New to Portland area, could use some advice

B
Bobbylamx
Hi, recently moved to Portland and I'm looking to start off with some simple bank/shallow wading fishing for trout and salmon.

Any suggestions for places to fish within about 10-20 miles of Portland? A website suggested Milo McIver State Park. Anyone know if that would be worth the time or are easy access places like that generally fished out?

Also, do folks mostly use spinners for river fishing out here? Thanks for any help.
 
Irishrover
Irishrover
For the Portland area there are a couple of rivers, the Clackamas and the Sandy. Folks use all kinds of tackle. spinners, spoons, jigs, drift fish, and bobbers. Some use a fly rod, lots of methods just check the seasons.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
If you live on the west side...head over to Henry Hagg Lake for trout. There's a fee to enter, but it's gorgeous (and patrolled by Washington County Sherriff's personnel). Not to mention some lunker trout on occasion.
 
DOKF
DOKF
Fly fishing for trout, but gear chucking can also be productive. Then of course there is power bait ...

Salmon and steelhead mostly bait and gear chucking, although fly fishing for steelhead can be good on some rivers.
 
troutdude
troutdude
DOKF said:
Then of course there is power bait ...

FYI many streams are artificial flies and lures only (no bait...Power Bait included). Be sure to KNOW the regulations, before you fish any unfamiliar waters. Then ask questions as needed.
 
troutdude
troutdude
Bobbylamx said:
So I have to buy not only an angler's license and a combined angling tag but also a Columbia River Basin endorsement tag if I want to fish in most rivers around Portland for trout? I think that's what I'm reading correctly on the DWF website.
My interpretation is the Columbia endorsement applies only to angling for Salmon, Steelhead, or Sturgeon. However some of the gear for Summer Run Steelhead is similar to Trout fishing--and vice versa. So I'd highly recommend getting the endorsement to avoid any confusion--should you be checked by a Fish & Game OFFicial.
 
B
Bobbylamx
troutdude said:
My interpretation is the Columbia endorsement applies only to angling for Salmon, Steelhead, or Sturgeon. However some of the gear for Summer Run Steelhead is similar to Trout fishing--and vice versa. So I'd highly recommend getting the endorsement to avoid any confusion--should you be checked by a Fish & Game OFFicial.

Yeah, I just called the local office. I've caught almost every kind of fish imaginable on a red worm at one point or another (for example), so I guess I'll need to buy it all.

Thanks again.
 
D
Davpot
Bobbylamx said:
Yeah, I just called the local office. I've caught almost every kind of fish imaginable on a red worm at one point or another (for example), so I guess I'll need to buy it all.

Thanks again.
Dude: There should be some good local bass, steelhead or fly club in your area. Clubs can be a Great Help! Good Luck and please take Care of this lacešŸ„°
 
H
hookturn
Bobbylamx said:
Hi, recently moved to Portland and I'm looking to start off with some simple bank/shallow wading fishing for trout and salmon.

Any suggestions for places to fish within about 10-20 miles of Portland? A website suggested Milo McIver State Park. Anyone know if that would be worth the time or are easy access places like that generally fished out?

Also, do folks mostly use spinners for river fishing out here? Thanks for any help.
go here
https://myodfw.com/articles/50-places-go-fishing-within-60-minutes-portland
 
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Fly fishing for wild trout, spinners or power bait for stock.
 

Similar threads

I
Replies
31
Views
2K
BeaverFalls
BeaverFalls
S
Replies
13
Views
1K
Diamond Lake Charlie
D
The Guides Forecast
Replies
0
Views
351
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
jenniferwillow
Replies
9
Views
383
Irishrover
Irishrover
R
Replies
6
Views
565
Diamond Lake Charlie
D
Top Bottom