Need tips for trolling for trout at Hagg

troutdude
troutdude
Right on; glad you had a good time with your son.

B
bigboy70
thinking it musta been a green wedding ring with a brass blade. Also troutdude mentioned 1/4oz when he ment to type 3/4oz

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bigboy70 said:
thinking it musta been a green wedding ring with a brass blade. Also troutdude mentioned 1/4oz when he ment to type 3/4oz

yeah, he might have been differentiating between the regular 'spinner blade' wedding ring and the 'smile blade' wedding ring (double blade?)...

or he meant a 'slingblade' dodger running in front of the wedding ring...

B
bigboy70
Definitely think a spinner blade calling old school and all most of the older ones I have got the brass blade Plus the green ones just kill trout

S
Seahawkfan
bigboy70 said:
PM sent

troutdude
troutdude
bigboy70 said:

Whoops, it was heavier than I thought.

troutdude
troutdude
bigboy70 said:
Definitely think a spinner blade calling old school and all most of the older ones I have got the brass blade Plus the green ones just kill trout

I usually replace the dinky brass hammered blade, with one a smooth size 3 or 4 blade.

B
bigboy70
troutdude said:
I usually replace the dinky brass hammered blade, with one a smooth size 3 or 4 blade.

to his, his own hard to argue with results for me I went and beat the bank sun for a couple hours played on the smaller creeks a bit

S
SailCat
fish face said:
..fish don't have the ability to look down ....

This is actually true and a fact I have shared in a number of tutorials. Their vision is good but a diagram looks like a dome above their heads with nothing below. This is the reason you'll see trout 'tailing' when they are feeding in the shallows; since they don't have the ability to see down, they must tip their bodies to do so. It is also why a long leader when fishing Power Bait is often more effective.

Best,

Michael Teague, co-editor, The Guide's Forecast

AKA SailCat

troutdude
troutdude
bigboy70 said:
to his, his own hard to argue with results for me I went and beat the bank sun for a couple hours played on the smaller creeks a bit

No dissin' intended my friend. Just meant that, I like to switch mine out for extra flash (but sometimes less flash, is the most effective method).

troutdude
troutdude
SailCat said:
fish face said:
..fish don't have the ability to look down ....

This is actually true and a fact I have shared in a number of tutorials. Their vision is good but a diagram looks like a dome above their heads with nothing below. This is the reason you'll see trout 'tailing' when they are feeding in the shallows; since they don't have the ability to see down, they must tip their bodies to do so. It is also why a long leader when fishing Power Bait is often more effective.

Best,

Michael Teague, co-editor, The Guide's Forecast

AKA SailCat

Yep. Totally agree SC. Peeps who think that trout can look down, are simply mistaken. They naturally see up, and above, in a cone shaped pattern. Just as is shown, in this pic.

A-Trouts-Field-of-Vision.PNG

F
fish face
Okay, but how would a trout know deep to swim and don't trout eat off the bottom of a lake? Wouldn't they need to see what they are eating? Just asking not arguing.

S
Seahawkfan
If you want to get really technical, outside the 97 degree window,everything is seen as a mirror image of the bottom so I guess they CAN look down.

S
SailCat
fish face said:
Okay, but how would a trout know deep to swim and don't trout eat off the bottom of a lake? Wouldn't they need to see what they are eating? Just asking not arguing.

Trout tip their bodies to see down, as in the instance mentioned above.

F
fish face
SailCat said:
Trout tip their bodies to see down, as in the instance mentioned above.

According to Colin j. Kageyama who is a optometrist, steelhead fishing fanatic, lure designer, and author of What Fish See, that is simply not true. In his book, on page 68, the author states that it is a MYTH that steelhead have a large blind spot and cannot see down and / or steelhead have a "cone of vision" that allows them to forward or up, but not backwards or down. The explanation goes on for several pages including diagrams. Might be worth checking out.

troutdude
troutdude
I've read, and own, many fishing books. Until now; I've never seen any expert say that fish can look down (at least, not without "tail finning" as described above). So, thanks for mention Dr. K's book Fish Face...I'll have add that one, to my collection and investigate. :thumb:

P.S. Found it online, will have to get a copy. Thanks again.

what fish see book.jpg

BTW...hope that we haven't hijacked your thread too much Seahawkfan. :blushing:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
:popcorn: excellent thread.

S
Seahawkfan
troutdude said:
I've read, and own, many fishing books. Until now; I've never seen any expert say that fish can look down (at least, not without "tail finning" as described above). So, thanks for mention Dr. K's book Fish Face...I'll have add that one, to my collection and investigate. :thumb:

P.S. Found it online, will have to get a copy. Thanks again.

BTW...hope that we haven't hijacked your thread too much Seahawkfan. :blushing:

Na, actually having a good time watching folks argue Semantics about Trout Vision.

So any who, still wouldn't mind reading about other folks techniques on how they troll for trout. Heck, it doesn't even have to be at Hagg.

F
fish face
Semantics? Seeing how a trout sees is important. Just kidding and Trout dude is right, we are kind of rude hi jacking your post.

F
fish face
If your a nerd like me then you read the preface of a book. And in the book What Fish See the author claims that this will be the most technical fishing book you will read. Boy is he right. However, the most interesting topic is the color shift. And Sehawkfan that is important while trolling. In other words, what color (lure) looks like at different depth in different color water. Fish are NOT color blind.