Molalla River comes through

L
Letemgo
I've been waiting for fishable water and enough steelhead over the falls to warrant a trip to the Molalla. As of Sunday, there were fewer that 1500 steelhead over the falls at Oregon City which means probably somewhat, by most estimates, less than a hundred to two hundred fish in the Molalla system. My friend Darrel and my son, Jake and I put the boat in at the Canby Gun Club access (membership required) and spent the next 7 1/2 hours stopping at every spot where we could get a reasonable drift from the gravel bars. About mid-morning, Darrel got into a bright hen somewhere in the six to seven pound range on a green and orange corkie. This was his first drift rig caught steelie and only his second steelie. I'm not sure who was more excited, Darrel for obvious reasons or me for being able to get him there. Just shortly before his hookup, he asked me how to tell the difference between the bottom and a fish. After giving him an explanation that seemed to me less that adequate, he continued fishing. Now he knows the answer to his question.

We took out at the Canby City park. Just for your information, in case you decide to tackle the Molalla, there is a log jam again at the old logging railroad bridge. You would encounter that if you were to put in at Wagon wheel Park at Hwy. 213 where it crosses the river. We put in below that point but ran into two guys in a boat that had to portage over the logs. they said "it was no fun".

• WP_20160207_006.jpg
Reactions: ChezJfrey
O
OnTheDrop
Love that river. Have a better pic? Almost looks like a Coho!

E
eugene1
Awesome getting them in your local river!

ps. Looks like a steelie to me.

O
OnTheDrop
eugene1 said:
Awesome getting them in your local river!

ps. Looks like a steelie to me.

Yeah, just can't tell if I'm seeing rocks near its mouth, or what. With the hint of blur, it looks like thick white gums.

Im sure it's a Steely, but hey either way a nice fish for the M! Spent a lot of time up the corridor there.

S
skunk
Looks like steel to me also, way to pull a needle from a haystack. The Mo is fun for sure.

Artwo
Artwo
Congrats to some of the home town guys......................

Nice fish...........

S
Steelheader4Life
I wish they would open some of my local rivers/creeks for catch and release! I have a few spots I go to watch them jump some falls but that's all the action I get without driving to the coast.

EOBOY
EOBOY
pretty fish. I have a friend with some land on the M. I've thought about giving it a shot, maybe I will in the near future.