Salmon trolling rods

M
martin s.
Time to purchase a new salt water salmon rod, north river, loomis, lamiglas, north fork, st. Croix, ETC... Whats best and why????? lets hear your opinion... Thanks, Martin S.

Irishrover
Irishrover
martin s. said:
Time to purchase a new salt water salmon rod, north river, loomis, lamiglas, north fork, st. Croix, ETC... Whats best and why????? lets hear your opinion... Thanks, Martin S.
I like my north river rods. 9' and trough enough for 40lbs line. The reason I like those north river rods is their ability to some what control the chinook. 9 foot and stout lets me and who ever else move those chinook away from the motors and into a better netting position. I've used G-loomis and lamiglass both make great rods, but for ocean trolling you do not need a million dollar rod. The one rod I will no longer uses is the Okuma STS. I bought two 10'6" rods I broke one right off and Okuma replaced it, then the other broke. I just put the other one away, for me they are just not a strong enough rods. I still have four Diawa 7' rods rigged with Penn 209 reels. I bough them in 1990. I still use them on the boat for ocean trolling a lot. Those rods and reels are 26 years old and still catch fish just as well as the day I bought them.

M
martin s.
I've heard a lot of good things about north river rods while residing in coos bay. same rod as the w.w.grigg rods out of Canby Or. is that correct. price is great, is the company still in business. and who handles them.

Irishrover
Irishrover
northriverrods.com

Here is their site. Fisherman's Marine Supply in Oregon City used to sell them. I think they still do. Very good rod for the price. I had a couple of G-loomis blanks that a guy in Beaverton made into rods for me. I though they were the greatest, that is until I fished with the North River rods.

S
Spoonplugger1
I think Fisherman's still has the North River rods though I think someone else now makes them, W.W. Grigg closed up 4 years or so ago. They sold the last stock at 3 for $100 if I remember right on salmon/steelhead rods. Bi Mart has a decent rod they had designed by Lamiglas, but it's their own brand. As with all salmon rods, test them with the reel your going to use at the store, a saltwater influenced reel design can have a larger reel foot than a freshwater/inshore influence reel. The rod has to have a larger reel seat installed for the saltwater reels to fit correctly.

Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Spoonplugger welcome to the forum.