New drift boat!!!

C
Camo
Nice shop!

One suggestion;
If you're going to use epoxy, get it with the slowest cure time possible. On a warm day, no-matter what you do, the stuff cures too fast and doesn't have time to flow and flatten. Make sure you varnish over it with spar varnish.

Hooked Up
Congrats on the nice looking boat, I'm sure you're going to have a blast with it. Nice shop also.

my2labs
So.... Ive been putting in work. She's got a few issues but nothing that makes me overly concerned.

First thing I learned..... Spend $20 on s heat gun so you don't spend $10000 in sand paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
knucklehead 61
how is the heat gun helping?
are you using a chemical paint stripper?
looks like the wood is pretty well preserved under the paint.

my2labs
New drift boat!!!

The heat gun warms the paint and I follow it with a scraper to remove it. It's very easy once you get the hang of it. The first day I used 15 pieces of 60 grit paper on my orbital sander and I only got 1/3 of the floor of the boat done. Took me over 5 hours due to sealant. The heat gun blasted about 50% of the outside in about 2 hrs. And it was $20 compared to the cost of sand paper.

The wood looks great for the most part besides a few patches. I'm thinking it's going to be fine. I'm going to let the project come to life on its own but I'm thinking I may just stain the wood instead of painting it. My mind may change but, so far... It may be possible.

And I am not using any chemical stripper.

Last edited:
my2labs
Fiberglass all removed.
Paint heat gunned off.

Now on to sanding.....

B
Billamicasr
Oh... the good old days. Being this ambition is but a memory of days gone by. It was so easy back then.
When you posted your first photo I was thinking this has to be a labor of love or it wont happen. Obviously you are making it happen, can't wait to see your finished product.

You have Northwest as your location - where in the NW? Oregon, Washington? Near what city?

In the first photo it doesn't appear there was a rub strip (chine) where the side meets the bottom. Those were typically made of a hard wood and had two functions. One - to protect the boat against hits on rocks Two - it acts as a place for the boat to dig in when moving and turning. I believe any wood DB builder would highly recommend adding those pieces, for both reasons. I Googled DB Chines and almost all hits were about fiberglass DBs, most of which don't have a very pronounced chine. I did find one that may be a great place for you to ask questions and maybe get a photo or two - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?144837-Drift-Boat-Repair

P.s. the rub strip on the sides should come off easily. Might be nice to replace and stain a lighter color that the rest of the DB. The contrast usually makes the boat much nicer - just a thought - Easy for me to say... I'm not doing the work LOL!

my2labs
I am planning on adding a rub strip. I'm going to have to make a few adjustments as well.

The stem is rotted through so I will be replacing that. The transom has some rot so it will more than likely be replaced as well.

Originally I did not plan on fully restoring her but.,,, I have the time and tools so... I've committed.

When she's done, I want her to be pretty. It is going to be a lot of work but I am determined.

I do not expect it to be a boat to be admired by all but hopefully it will be by some. I have zero experience doing this. The Internet is helpful though.

Thanks for following my rebuild. I hope it interests others enough to lead someone else to do the same.

It is very fun.

my2labs
Oh yeah... I'm in Portland

J
JeannaJigs
after doing a fiberglass drift boat restoration, I commend you for diving in head first into a wood boat restoration. I will never restore another vessel for as long as I live, I've had my fill lol.

J
JustMe
There is nothing more beautiful than a properly prepared and finished wood boat. A wood boat has a "soul" and feel to them that glass or metal boats just don't have. I am looking forward to seeing your boat as it progresses. You have a great attitude about it, I am sure it look great when you are finished.

my2labs
A lil progress....wood looks good!

Bottom after fiberglass removal and 1 round of sanding. 1 hole near transom from the anchor banging.

And transom redo is definitely a must!

I'm a bit scared of the extent of the transom rot. I'm banking on the fact that I'll be able to replace it without replacing the sides....... Only time will tell.

rogerdodger
wow, that is a 'boat-load' of work but the payOFF is going to be worth it...

B
BaldTexan
Enjoying watching the progress. Little tip - if you'll hook up a shop vac hose to the sander, the sandpaper with last 10 times longer. Reading your thread has got me hankering again to buy some plans and build one.

my2labs
Calling it today. She looks like she's been preserved well so far.

my2labs
New drift boat!!!

Enjoying watching the progress. Little tip - if you'll hook up a shop vac hose to the sander, the sandpaper with last 10 times longer. Reading your thread has got me hankering again to buy some plans and build one.

I can't stand that stupid hose restricting my movements as I work the sander. I tried. I decided to just uncap the sander and sweep up my mess at the end.

There is one on CL for $400 that is brand new and raw. It needs to be sealed but it is brand new. Wish I had the option but my wife would kill me!!!

Buy it!

my2labs
wow, that is a 'boat-load' of work but the payOFF is going to be worth it...

I sure hope so Roger.

J
JeannaJigs
I sure hope so Roger.

will for sure be worth it, there is no greater feeling of pride than floating the river when you've finished restoration, and you will get a lot of compliments if you do it right, which no doubt you will. I get asked about mine a lot, and love the look on people's faces when I tell them I restored it myself. I get hit with a lot of comments anyways because I'm not a guy, and I row my own boat, but now that it's not this hideous beast, I get a lot of compliments on it. Mine is a glass 1976 Eastside, with white oak rails. You wouldn't know it's a '76 to look at it.

B
BaldTexan
There is one on CL for $400 that is brand new and raw. It needs to be sealed but it is brand new. Wish I had the option but my wife would kill me!!!

Buy it!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I looked but didn't see that ad. I would imagine it sold pretty quick at that price.

my2labs
I just checked. It's gone.