Multi-hook

L
LingFace
Are there any restrictions on using three hooks. I am thinking to bait for multiple species on one line. I will be fishing on the south Santiam and green peter, foster. I live in Lebanon, I am 37 and sometimes have a toddler along. My thinking is I could maybe put something on for Bulhead to rest on the bottom, yellow perch a few feet off the bottom, maybe something for bass or trout a little higher. I fish from the bank and from a 12 foot rowboat.

Could the same idea work for bass/salmon on one line. or, can I try multiple lures/bates on one line for salmon in case one is preferred on a given day. My work schedule gives me more time to dream up weird fishing ideas than to actually fish, unfortunately.

troutdude
troutdude
Page 12 in the reg book, appears to have the answers. You can look it up online.

B
bubs
Thinking outside the box, nice.

Read the regs..if you're asking basic regs questions like this, one wonders what other important info you have also missed..

Multiple presentations on one setup is a fairly common approach while plunking for salmon/steelhead (which I believe is done on S Santiam), but wouldn't work well or at all when casting & retrieving (eg with spinners). Maybe with bait, but I think your energy is better spent going hard with one bait before changing to another, rather than fussing with a complicated rig with multiple baits (I mean for salmon/steelhead).

On the other hand, the multi bait rig (for perch bullhead etc) you describe could be worth a shot in the reservoirs. It's an interesting idea (though locations/times where that many species are actively feeding in one spot are rare). My instinct tells me that having multiple rigs pre-made to switch out on one rod (rather than fished at once), or having multiple rods rigged differently and ready to go (I've found so many cheap used rod/reels at Goodwill etc for like $5-10 so don't say it's too expensive) would be the more efficient use of time/energy.

If you have success with an oddball rig let us know!

P
pinstriper
bubs said:

Read the regs..if you're asking basic regs questions like this, one wonders what other important info you have also missed..

Multiple presentations on one setup is a fairly common approach while plunking for salmon/steelhead (which I believe is done on S Santiam), but wouldn't work well or at all when casting & retrieving (eg with spinners). Maybe with bait, but I think your energy is better spent going hard with one bait before changing to another, rather than fussing with a complicated rig with multiple baits (I mean for salmon/steelhead).

On the other hand, the multi bait rig (for perch bullhead etc) you describe could be worth a shot in the reservoirs. It's an interesting idea (though locations/times where that many species are actively feeding in one spot are rare). My instinct tells me that having multiple rigs pre-made to switch out on one rod (rather than fished at once), or having multiple rods rigged differently and ready to go (I've found so many cheap used rod/reels at Goodwill etc for like $5-10 so don't say it's too expensive) would be the more efficient use of time/energy.

Especially with a 2 rod endorsement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L
LingFace
bubs;n599203 said:

I am sure I have much more to learn from the regs. However as a truck driver who has many more pages of regs to follow at work than that tiny little odfw publication, I can attest to the fact that the lawyers who enforce these things don't have the same concept of communication that the rest of us have. That's why even after I've read what seems to be plain in a book, I don't take for granted that what the game warden thinks it means and what I think it means are remotely similar. Always good to have a second opinion. Also, it's not a forgone conclusion that having found a paragraph about three hooks implies there isn't one I didn't find. That's why I asked if there were ANY restrictions. You all know more than me. That's why I ask. I also am glad you answered the second part as to the practical reality of having multiple species in the same spot. My thinking is more along the lines of using multiple baits on a line is along the lines of catching whichever fish not so much catching them all at the same time.