Novice angler looking for Steelhead in the Clac

K
koboabe
Hello all,
I am fairly new to fishing and I am in need of a new Rod/Reel for some Steelhead fishing from the bank.

I was told to get around a 10’ rod, but I don’t know which reel I should get.
I am attempting to fish with Floats/jigs on a spinning reel.
I don’t need anything top of the line, but I was wondering if any of you had any Mid-range rod or reel suggestions.

M
metalmania
If your gonna be float fishing, a longer rod like 9 to 10 works great. I'd go with a berkely air im8 8-12 lb. There fairly cheap for a good rod. I just picked up another today for 70 at bi-mart. For spinning reels I like shimano, as there not to spendy and work good. They have multiple models and sizes for your budget. I have a spirex 4000 on my rod and I love it. You can usually find those for around 50 bucks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: koboabe
K
koboabe
I almost bought that rod the other day, but I wanted to do a bit more research.
I currently have a 6'6" rod that is not cutting it, I should just grab the Berkely rod

Does Shimano still make the Symetre series reel?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah the 6'6" stick is a bit short, but it would work. I harass the little Summers on light Bass gear all the time! The Symmetre is still around, and Fishermans is having a sale right now, so that might be the place to check. Joes also has some very good deals, on remaining inventory. I bought a new reel for my float rod, and sidedrift stick as well, both for less than 75 bucks!

J
Jig'n
The Berkley IM7 9'6" (or longer), 6-10 with a Shimano Symmetre is the way to go!

Jig'n

S
SNDSLGR
Another Berkley lover here, I have 3 of them. Definitely the best bang for the buck pole out there imo.

I have always had good luck with Shimmano so you can't go wrong there. I bought a cheap Okuma as a back up last winter and it stayed on the pole, I like it and so far its holding up excellent.

M
metalmania
Jig'n said:
The Berkley IM7 9'6" (or longer), 6-10 with a Shimano Symmetre is the way to go!

Jig'n

That's what i'm rockin for a float rod and I love it:D.

B
BobberDown
sounds like you guys gave out al the right info i personaly like a 10' or 10'6" for float fishing but I like to run a 9'6" as well it is a little more versitle better on smaller streams and boats the 10 or 10'6" can be a little long for those aplicachoins but for fishingsome of the clack from the bank where you are makeing long cast it ca help with the line mend but a 9'6" will work grate. thatis also my favrite drift rod . i am fishing the symetre 2500 i love it. it is so smoth what a reel. but if you want a nother reel that is a lttile less about 45 bucks at sportmans is the diawa regal 2500 ihave 3 of them and have had them for about 5 yearswith know problems they have handle coho chinook steelhead very well and a grate reel for 45 bucks not as smoth as the symetre good luck with your serech
Thanks Dan

P
PDXKush
I run the Berkeley Air M7 8' footer one piece with an Okuma av200 baitcasting low profile reel and I love it. I have no problem sending an ounce across the Clack but we'll see If I still like it once I land a lunker :). I see a lot of 8' - 10' foot poles on the clack for the most part. My backup pole is a 7' lamiglas competitor with a spinning reel that I primarily use for Trout but was told by many that it can take down a nice size steelhead or a decent springer. Most people would say my poles are on the small side but they work for me. It's all about personal preference...unless of course your catching Dinosaurs (Sturgeon) Or Plunkin spin n glos on the Bank with 8oz's of lead.

K
koboabe
great advice

great advice

Hello all,
I found a Spirex 4000 RE for $30 at Joe's and ended up grabing the 9'6" Berkely IM8 fro Fisherman's

can't wait to try it out this weekend.

thanks for all the info.

M
metalmania
koboabe said:
Hello all,
I found a Spirex 4000 RE for $30 at Joe's and ended up grabing the 9'6" Berkely IM8 fro Fisherman's

can't wait to try it out this weekend.

thanks for all the info.

For float fishing it's hard to beat that setup:D.

Y
youngbuck307
I also have the IM8 :clap: and LOVE it :dance: hope you like yours just as much as i like mine!!! I got mine when the first came out kinda sucks i payed 100 bucks should of waited a few months lol:D

K
koboabe
youngbuck307 said:
I also have the IM8 :clap: and LOVE it :dance: hope you like yours just as much as i like mine!!! I got mine when the first came out kinda sucks i payed 100 bucks should of waited a few months lol:D

Its great so far, now I just need to catch a fish on it...

Y
youngbuck307
u know thats the one problem i have had with that poll...I havent put a fish on it yet,not really the polls falt but hey it sounds good

K
koboabe
haha, gotta blame something.

R
ranch hand
yeah, blame the rod. don't blame yourself for not cleaning your hands, or fingernails, and all of your tackle too! even if you fish what looks like empty water. there was at least one fish that saw it. the smell it is the first reaction besides sight fish have, to a bunch of hooks, and line drifting by. safeways lemon hand soap is the same as joy. carry a bottle, and wash everything often. even leaders, swivels, corky's, and hooks.

K
koboabe
ranch hand said:
yeah, blame the rod. don't blame yourself for not cleaning your hands, or fingernails, and all of your tackle too! even if you fish what looks like empty water. there was at least one fish that saw it. the smell it is the first reaction besides sight fish have, to a bunch of hooks, and line drifting by. safeways lemon hand soap is the same as joy. carry a bottle, and wash everything often. even leaders, swivels, corky's, and hooks.

do you guys dilute the soap when washing Jigs, hooks etc.?

M
metalmania
Go to B.C angling and get a noor's soap bar. It's better than lemon joy or any of the other soaps. I use it on all of my gear and it works quite well.

K
koboabe
Word, thanks Metal...

Y
youngbuck307
metalmania said:
Go to B.C angling and get a noor's soap bar. It's better than lemon joy or any of the other soaps. I use it on all of my gear and it works quite well.

Yea i love that stuff do they have the one that smells like shrimp yet...my girl is going to hate me lol