brandon4455 said:
:lol: i guess im reffered to as nymph snagging faggot by people who swing? :lol:

I bet us drifters are reffered to as a lot more than that by the swing crowd, especially after they hear us hoop and holla picking up fish they missed. I bet the only thing swingers and drifters have in common is a large difference in age group, swingers that continously trounce drifters just seem like old moldy cogers that disagree with everything

Reactions: brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
Sirdriftsalot. said:
I bet us drifters are reffered to as a lot more than that by the swing crowd, especially after they hear us hoop and holla picking up fish they missed. I bet the only thing swingers and drifters have in common is a large difference in age group, swingers that continously trounce drifters just seem like old moldy cogers that disagree with everything
hahahahaha... your cracking me up.. i will always rather nymph for steel though.ive swung a fly or two but only hooked steelhead nymphing.(still haven't landed one)

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
:lol: i guess im reffered to as nymph snagging faggot by people who swing? :lol:
Two vultures were sitting on a tree branch waiting forever for something to die when finally one says to the other "I'm go'in to kill something". I've got no problem doing what it takes to get results when it comes to steelhead fishing. Just funn'in with ya.

O
OnTheFly
Sirdriftsalot. said:
Oh man that was hillarious, great comedic view on an old debate. I havent had much luck swinging, I understand how sometimes steelies are more suicidal over something swung, but there are many variables that affect that, water tempature, geneotypical traits of targeted fish, and prior freshwater history of said fish(maybe if it was a half pounder at one time, that is a reason nymphing is dynamite on the rogue) The water is so cold on the Rogue and applegate, steelies dont rise out of the water table to grab something, the water affects their metabolic rate so much that it seems they would rather sit there and open their mouth. I have seen guys in grants pass swinging flies with some success, but the guys on the upper rogue with there big spey rods targeting a summer fish that averages 24 inches and winter fish that average a little more than that, makes me laugh, it seems like when they double hand it all the way to the other side of the river when the fish are in the slot a rods lenght away from him, it just seems like its a dick measuring contest to see who can cast across the river. Just different strokes for different folks. My fishing buddy this year started the season with a sink tip, and stroke out when i would connect, he switched it up this fall and is finally connecting. I love to point out how he didn't hook anything until he slipped that indicator on. You should see the guys in sacramento on the american constantly swinging flies into spawning beds and fight spawned out steelies, I actually saw a buck spunk juice on one guy right as he posed for a pic with it.
Kind regards
The Nyphomaniac
LMFAO! Your post was funnier than the cartoon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
LMFAO! Your post was funnier than the cartoon.

thats what im saying..trying to to wake everyone in my house up cause im laughing so hard LOL

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Two vultures were sitting on a tree branch waiting forever for something to die when finally one says to the other "I'm go'in to kill something". I've got no problem doing what it takes to get results when it comes to steelhead fishing. Just funn'in with ya.

;) i know what you mean jim. im more of a person for nymphing but if i see a nice tailout while on the river you bet your ass i will tie a moal leech on and swing it through there.

S
Sirdriftsalot.
yeah brandon they are hard to land sometimes, I only bat about 50 % on summers and a little bit better on winters. That instant of when the fish indicates the fly and the hook set is required is very important, you want to bury that hook into that steel gum with a good Directional Hook Set. Hooks are very important as well, tying your own flies you can really dive into the hook world, 3x strong, 4 x strong, The Dai riki scuds are lethal, hooks with a wide gape are important, stonefly nymphs tied on jig hooks are insane, and the super fine point hook, I have only seen them a couple of times but they are sharpened on both sides of the hook. Proper tippet is always good, I am a full time student so I run out of the above list all the time. I think longer rods help land fish as well, Like nymphing with a 11" 7 wt switch rod is legit, good hook sets and deadly drifts with switch rods.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Sirdriftsalot. said:
yeah brandon they are hard to land sometimes, I only bat about 50 % on summers and a little bit better on winters. That instant of when the fish indicates the fly and the hook set is required is very important, you want to bury that hook into that steel gum with a good Directional Hook Set. Hooks are very important as well, tying your own flies you can really dive into the hook world, 3x strong, 4 x strong, The Dai riki scuds are lethal, hooks with a wide gape are important, stonefly nymphs tied on jig hooks are insane, and the super fine point hook, I have only seen them a couple of times but they are sharpened on both sides of the hook. Proper tippet is always good, I am a full time student so I run out of the above list all the time. I think longer rods help land fish as well, Like nymphing with a 11" 7 wt switch rod is legit, good hook sets and deadly drifts with switch rods.

ive been wanting a switch rod for better line control and all that, might grab an 8wt switch to use for coho and steel, i just use a 9ft 8wt single hander right now for those two fishand it works pretty good even alnded a chinook on it and hooked a few other chromers that popped off, the extra length would be nice though. an 8wt rio indicator line and an 8wt switch rod...man that thign would shoot line and the mending would be effortless

S
Sirdriftsalot.
OnTheFly said:

My uncle and dad would always give me **** about releasing hatcho's, catch and release trout bum turned steelhead manic I am, I didn't realize thats what hatchos where there for so I got a nice chrome bright hen in august, decided to keep it and gave it to my parentals, well needless to say that kept fish cursed me, I lost 8 straight hook ups after that, curse of the keeper. took like two months to get my mojo back. I dont plan on keeping anymore.
cheers.

S
Sirdriftsalot.
brandon4455 said:
ive been wanting a switch rod for better line control and all that, might grab an 8wt switch to use for coho and steel, i just use a 9ft 8wt single hander right now for those two fishand it works pretty good even alnded a chinook on it and hooked a few other chromers that popped off, the extra length would be nice though. an 8wt rio indicator line and an 8wt switch rod...man that thign would shoot line and the mending would be effortless

yeah buddy, you can actually step up the line on the switch, so say you got the 8 go with the 9 wt line, all the extra ummphh with the tall switch and heavier line will really turnover an indicator and all the heavy flys you can tie below that indicator. you should go nymph the applegate some time, so much fun especially with the above mentioned set-up.

F
FlyBum
The A-gate, shhhhhhhhush, just watch out for the "Locals"

S
Sirdriftsalot.
I am studying for finals right now but this steelhead forum is a much needed break, thanks, I LOVE THE A !!!!!!!!!!!!!! caught my first winter on it a couple years back, I live like 20 minutes from it, The indegenious tribes people of the applegate valley can get very interesting, especially with all that good dope they grow out there;) They love charteuse green on that river, a lot of bait guys bounce big chunks of guts on the A but I just clean up right behind them with a size 10, 20 incher.

S
Sirdriftsalot.
that video is pretty funny, is it yours ? i posted it on my facebook fish group thingy, ha ha SLammin the steel that is the sweet stuff.

H
halibuthitman
I catch as many winters swinging as I do nymphing the water determines the gear. Anyone can catch a summer... On anything.

F
FlyBum
Fish aren't all that smart! It is US, who over complicate even some of the simplest things :)

S
Sirdriftsalot.
halibuthitman said:
I catch as many winters swinging as I do nymphing the water determines the gear. Anyone can catch a summer... On anything.

congratulations, and the water I fish determines I nymph like a stealthy assassin, I can also catch herpes just like anyone else but at least I can somewhat choose how I can catch it:cool:

S
Sirdriftsalot.
FlyBum said:
Fish aren't all that smart! It is US, who over complicate even some of the simplest things :)

how insightful flybum, you sound like a salmonid philosopher, one must float like a leaf on river of life or something or other.:lol: