Need tips for trolling for trout at Hagg

S
Seahawkfan
Been fishing for trout for many years but never really got into trolling. Bought a boat a few years ago and know want to give trolling a try. So if anyone would like to share some techniques or tips it would be greatly appreciated. Going to Clack for Steel tomorrow and fishing Hagg Friday and Saturday.

Thanks in advance and feel free to PM if you'd like.

Cheers.

O
OnTheDrop
Flat line Thomas lures.... That's all you need to know buddy.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have caught loads of trout and kokanee on wedding rings, these new double whammy ones with the smile blade are killers, trolled nice and slow, maybe with a little bit of a worm on a hook...22102, 22106, and 22107 are my favorites..

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Seahawkfan
Flat line Thomas lures.... That's all you need to know buddy.

Thanks Bro!

I have caught loads of trout and kokanee on wedding rings, these new double whammy ones with the smile blade are killers, trolled nice and slow, maybe with a little bit of a worm on a hook...22102, 22106, and 22107 are my favorites..

Do you use any flashers or blade in front of the wedding rings?

Thanks Guys!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Seahawkfan said:
Thanks Bro!

Do you use any flashers or blade in front of the wedding rings?

Thanks Guys!

sometimes but not always. I never use the old fashioned giant bunch of big blades, either a sling blade or one of the Mac's Flash Trolls are my favorites.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Cleos for Kokes and big Crainbows on Crane Praire and I have been limiting on Rooster Tails at Cleowox, anything bright spinning works don't forget the inflated crawler bank fishing!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I will be south of Sunriver at the end of April through mid May got a boat anyone want to fish game on! Like to meet some of you folks for the opener!

S
SailCat
If you're shooting for numbers, keep in mind that freshly-stocked trout will be in water less than ten feet deep for about two weeks, then move gradually deeper. This is due to being raised in shallow concrete tanks. Consequently, their swim bladder is unaccustomed to the pressure of deeper water and causes them discomfort. it takes about two weeks for them to adjust to deeper water. What you use is less important than finding the correct depth. Also, hatchery rainbows will stick together and roam the perimeter of the lake. This is why you see a group of Power Baiters on the bank suddenly start to get bites, then action will die off while bank fishers further down will start to see action.

On the other hand, if you're trying for larger fish, deep water trolling is fine but count on far fewer hookups. Someone better versed in this type of fishing than I am can give advice on trolling gear to trick the big 'uns.

Have fun out there. HAgg is a great place and even better if you can fish it on weekdays. <G>

B
Billamicasr
troutdude has you covered on the book. I usually look at Amazon and Ebay for book deals, but there aren't very many at a reasonable price after you factor in shipping. Intrestingly, there is one offer of the book from the UK. Funny how books get around.

I met Sep (Sep's flashers) at the San Mateo Sportsman's Expo. For a couple of years we shared booth space with Hi's Tackle Box, who is a big seller of his flashers. Learned quite a lot just by lurking and listening as he instructed others in the use of his gear. I imagine his book will be a very good piece of reference material. He's pretty smart about trolling, especially when referring to Sep's Flashers.

Never been to Hagg, I did read I believe on this forum, you have to get there early to cash in on the action. Have fun!

Just noticed... troutdude's post included at the very bottom, a link to the "Best fishing in America site" at: http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/OR-hagg-lake-rainbow-trout.html#.VRQe2uEjqu9 When you visit that page, look to the right and there is a photo of troutdude with a giant Hagg Lake trout and they allowed the addition of a hot link to this forum, way to go troutdude!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Billamicasr said:
Never been to Hagg, I did read I believe on this forum, you have to get there early to cash in on the action. Have fun!

Just noticed... troutdude's post included at the very bottom, a link to the "Best fishing in America site" at: http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/OR-hagg-lake-rainbow-trout.html#.VRQe2uEjqu9 When you visit that page, look to the right and there is a photo of troutdude with a giant Hagg Lake trout and they allowed the addition of a hot link to this forum, way to go troutdude!

Correct; it is usually hottest in the "o'dark thirty hours" of the morning. At least that's been my experience.

Thank you Bill. I do WISH that was my hog in the pic. But, I did get to watch that brute nail that guys lure--and leap straight up, and out of the water with it! He was in a toon, with a 5' UL rod and something like 6 lb. test line. He wrestled it for quite a while; as many of us bank maggots were whoopin' and cheerin' for him.

We had to convince his buddy--also out in a toon--to row over, and help this friend out. He did; and hitched their toons together. Then he rowed both toons, and the beast, back to shore so we could net it for him. It was a TRULY EPIC 45 minute battle of skills! It all happened at the Hagg opener, 3 years ago.

I was also at the Lake Stop Store, when he got it weighed in. The monster was a 1-year hold-over, 29" long, and 11.32 pounds of brute monstrosity!

S
Seahawkfan
How far back from the boat do you usually troll?

troutdude
troutdude
Last year, during the opener, my sidekicks GF flipped a wedding ring (and 1/4 sliding sinker) right behind the boat. She added purple glitter power bait, to the hook. No joke. She got 2 nice 16" hold-overs--with that rig--right about where Sain Creek drops OFF, and into the lake proper. The fish were all nipping at the surface, that day (it was snowing and cold that day). But with this warmer season, and the sunshine, you may want to try farther back to drop your OFFering a little lower. But, I'd still stick to the top 10 - 20' of water. Trying different depths, will also help locate the biters too.

P.S. The flat line dudes in the video above, like to have one OFFering skimming through the upper 5' feet, while another OFFering is a bit deeper.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I like to get the gear back 50 to 100 feet...sometimes more.

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
I like to get the gear back 50 to 100 feet...sometimes more.

Thanks Roger; I forgot to mention that. I've done well, at those distances. I've also done well, at 200' behind too. Just have to experiment, until you "find the zone".

F
fish face
Good book and a fast and easy read. However, they wrote that fish don't have the ability to look down (or maybe it was up). Not true. Fish have amazing sight (and smell) which it reason why color, shape, and speed when trolling is important.

S
Seahawkfan
Killed them today at Hagg. By just experimenting I found a trolling rig that I could not keep the fish OFF of. The sheriffs said we had the best stringer they had seen all day, and that was at 430 pm. While I was getting my yearly inspection done by a young officer 2 more had to come over and check out the fish and were inquiring about how and where we caught them.

Real nice day.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Seahawkfan said:
Killed them today at Hagg. By just experimenting I found a trolling rig that I could not keep the fish OFF of. The sheriffs said we had the best stringer they had seen all day, and that was at 430 pm. While I was getting my yearly inspection done by a young officer 2 more had to come over and check out the fish and were inquiring about how and where we caught them.

Real nice day.

excellent....

troutdude
troutdude
BAM!!! Mission accomplished!

Willing to share, how you did it? Got any pics?

S
Seahawkfan
Old school wedding ring with a treble hook tipped with worm with a single blade in front. That blade was the ticket. I tried 3 others with no success that (other) blade was the only one attracting them on that particular day at least in my little boat. My Son was taking all the pics on his camera so unfortunately I have none to share.