Newbie lookin for some guidance

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Hello all, Im new to Oregon and also to Fishing really. Ive been a few times but was never really taught anything about it other than hook a worm add a little weight and cast it out into the water and wait. The only fish I remember catching was a Carp that washed over the dam into the rocks below during the summer when the water was low and I picked it up to toss it back into the water.

Im from the Midwest and have had Salmon many times but never had Steelhead til I moved here and I love both and many other fish Ive had in my 36 years. My goal is to catch something I can bring home and grill for a meal or 2. The more I read the more confused I get with all the different options and regulations from one species to another, native/stocked, and not meaning just the 2 already mentioned but all other fish in the area also.
I would love to do a guided trip but I have lower back problems and dont know if I could handle sitting in a boat for 6 to 8 hrs and Im not sure Im willing to spend that much money to find out.

I currently have a 6 or 6.5 ft Shakesphere Durango with a Zebco 33 that I got because i could afford it the day I was going to a friends house, to drink beer, who happened to live on the river and I thought, Why not? Well, at least I caught a buzz.

What Im lookin for is suggestions on a decent, on the lower side of price range, set up that would work for someone like myself who just wants to enjoy a day on the bank and maybe catch dinner. Pole length, line, tackle, anything you could think of that might help a little. Reference links would be great too as all I can find when I search are guided trips. I can cast and reel my line back in but thats about the extent of my knowledge so anything helps.

I live in Eagle Point, am OMMP compliant and drink/ brew beer so if theres anyone similar that would like to meet up and sit on the bank and offer some live guidance and shoot the breeze I would be into that also.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Seriously? Over 50 views and not one reply? I thought Forums were the place for people to go to ask questions and learn something?

Sorry if I offended anyone with the last part of my post but Im just tryin to learn something and maybe make a friend or 2 in the process and just thought that might help.

E
eugene1
Don't be so hasty, Greenhorn. Relax, have a homebrew!

I'm not in your area, but I do homebrew.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. Im just surprised that out of 50+ views nobody had any advice to offer.

T
Toyracer38
The rod you have (I think) would work for summer steelhead, the spincast reel not so much. Find a spinning reel and have it loaded with like 20# Power Pro braid. Tie a barrel swivel on, then tie on about a foot and a half of lighter leader. Say 12# Maxima Ultragreen. Finish this off, with a spinner or a spoon. The trick is getting it down to the fish which hold close to the bottom, so you have to let the lure sink. This will get you fishing. Otherwise I would say, just go on down to the river and see what people are using. Ask them questions. See what method of fishing interests you and gear up accordingly. Good luck!

T
Toyracer38
Scratch the adding a spinning reel idea. It Would have to be a baitcasting reel. Not sure if you ever used one. Think a spinning reel/rod setup might work best for you, if you haven't done a lot of fishing.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Toyracer38 said:
The rod you have (I think) would work for summer steelhead, the spincast reel not so much. Find a spinning reel and have it loaded with like 20# Power Pro braid. Tie a barrel swivel on, then tie on about a foot and a half of lighter leader. Say 12# Maxima Ultragreen. Finish this off, with a spinner or a spoon. The trick is getting it down to the fish which hold close to the bottom, so you have to let the lure sink. This will get you fishing. Otherwise I would say, just go on down to the river and see what people are using. Ask them questions. See what method of fishing interests you and gear up accordingly. Good luck!

Toyracer38 said:
Scratch the adding a spinning reel idea. It Would have to be a baitcasting reel. Not sure if you ever used one. Think a spinning reel/rod setup might work best for you, if you haven't done a lot of fishing.

Thank You. Thats what I was lookin for.
I used to have a spinning reel years ago and didn't care for it, probably due to incorrect use im guessing. I watched a couple videos on Baitcasting reels and it seems easy enough to figure out since Im not set in any certain way already so I think Ill get one of those.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Rogue Greenhorn said:
Seriously? Over 50 views and not one reply? I thought Forums were the place for people to go to ask questions and learn something?

Sorry if I offended anyone with the last part of my post but Im just tryin to learn something and maybe make a friend or 2 in the process and just thought that might help.
Hey, welcome to the forum! I am fairly terrible at giving advice, but I know where to find hundreds of posts with the very info you're looking for. Please, check out the forum's archives while you wait for more responses. You will find ALL the info you need. Also, I don't think anyone here is offended with you for living in Eagle Point. ;) We do have several OMMP patients and our share of brewers/drinkers. Remember, not everyone who reads the threads is comfortable or, maybe knowledgeable enough to give advice.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Raincatcher said:
Hey, welcome to the forum! I am fairly terrible at giving advice, but I know where to find hundreds of posts with the very info you're looking for. Please, check out the forum's archives while you wait for more responses. You will find ALL the info you need. Also, I don't think anyone here is offended with you for living in Eagle Point. ;) We do have several OMMP patients and our share of brewers/drinkers. Remember, not everyone who reads the threads is comfortable or, maybe knowledgeable enough to give advice.

Again I apologize. I am finding some useful info in some older threads but I find it easier to ask than to search through page after page of back logs. I guess I just expected there to be more people eager to offer some sort of opinion or suggestion. I personally enjoy passing on knowledge of things I know about to those who dont, especially when its something I enjoy and they are interested in learning.

Im thinking about purchasing an Abu Garcia Black Max Combo with 7ft ft rod, 10 to 20# line rating and MH rod power. Spool Capacity is 130 yds at 30#.
Im trying not to spend too much money at this point so at 70 bucks I think thats a decent start.

M
mikeee2362
Welcome to the forum RG, there are plenty of cheaper combo setups available that will work for you. But a nice spinning reel and 8'+ rod in the range you spoke of will cover you for most kinds of fishing at a beginner level. Do as Toyracer said and try the spinner fishing for summer steelhead. It might take awhile to catch one but when you do you will find it much easier to part with your money for gear!! I think I have about 12 complete rigs, specifically setup for a certain kinds of fishing, and probably half a dozen mix and matches....and I need more more more!!!

R
Rogue Greenhorn
mikeee2362 said:
Welcome to the forum RG, there are plenty of cheaper combo setups available that will work for you. But a nice spinning reel and 8'+ rod in the range you spoke of will cover you for most kinds of fishing at a beginner level. Do as Toyracer said and try the spinner fishing for summer steelhead. It might take awhile to catch one but when you do you will find it much easier to part with your money for gear!! I think I have about 12 complete rigs, specifically setup for a certain kinds of fishing, and probably half a dozen mix and matches....and I need more more more!!!

Thanks, Mikeee. Im not done searchin and readin yet so Ill find somethin thats affordable and decent enough to get me started. Right now my goal is to get on the bank for 200 or less, counting rod, reel, tackle, license and tags. Then later I will be able to spend more on new gear.

B
Boombollie
As far as a decent all-around rod, one of those Berkley Air Buzz Ramsey dealios are pretty alright for the price. Maybe 70-ish bucks at BiMart. Just get an 8'6 medium action spinning rod and a not-too cheap reel.

E
eat, sleep, fish
For a cheap set up that will work perfectly grab a Berkley Air IM8 that's 8'6" and rated for 10-20 pound line. Pair that with a Shimano Corvallus 400 reel and you've got yourself a great setup for under $175.

From the bank I suggest throwing eggs or egg/shrimp combo under a bobber, or tossing size 4 & 5 blue fox spinners. Don't let yourself be lured in by all the people out snagging. You'll see them hook plenty of salmon, but they're also coming in sideways and backwards. It's a huge epidemic on the Upper Rogue.

The Rogue can be a difficult river to learn, especially for someone new to salmon/steelhead fishing. I highly recommend taking a trip or two with a guide. You'll learn more in 1 day of fishing than in a year or two by yourself. If you don't think you can sit in a boat all day I personally run half day trips that are 4-5 hours.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Good stuff, eat!

I know eat will also let his passengers get out on the bank to stretch their legs whenever they want!

Best,

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Boombollie said:
As far as a decent all-around rod, one of those Berkley Air Buzz Ramsey dealios are pretty alright for the price. Maybe 70-ish bucks at BiMart. Just get an 8'6 medium action spinning rod and a not-too cheap reel.

Thanks for the suggestion Boombollie.

eat said:
For a cheap set up that will work perfectly grab a Berkley Air IM8 that's 8'6" and rated for 10-20 pound line. Pair that with a Shimano Corvallus 400 reel and you've got yourself a great setup for under $175.

From the bank I suggest throwing eggs or egg/shrimp combo under a bobber, or tossing size 4 & 5 blue fox spinners. Don't let yourself be lured in by all the people out snagging. You'll see them hook plenty of salmon, but they're also coming in sideways and backwards. It's a huge epidemic on the Upper Rogue.

The Rogue can be a difficult river to learn, especially for someone new to salmon/steelhead fishing. I highly recommend taking a trip or two with a guide. You'll learn more in 1 day of fishing than in a year or two by yourself. If you don't think you can sit in a boat all day I personally run half day trips that are 4-5 hours.

Thanks man, I really would like to do a guided trip for the reason you mentioned. I could probably handle 4 or 5 hrs, I just know that even driving that long gets me stiffened up and hurtin sometimes. Ill be in contact.

eugene1 said:
Good stuff, eat!

I know eat will also let his passengers get out on the bank to stretch their legs whenever they want!

Best,

Thats great to know and probably what will get me to book a trip in the near future.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
Im booked for Monday morning. can't wait.

E
eugene1
Cool, tell Steven to bring the good eggs!

Good luck,

Rogue Greenhorn said:

E
eat, sleep, fish
Rogue Greenhorn said:

Definitely looking forward to getting you out and teaching you what I know. Hopefully we'll find a fish or two along the way as well.

F
FishFinger
Rogue Greenhorn said:

Outstanding! Good luck and have a blast.

R
Rogue Greenhorn
eugene1 said:
Cool, tell Steven to bring the good eggs!

Good luck,

Thanks and he replied right below ya so hopefully he remembers.

eat said:
Definitely looking forward to getting you out and teaching you what I know. Hopefully we'll find a fish or two along the way as well.

Just the experience and learnin a few tricks will be worth it to me. If I can bring home dinner, that will be a sweet bonus.

FishFinger said:
Outstanding! Good luck and have a blast.

Thanks and Im sure I will