New encounter with Owners.

K
Kodiak
Owners

Owners

Easy drifter you'll date yourself!:D I grew up the same way and will fish Gamma's when I can't get hold of Owners!! They are super sticky and will help you hook more fish. I'm trying to work a deal with owner and if we can get it done then we will be switching all of our hooks over.

A
ArcticAmoeba
GreenDrifter said:
I grew up being taught Gama's were the only hook, about 5 years ago I gave the Owner cutting point hooks a try and havent turned back since. :D

I went 2 for 13, and 2 for 9 two days in a row with Cutting Points, so I ditched out on those, and I now use the Super Needle Points. A much better hook than the Cutting Point for sure. I have not had one shake loose due to the size of the hole. But overall Owner has an incredible product. It is very high quality.

C
Catch 22
Cutting points are for salmon in my book. I used them for bobber/bait or backbouncing etc. That spade tip digs into their hard mouth when the hook is set much better than any needle point.

Needle points will stick a steelie while driftfishing the best. Although the Gammis are my favorite for driftfishing , the Owner needle points are as close as can be.

The Visions were garbage when they hit the market. Tons of quality control issues. Maybe they've gotten better.

Eagle claws are fine I guess if your using them on an uglystick. :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Those 2 fer days were for Springers in WA. 13-19 pound average. They open up the hole too much for my liking, and I put all my Springers from the Clack on Needle Points last year. The CP's do require less effort to penetrate, but I don't like how they are still able to gouge while imbedded.

I really like Visions, and have found very few with any issue. I primarily use them in a size 3 for side drifting Steeelhead. Excellent hook for that type of fishing.

I have not fished an EC for over 10 years. They just don't have that sticky feeling.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm just curious, how many of you regularly check the point on your hook while you're fishing? If it's dull do you use a whetstone or tie on a new hook? Do any of you retie knots with any regularity?

Not to hijack...

C
Catch 22
I will sharpen a jig or a fly. Never a drift rig. Replace leader/hook. Pips box for leaders or plano ziplocks for threaded worms.

K
Kodiak
Sharpen

Sharpen

I sharpen after every time i hangup and get my rig back, or every time I hook up. I check my leader for kinks, nics, and abrasion every 25-30 casts. I will retie my leader almost every time i fight fish because they get into rocks and stuff so much, plus line stress. Some of my friends think I'm a little up tight about it, however nothing burns my rear more than losing a fish or missing a hookup over something that was preventable.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I agree Catch... I carry a file for my egg patterns, bugs, and the few times every year I truly fish jigs, I do it there too. But as far as far as drift rigs go, I re-rig a lot. I keep hooks I get back from a snag, or after a fish, and every once in a while I will go through 250 or so hooks, and give them the once over with a file. Purely to save my cheapo self, some dollar bills. Pips cans work nicely, but when I stuff 35 pre ties in there, the removal gets hairy sometimes. So I have since switched over to pool noodles, cut into short sections.

But as Kodiak said, it is a really good idea to check your leaders often. I first check them after I tie a bait loop at home, and make sure I didn't wrap the last set too tight to bind the line being pulled through, and once again before I rig it, and every 10-12 casts around here, when fishing.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Yeah, I'm with Kodiak. Every time I land a fish I cut and retie everything. On anything I'm fishing I check the point very frequently and if it's anywhere near dull I use a very fine whetstone to touch it up. If I hangup and lose my leader at the swivel I will retie to the mainline etc.

I would rather do this than get one on for a second or two and wonder if my hook wasn't sharp enough and so on down the line..

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, but don't have too little faith in your gear. Two trips ago, I put 4 fish on one leader. Side drifting bait we got into a pod of fish holding in a pocket. The leader never got rubbed, or nicked, but the total overload of pheromones, and body chems from the fish drove the others, holding, absolutely wild. I have the leader hangin up in my tackle room, and the particular corkie, has over a dozen fish whacked just this Winter, so it is tied up on new hooks, and line. If something seems extra fishy, it probably is. Fish it until it isn't fishy anymore!

F
FishSchooler
A headin out next week sunday...

A headin out next week sunday...

Ima probably going out next week or two sunday since I havent been out for a month. It feels like the time... the time where all faces are going to be shocked and amazed at what I have done. I do not know anything about the river right now... temps, levels #s of fish... anything would be gladly accepted. Hot places to fish would work too (no waders). Maybe a raft would be used, but not likely. We do have a nice mid sized raft, its a "6 person" raft but we have trouble fitting 3+ a backpack and tackle box. I have never side drifted before, so probably not gonna do that. I need help... :pray::pray::pray:
If possible, I will talk to my parents and see if I can meet someone who can be my "guide" and help me with my first, like er... you know who, the guy I make fun of because he catches too many fish every time he goes out... :whistle:;)