Need some advice

S
stanster
I retired about a year ago andmoved to Florence, Oregon. I have always wanted to take up fly fishing, but thearea where I spent the first 62 years of my life wan't really right for it, so I took up saltwater fishing andhave had some succes with it.

I obviously need to purchase some fly rigs. My first is going to be rod and reel for trout, mostly in Westen Oregon. Which is best generally, 1 4wt or 5 wt? Or does it really make much difference?

I've identified some outfits that will certainly work within my budget:

An Orvis Clearwater rod and reel for $295;

A Winston Passport rod with various Cabela's reels ranging from $240 to $295;

A Cabela's TFO [Temple Forks Outfitters] outfit for $249;

A Sage Vantage Rod with a Reddington Surge reel for $350.

I fanyone of youhas experience with these or knows anything about them, be it positive or negative, I would appreciate the information.

Thanks

E
eugene1
Hi Stanster,

I can't help you with specific info, because I'm in the same boat. Thinking about getting my first fly set up. My buddy says there are decent used options available that will work well, and cost a lot less. Just something I've been thinking about too since I don't want to plunk down too much money just to get started.

Best,

brandon4455
brandon4455
5wt is good for general trout a 9ft rod would be perfect, ive casted an orvis clearwater and they are excellent rods, also look into echo rods they are a great value and customer service is great! any ross reel would be good to have also. make sure you get a floating line matched to the rod &reel wt for general purpose fly fishing (nymphing,dry fly fishing,swinging soft hackles etc) if you wish to fish lakes purchasing a sink tip line is ideal.

eugene, if your afraid of spending too much money try cabelas (thats what i have),echo or redington..you can find setups under $200 and sometimes under $100 bucks, my rod was on sale for 35 bucks and is regular 89, you dont need anything fancy but if you have the extra money a good setup would cast a lot better and generally feel better in your hand

S
stanster
Thanks to both of you guys for responding. Brandon, I have rea dmany of your posts and learned a lot from reading them. I know diddly squat about fly fishing, but have fished enough inmy life to have a pretty good b.s. detector and all of your posts ring true to me. This is saying a lot for a fisherman!!

Your info on the Orvis Clearwater outfit is extremely helpful. i have been trying to talk myself out of it, for some unknown reason ,but the photos on the catalog just look so damned good.

Eugene, you might think about warranty also. I am a retired attorney and of course actually READ the warranties on each cos. web page. Winston and Temple Forks have unconditional life time warranties. Orvis has an 25 yr unconditional warranty, which for me is lifetime, given my age. I was unimpressed with the wording of Sage's warranty. With any of them, if you buy used - no warranty.

Also, pick up a Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog. I have spent many an entertainingmoment sitting on the throne in my...library reading this catalog. It appears there are great choices for about any budget there.

Thanks again guys

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
Just don't over complicate your first setup. a basic 5wt 3 or 4 pieces rod(make travel and hiking easier).. proper size reel and a double taper 5wt floating line is perfect for learning.. once you get a feel for casting, want more distance or accuracy change lines later. If you find after 3 days of solid fishing on a 5wt and your arm is tired you either caught a lot of fish or need to work on casting.. don't let 1oz of rod/reel weight take 100 bucks out of your pocket..

Ohh and I have several TFO rods and reels and have zero complaints about anything.. and most big brand lines will do well if you clean them and take care of them until you find out more exactly what you want in your next setup

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
cheap flyrods are like cheap attorneys... usally get the job done... but its a lot harder and never pretty...
scott A4 flyrod
lampson konic reel
scientific angler mastery series flyline... all made for fishermen, by fishermen-

E
eggs
halibuthitman said:
cheap flyrods are like cheap attorneys... usally get the job done... but its a lot harder and never pretty...
scott A4 flyrod
lampson konic reel
scientific angler mastery series flyline... all made for fishermen, by fishermen-
free late night advice is like a free late night girl you pickup at the bar... you are almost guaranteed to catch something you will keep around for a lifetime!

J
JHawk
I'd disagree with the double taper fly line. I'd be more inclined to go with a weight forward line, like the Rio Grand or, even better, the Royal Wulff Ambush. The head of the Ambush line is only 20' long so you don't have to cast far to get the entire head past the rod tip. That will help load the rod quicker and give you a better sense of what the loaded rod feels like. The triple taper of the line is supposed to roll the line out and give a soft presentation. The Rio Grand has a 40' head with the same weight as the Ambush. My 8YO nephew has the Rio Grand and he throws it really well, despite being a newby.

M
mezzfin
I know I'm a transplanted east coaster, but if you are looking for quality at a decent price with an iron-clad guaranty, I think you have to consider this: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68702?feat=2136-CL2&attrValue_0=Green. Customer service is second to none, and I own both the one linked here and the Orivs Clearwater. Love them both, but the LL Bean is $90 cheaper :)

E
eggs
JHawk said:
I'd disagree with the double taper fly line. I'd be more inclined to go with a weight forward line, like the Rio Grand or, even better, the Royal Wulff Ambush. The head of the Ambush line is only 20' long so you don't have to cast far to get the entire head past the rod tip. That will help load the rod quicker and give you a better sense of what the loaded rod feels like. The triple taper of the line is supposed to roll the line out and give a soft presentation. The Rio Grand has a 40' head with the same weight as the Ambush. My 8YO nephew has the Rio Grand and he throws it really well, despite being a newby.
I have the ambush line and love it, my favorite line for sure but would not have wanted to first learn to haul or double haul with it.. learning roll cast would be easy but I would want to to use a standard DT to learn the basics and proper mechanics of rod loading and tight loops

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
my personal rod is the orvis clearwater 9 foot 5 weight,and i absolutely love it,it has a nice medium action and great for longer distance casting.its reasonably priced and a great outfit,no need to spend a ton of money on a rod then decide you dont like fly fishing.
Also orvis has an outstanding warranty program,i cracked my rod on the river and with a week and 3 days they shipped a completely new rod.

T
Trout
Lots of good advice in the thread

- keep it simple with a 5wt or 6wt rod 9ft long- but I do recommend a fast action or sometimes called a tip action rod. Much easier to cast as a beginner
- Go with a floating weight forward line
- a decent reel -- this is for trout so you don't need dual disk brakes etc.
- get a travel case that holds the rod with the reel attached

E
eggs
Ya I take that back a bit.. I would have been fine learning on a WF like Rio gold that is a bit longer head and smoother casting .. I have that line as well.. I just think the aggressive ambush short scandi-style head wouldn't be the easiest to learn 60-80 foot over head casts without frustration but just my opinion. I was trying to keep my advice simple but as you can see opinions can make these things complicated quick... I just keep trying to to back to how I learned and what I liked and didn't like.

J
JHawk
eggs said:
Ya I take that back a bit.. I would have been fine learning on a WF like Rio gold that is a bit longer head and smoother casting .. I have that line as well.. I just think the aggressive ambush short scandi-style head wouldn't be the easiest to learn 60-80 foot over head casts without frustration but just my opinion. I was trying to keep my advice simple but as you can see opinions can make these things complicated quick... I just keep trying to to back to how I learned and what I liked and didn't like.

I'm certainly no expert, and everybody's a bit different. I'd agree that the Ambush might be a little tougher to cast if you're going out 60-80 feet, but most casts aren't that long, are they? Unless you're on still water, most casts should be under 35-40 feet, which is about double the head length of the Ambush, versus the 40+ head length on the Rio Gold which wouldn't be fully out of the reel at 35-40 feet out. I agree that both have their place; I've got the Ambush and the Rio Grand lines myself for my 9' 5wt Sage Vantage.

E
eggs
Yea I just have no clue if he plans on creeks or bigger rivers or tidewater searuns or lakes and figured until he knows for sure to stay as middle of the road.

brandon4455
brandon4455
eggs said:
rio gold is a damn good fly line.i can roll cast a size 8 mega prince with a #12 possie and a thingamabobber a mile with that stuff.

V
Van
Just brought home a new Echo Carbon 4wt today with a matching 4/5 Ion reel. Woot! It is just plain sexy.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Van said:
Just brought home a new Echo Carbon 4wt today with a matching 4/5 Ion reel. Woot! It is just plain sexy.

those ion reels are a bargain , i have not casted the carbon but heard really good things about it

V
Van
Doh! Wth was i thinking? That post was supposed to be on Gunga's lightweight rod thread. lol.

I have grown really fond of Echo rods. That is my 3rd one. I am thinking of one more to replace my 6wt. My 6wt was my very first fly rod and is a Reddington Red.fly 2, which is a great rod for someone just picking up the art for the first time.

Anyway, they are great rods Brandon, you should keep them in mind when you go rod shopping again.