Nice lookin steelhead

R
rippin fish lips
HAha just kidding! :D I thought that may be a little catchy. So... tomorrow i am thinking about heading out to go after some winter steel. Never been, and i know there is a road on the backside of the Siuslaw river that will give Moderate bank access. I just forgot the name of the road??? Can anyone help me please? Also, how is the bite, and how do you think the water will look by tomorrow?? Any help is appreciated, i am going to catch and realease all fish i catch.

B
Big3d
I dunno, but i just had to say... Well Played!!!

C
ConcernedCitizen
rippin fish lips said:
HAha just kidding! :D I thought that may be a little catchy. So... tomorrow i am thinking about heading out to go after some winter steel. Never been, and i know there is a road on the backside of the Siuslaw river that will give Moderate bank access. I just forgot the name of the road??? Can anyone help me please? Also, how is the bite, and how do you think the water will look by tomorrow?? Any help is appreciated, i am going to catch and realease all fish i catch.

It depends on which direction you're trying to go. One road that runs along the Siuslaw is Stagecoach Road, which goes from Richardson Road to Hwy 36 in Swisshome. This road was washed out a month or two ago, and I'm not sure of the current status.

If you're looking for the road that runs along the backside between Tide and Mapleton, you're looking for East Mapleton Road. Cross the bridge in Mapleton, and then hang a left past the school.

If you're looking for the road that runs along the backside between Mapleton and Florence, you'll want Sweet Creek Road, which is the first right after you cross the bridge in Mapleton.

There's some decent bank access along Hwy 36 between Brickerville and Swisshome, and there's also access to the forks where the Siuslaw and Lake Creek meet, right at the entrance to Stagecoach Road. I believe the trail goes under the railroad trestle, but I've never been down there myself.

Hope this helps!

R
rippin fish lips
ConcernedCitizen said:
It depends on which direction you're trying to go. One road that runs along the Siuslaw is Stagecoach Road, which goes from Richardson Road to Hwy 36 in Swisshome. This road was washed out a month or two ago, and I'm not sure of the current status.

Hope this helps!

Stagecoach road is the road i am looking for! That info helps, thank u for sharing that info. A buddy of mine to told me that is the best road to hit. looks like im just goingto exploree. I was also thinking about whitacker

R
radiation
Stagecoach road

Stagecoach road

Stagecoach is still closed about 10 miles from Swisshome. I was just there on Saturday and they have a sign up saying the road is closed. Good luck and be careful!

Reactions: eugene1
R
rippin fish lips
radiation said:
Stagecoach is still closed about 10 miles from Swisshome. I was just there on Saturday and they have a sign up saying the road is closed. Good luck and be careful!

Yepp!!! Figured that one out hahaha. there is some nice water on stagecoach road, but it's lonely if your the only one bank fishin it!! Some of the scenes there look kinda sketch... I saw a guy who was plunking with a lawn chair and a fire, i showed up, looked at his hole and glanced at him, he said if i go somewhere up there (above him) he wouldnt be bothored, then he asked me if i was fishign alone... i said yes and he gave me a thumbs up. Idk what to think about that one. Next time i think ill bring a buddy down to.

L
luddite
I've banked it along there for 3 years without an issue. Then again I am 6-1 and carry a machete. Most of the people I see along there I would classify as Oregon rednecks, good people who prefer their peace and quiet.

R
rippin fish lips
luddite said:
I've banked it along there for 3 years without an issue. Then again I am 6-1 and carry a machete. Most of the people I see along there I would classify as Oregon rednecks, good people who prefer their peace and quiet.

What is your preferred "style" of fishing on that stretch? I was drift fishing beads/corkies/worms together, tossed some spinners and spoons and even float/jig fished it and manages 3 trout. I would like to catch one outa there this year. Do you have any tips that you could share? say... maybe in a message or something?

B
Boombollie
rippin fish lips said:
tossed some spinners and spoons

Any luck with the hardware?

R
rippin fish lips
Boombollie said:
Any luck with the hardware?

Nada, although other people were tossing spinners and spoons to. I did not see anyone hookup with hardware. The float/jig fisherman had the better day that day, Some of them that it. I watched 2 guys in a drift boat that were float fishing there hold, plus taking 2 other hols below them that had 2 other people fishing them first. I would have been pissed if i was there guys, lucky i was fishing some seams and riffles behind them. I had more luck drift fishing

T
Thuggin4Life
rippin fish lips said:

just seen this thread. not on this monkey show much anymore. give me a call tonight if you want some detailed info. alos i have an extra plunking rod if you want to drive your rig and get the gas i will supply all the gear this weekend for a trip on the umpqua if you want. i just did my last trip of the year before springers but i could go again theres still tons of fishing coming through. give me a call or pm me if you dont have my number anymore.

L
luddite
It really depends on where I am on the river. I carry a 9' spinning rod strung with 12lb Nanofil for bobbers and jigs or spinners, I also carry a 8 1/2' drift rod and either run standard drift gear or float fish...since there is not a lot of bank in that area I throw everything I have at it. I do my best to match the gear to the water being fished since bank access is limited.

On a side note I am putting the finishing touches on my drift boat and am planning on a first drift this weekend. I am going to just float a section of the Willamette through town to get a feeling for the boat. Speaking of which it is time to get off the forum and get busy on the boat...