Need some boat help!!!

C
chrisohm
I am looking around for a small, cheap, light weight boat. My problem is I have a Kia Spectra. I am wondering if a car rack could help to transport a small 2 person boat? I am looking for suggestions as to what boat would be best and what type of rack system is going to work to solve this conundrum....

C
capblack
you should be able to find a nice 12 ft aluminum with a decent motor and trailer for $500 to $750 right now on cl. you wouldnt have any problem pulling that, just put a hitch on your car. roof racks are a pita in my opinion and then you would have to haul everything in your car.

M
Mad dog
I once saw 2 guys launching a driftboat with a VW bug on the North Umpqua! I would suggest a trailer hitch and a small, lightweight trailer....You'll never even know you are towing it!

C
chrisohm
These are all valid ideas but my overall concern is safety. Since I have never towed a boat or trailer before I am not sure about the dynamics. I am just looking for some good suggestions. If I go the hitch route what should I look for in a trailer? I would not want to go beyond a 12' aluminum boat for sure. Also, I would only do this for simple bay fishing/crabbing or some fun on a lake. Maybe the Willamette.

C
capblack
what you want to look for in a trailer is one with a nice looking boat on top. joking aside, bearing buddies are nice, as are galvanized trailers, if its painted, look for signs of rust, i prefer the trailers to have 12 inch rims at least, not the little cookie sized tires. more or less a visual inspection is fine. as far as the boat is concerned, 12 ft aluminums are VERY versatile. you can do a lot of different fishing from one with little money invested. they are plenty light enough for your car. i could pull my 12 ft valco around the driveway with one hand.

G
GDBrown
I have found my little drift boats to be very easy to tow and launch even with a small car. My "Lazy Drifter" is only 200lbs and is easy to row and fish from although I don't use a motor with it. My "Little Blue Drifter' is even easier as it can be rowed from either seat and has lockable storage. It's also for sale! If you would like to try it out for a while send me a PM and we can discuss that possibility. I would stay away from car top boats as they do have a tendency to be disruptive to the aerodynamics of your small car in a cross wind and they are difficult to load and unload alone, especially if it is windy! I know, I've been there and done that. If you would like I can send you photos of them so you can see them. If their not what you are looking for then a 12' aluminum may be your best bet but keep it on a trailer. If you have trouble with the backing up challenge then do what I did until I learned, disconnect it from the car and move it around by hand.

GD

P.S. It may help if we knew where you planned on using it and what kind of fishing you want to do with it.

Last edited:
C
chrisohm
So far in my search, there are no roof racks for cars that can handle a small boat. Kayaks and canoes, yes. I can not get too heavy with a hitch/trailer system since I am not sure of my vehicles specs regarding towing capacity. I would not want to ruin my brakes or transmission. Not sure if I would have to modify my exhaust either but then I do not plan on driving my car into the river! Another point is that I am in my planning stage and just fishing for information. I will get more serious next spring during tax return season! I may even be daydreaming here but it would be fun to have something that can get my son and I away from the bank. He loves a boat ride, big or small!

I have to say thank you all so far for your input!

T
Thuggin4Life
I am an expert on 12' boats. with what you want to do with it i wouldn't get the rinky 12'ers. i'm on my 3rd 12' alujmium boat right now. great crafts. go welded if possible. 9.9-15hp. i have the 12' version of that western that hawk shared. love it. i had a 12' valco that was just a touch smaller. trailer has already been said. look it over real good for signs of rust and wear and tear. bigger tires. deffinantly not the little ones. pick it up. my trailer i manuvure by hand. and i live in a tight culdesac and have to back it in uphill by hand. don't even have a jack for mine. shorelander trailers are great. little boats are best with a keel roller or 2 and bunks not roller bunks for the sides. make sure the lightsd work but for 50 bucks you can rewire a trailer with led lights that are totally submersable. soot me a pm with any boat you might be looking at. my buddy got a small 12' boat that he got because it was light and was worried about towing. tiny little thing he never grew to love. good luck. also i might keep an eye out if you had a price range and a location.

E
eugene1
The tongue weight of the trailer needs to be less than 200#, but a small boat should be fine. I find that my 15' boat is pretty easy to launch by myself, so I get out lots. A 12' boat should be even easier. Thuggin and the other replies have some good advice on trailers. Remember that a small boat can just be disconnected from your Kia and moved around by hand, no problem.

Car racks are gonna be a PITA for launching an aluminum, glass, or wood boat. Trailers are easy to master after a few outings, and a boat like a 12-14 footer will provide plenty of options for you and your boy. My boat has been on bays, the Columbia, the Snake, the willy, and lakes.

Good luck,

C
chrisohm
Thuugin:
Not worried about location, I get great gas mileage! I am looking into the $500-$1000 range, boat and trailer. Depends on what goods are attached to the boat. As of right now I do not have that cash but will in February.

eugene1:
Saw that same hitch but cheaper on another site! I have seen quite a few hitches and looked up some Kia forum info as well. Maybe I will save the car rack idea for a kayak..