Noob: Hagg question

P
Pasternak
Hi! I’m in Portland. Have limited fishing experience. And zero experience in Oregon. I have a 6’6 medium Ugly GX2 and an empty Pfluger President 30 spinner. And I’m thinking Hagg might be a good place to get my feet wet. Not too terribly fussy about what kind of fish I catch for the moment. Most interested in learning how to use the gear. Hoping somebody here can suggest appropriate line/lead/lure/bait for my rig for this lake and maybe give me some idea what I should expect to catch here - other than a cold - early fall through winter. Thanks in advance for the much needed advice. :)

portlandrain
portlandrain
The simplest thing I can think of is a carolina rig setup and some powerbait for the stoked trout. They should come closer to shore as the water temps are cool any time from now into late spring.

This rig is basically a main line, probably 6 lb mono (standard fishing line you can buy anywhere), on the line is an egg weight, maybe 1/4 oz, then a swivel. The swivel simply stops the weight. On the other end of the swivel, tie another piece of line, maybe 18", then a small hook. Powerbait is a dough bait that floats. Put a big enough ball on your hook so the hook floats. When you cast it out, the weight will sit in the bottom but the bait will suspend up at the length of your leader. Just let it soak until you get a bite. Expect to keep any you catch because swallowing the hook is likely.

I've had good success near the dam in the winter. Good luck!

Reactions: bass and Pasternak
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
I agree with @portlandrain.

It is a simple technique and very effective for stocked trout. Get garlic flavored scents, i found they work the best. Get a rod holder and wait, i found that if i hold the rod i am too impatient and don't leave it out long enough.

Reactions: Pasternak
P
Pasternak
Thank you for the help getting started @portlandrain and @305to503fishermen. I’m going to buy a handful of prefab Carolina rigs that agree with your general specifications somewhere. And I’ll use these and instructional YouTube video to figure out how to make my own. I’ll use the Powerbait and the recommended rod holder. And maybe a fish will take pity on my pathetic first attempt and jump into my open arms. Thanks again to you both.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Pasternak said:
Thank you for the help getting started @portlandrain and @305to503fishermen. I’m going to buy a handful of prefab Carolina rigs that agree with your general specifications somewhere. And I’ll use these and instructional YouTube video to figure out how to make my own. I’ll use the Powerbait and the recommended rod holder. And maybe a fish will take pity on my pathetic first attempt and jump into my open arms. Thanks again to you both.
You can save yourself a few bucks by just grabbing a stick with a Y on one end for your rod holder and poking the strait end it into the ground.
Here's a good resource for beginners on how to catch trout from the ODFW site.
The technique I mentioned is explained with a picture a bit down the page. They explain with split shot weight. I personally prefer the egg weight so the fish doesn't feel the weight right away.
https://myodfw.com/articles/how-fish-trout

Reactions: bass
305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
Don't buy a prefab, all you need is leader line swivels, hooks and egg weights. Very simple rig to tie and good practice if you are going to take fishing seriously.

Also a good bank spot are by the dam, i am pretty sure they put the fish in at boat ramp A and lots of people fish by boat ramp C.

Reactions: bass
P
Pasternak
portlandrain said:
You can save yourself a few bucks by just grabbing a stick with a Y on one end for your rod holder and poking the strait end it into the ground.
Here's a good resource for beginners on how to catch trout from the ODFW site.
The technique I mentioned is explained with a picture a bit down the page. They explain with split shot weight. I personally prefer the egg weight so the fish doesn't feel the weight right away.
https://myodfw.com/articles/how-fish-trout
Hey, thanks for the ‘How to”! It’s tempting to buy everything- including a rod holder. I need to remember I gotta haul all this crap around.

Reactions: portlandrain
P
Pasternak
305to503fishermen said:
Don't buy a prefab, all you need is leader line swivels, hooks and egg weights. Very simple rig to tie and good practice if you are going to take fishing seriously.

Also a good bank spot are by the dam, i am pretty sure they put the fish in at boat ramp A and lots of people fish by boat ramp

You’re right. A lot cheaper to make my own. And it doesn’t look too terribly complicated. I’ve been reading up on it some. And I think I’ve got the general idea. I’m putting clear 6lb mono on my reel. And I expect to use the same stuff to build my rigs. The consequences for imperfection are a few hours of relaxation lakeside. I’ll wing it from here. Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: portlandrain