N Umpqua newbie

M
mtnplzur
Last week (Feb 10-12) I traveled to OR to fish the N Umpqua for the first time around the "Camp Water" section at Steamboat. Fished swinging various flies with a sink tip for three days. I failed to even get a tug from a fish. The river was flowing about 3500 cfs at Winchester and was relatively clear 6+. I am just learning the patterns of winter steelhead and would appreciate any pointers.
Thoroughly searching the water for evidence of fish made me wonder if the winter steelhead run will be later in the month after a significant rain event; were they loaded up in the Steamboat Creek; or were they holding deeply in fast water that required different tactics.
I plan to return for another attempt.

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's a tough stretch of river and you really need to know it. They say you need to put in 1000 casts before you can expect a fish up there. I've never fished it in the winter but I'm sure there are fish up there with many more to come over the next month or so. I highly suggest using a guide for one day up there. They'll show you the spots and maybe get you into a fish but you'll get a good idea of how to fish it. Having a guides knowledge for one day is the only reason I've caught summers up there. Best of luck to ya.

H
halibuthitman
ditch the swinging for winters, Ive killed em up there on black stonefly nymphs and black wool headed sculpins dead drifted.. last fall I followed 3 spey casters through 2 runs and hooked up 3 times in water they just pounded... Intrueder flies are for summer or spring fish, natural streamer patterns produce winter fish.... stoneflies produce every fish... everyone seems to skip the shallow skinny water and fish the water they "need" or "like"... 2 feet deep and moving fast into a turn is where I found most of my fish the last few times I was down there-

M
mtnplzur
I actually did try some olive and brown sculpin patterns on a slow swing. (Sculpzilla) I did not consider nymphs since there is a bobber restriction, but I am sure I could have dead drifted down and across. I assume that you cannot utilize a typical method with a weight above the fly to get it down. Instead you would have to use a heavily weighted stonefly nymph or consider using the sinking leader. I also suppose that these winter fish have seen enough of the other small fish species in the river that they will consider feeding on small sculpin patterns. I also tried several of the egg head pink/purple flies from the local shop dead drifted using my switch rod. If I utilize a guide on the next trip, I would appreciate some recommendations in order to find someone that specializes on the flyfishing water of the N Umpqua.

F
FishFiddle
Beautiful but tough river up there. I fished it with Tony Wratney last summer and thought he was a class act and I learned a bunch. Hopefully I'll be headed back there soon. You can check his site at summerrun dot net.

M
mtnplzur
Thanks for providing Tony Wratney's name. I checked his web site and he certainly looks very qualified to guide around Steamboat. I really like the area and the regulations to protect the character of the river. I am more in to the experience of fly fishing in beautiful places. Catching fish is gravy. I actually live in South Carolina and my fishing travels have led me to this place. I expect to return very soon and improve my results.
I am thankful for the help.........

M
mtnplzur
Thanks for the help. I certainly have heard of Scott Howell and actually Fished several of his Intruders on the N Umpqua. I will certainly see if I can utilize him if he is available.

M
Mad dog
mtnplzur said:
Thanks for the help. I certainly have heard of Scott Howell and actually Fished several of his Intruders on the N Umpqua. I will certainly see if I can utilize him if he is available.

As a matter of a fact, I saw Scott on the river today! :D

M
Mad dog
mtnplzur said:

If Scott is not available I would Make this suggestion. Mike and Darren are personal friends of mine and are extremely talented flyfishermen! They are locked on to North river winter fish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PDnsyZ6TI

Different tactic's.....ya.... Scott, Darren, or Mike all fish winters from boats like this....deadly!!!

Scott Howell and Mike Boyd do guide the fly only water as well!

M
mtnplzur
Thanks for the link to this video! It really feeds my passion to fish the N Umpqua. It looks like these guys were fishing the lower river with indicators and egg patterns/small jigs? The restrictions on the fly fishing water prevent this tactic?? What are the best flies to dead drift on the fly water without indicators for the winter fish? If I am reading correctly, beads, plastic or yarn can be tied into the fly to create "egg patterns" and these are legal to use on the fly fishing water in winter?? Soft rubber eggs tied into the fly (Otters Rubber Eggs) cannot be used (considered bait). No other weight or attachment can be placed on to the leader, but sinking leaders are allowed. Only a single barbless hook can be used year round, (no dropper flies). Pegging eggs to a leader above a hook are not allowed?