Nehalem fishin

S
SurfKing
Will be in Tillamook next 2 weeks, heard that you can fish the Nehalem for salmon. I have drove past the river a few times but I am not sure if a bank person can drift fish there, unless I am wrong. The river is quite big and probably work beter as plunking technique. Is there location to drift fish?

B
beaverfan
You'd probably have a better shot at a fish on the Wilson. The Nehalem is closed to Chinook angling and there's probably no Coho in there yet. The Wilson still has some summer Steelhead in there.

K
Kodiak
beaverfan said:
You'd probably have a better shot at a fish on the Wilson. The Nehalem is closed to Chinook angling and there's probably no Coho in there yet. The Wilson still has some summer Steelhead in there.

I just sold a dozen blades to a guy that is fishing the Nehalem right now for coho. Says it hasn't gotten hot yet, but they are getting them in the lower bay.....but there is no fish on the coast till mid sept.

B
beaverfan
Well shiver me timbers.

S
Swamp Puppy
I was down there last weekend and fished the river (banking it) just up from Wheeler. It was low water and very clear in most spots. didn't see any Coho, didn't catch any Coho, and didn't hear about anyone doing any better than i did.

If you want to take a break from chasing Coho..there are a few nice little trout spots on the way up towards Nehalem falls.

we also stopped in at the hatchery just for kicks and grins..doesn't look like the are expecting fish to arrive there any time soon.

They are supposed to be getting some fish in the bay/lower portion of the river, but it looks like that is still a boat only show.

good luck and let us (me) know how it went. i liked that area and plan on heading back down once things get going.

S
SurfKing
Thanks, Guys. I will be camping out of Tillamook area at the end of August. I will keep you guys posted how I do.