molalla river?

A
adambomb
I hiked and fished my way over a mile upstream from wagon wheel park yesterday. I lost count on trout around 15 or 20, mostly 6-10 inchers but I did land a handful of tasty looking 12-14 inchers. But the highlight of the day was spotting nice Chinook. He was in a tiny little piece of water that ran around this log, and was probably 14" deep. I had already cast a couple of times before I noticed him sitting right in front of me. He was covered in snag wounds, and looked like he was starting to turn also, so I didn't bother him. I have been on the water in the lower Mo, about 100 hours this summer and it was the first salmon I've seen. Felt good to know that they are still hangin in there.

W
wrestlerstud32
where is wagon wheel park at. i may go this afternoon

O
osmosis
Go south from Oregon city on hwy 213, when you get past the town of mulino you will cross the molalla river just before getting to liberal. Wagon wheel park is immediately after the bridge you cross the molalla with, on the left hand side (away from the golf course).

W
wrestlerstud32
ok.. so i need some advice with catching trout in the molalla. i know that roostertails are pretty good lures. just every time i go out to the ivy st bridge i get skunked pretty much. any advice will help.
adambomb: what do you usually do to catch the fish?
thanks

H
hendrixfan
I think he mentioned a Panther Martin earlier in this thread. I have done well with a black body/brass blade homemade spinner.

W
wrestlerstud32
does anyone know where in canby i could buy lures and bait.
thanks

H
hendrixfan
Fred Meyer, north end of town. Fyi believe the Molalla is closed for bait now.

Last edited:
J
joemomma
I spent a couple of hours working at Elk Park on the Molalla yesterday and it is low! I would head up river early or late (to avoid the swimmers) and fish deep shaded pools for cutts! Just beware of the steelhead :D

A
adambomb
joemomma said:
I spent a couple of hours working at Elk Park on the Molalla yesterday and it is low! I would head up river early or late (to avoid the swimmers) and fish deep shaded pools for cutts! Just beware of the steelhead :D

Where is Elk Park? I've never heard of that one.

J
joemomma
adambomb said:
Where is Elk Park? I've never heard of that one.

West of Mulino airport on Mulino rd, it belongs to the Elk's B.P.O.E. I think ya got to be a member, not sure though! Very nice place!

A
adambomb
This morning I fished the first mile downstream of Wagon Wheel park. Not quite as good as the upstream mile, but I quit counting again around 15 or so feisty cutthroats. Not far below the 213 bridge the river gets really narrow (10'-15'), and about 12"-18" deep. That's where I found most of the fish, tucked in behind rocks and hanging out in the faster riffles and seams. Also, if anybody else is catching trout on Panther Martin spinners, I would look into buying some from their website. They OFFer many styles and colors that I have never seen on a store shelf. And if you buy $50 worth (3.89 each for #2's & #4's) they throw in free shipping!:clap:

M
Markcanby
I live in Canby but havent the Molalla in years. Used to catch tons of smallies on segmented rapals in black with gold or silver bellies. Most hits were topwater. Good catches from Wagonwheel all the way to Canby

T
TyHarp
mollala river fishing

mollala river fishing

yeah i just went fishing at the mollala river. ill tell you knights bridge sucks. theres some secret spots on the mollala but it wouldnt be secret if i told you lol. i caught today a very small mouth bass and a pretty good size pike. pike looked much different from the ones in the tualatin. very clean.