Millicoma

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'll be spending a few days next week in Coos Bay and I'm thinking of hitting the Millicoma. Does anyone have any advice?

I've found some nice water at a little park up the East fork but never touched a fish. I wandered around the west fork aimlessly.

It's been years since I've been there but I remember it as a beautiful little stream. Looking forward to getting back.

I'll be fly fishing and my boys will be bobber fishing with jigs.

Any help is appreciated....public or PM.

Thanks!

Jamie

M
Mad dog
Jamie, if the flows are up the West Millcoma clears faster than the east Millicoma but typically the east fishes better IMO. Nesika park typically fishes pretty good, I think they acclimate the smolts there for the east. The last 2 seasons both forks have been pretty good! I think in 2011 harvest data was about 1,700 tagged on the east and about 1,600 on the west....pretty damn good for small strams like that! Don't overlook the south fork coos either!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks you guys. I really appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

P
plumb2fish
Jamie,
I have a good friend that lives in Coos Bay, I will PM you his #. I am gonna be down there probably Sunday if the rain let's up.
Merry Christmas

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck Jamie. Let us know how you, and the boys, do down there.

Merry Christmas!

C
cams-76
i tried fishing on the east fork this weekend and no luck. it seems like everyone that was fishing the river was casting bobbers in the really fast rapids, is this how this river is typically fished?

T
Tred
Cams-76 bobber n jig seems to be the most used method, but drift fishing etc works too. Did you see anyone catching fish?

C
cams-76
No didn't see anyone catching on the w or e fork

P
plumb2fish
Small, tight lipped streams. If you are proficient fishing ultra low flow and Crystal clear water you will have a good time down there. If you are accustomed to river fishing for winter steel, you will probably leave emptyhanded and frustrated.
BTW, some of the locals didn't take kindly to "valley" folk catching fish when no one else was....we simply fished for the ones we couldn't see instead of the one everyone had pounded on for several days in.

Last edited:
T
Tred
Heading down that direction for the last day of 2012. I have two spots left on my tag and see if I can fill it. All I can say is the Locals hate to see some out of towners come show em up, but thats just how it works sometimes. We had an older gentleman last year come down as we were pulling in some steel. He left after the 3rd fish and said a few f this f that with the attitude he owned the river. I can only say each river has its go to set ups, but a little tweeking can be the difference in a 1 fish day in a multiple fish day.

T
Tred
Well I have never seen so many guys on the lil river, but managed to get into a couple. Lets just say there are some big ol steel this year running. I am still shocked on how many guys, but I guess nothing shocks me anymore. Use to keep this on the down low, but it doesn't matter anymore I guess.

troutdude
troutdude
There is no such thing anymore, as a tight-lipped body of water. With the advent of books like, "Fishing in Oregon" and "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon". Then the institute of the Internet. Secret fishing holes, have largely taken the proverbial hike. Not to mention that you were, fishing on a Holiday that nearly everyone has OFF from work.

I'm happy to see, though, that your diligent efforts reaped a bountiful reward!

M
Mad dog
Tred said:
Well I have never seen so many guys on the lil river, but managed to get into a couple. Lets just say there are some big ol steel this year running. I am still shocked on how many guys, but I guess nothing shocks me anymore. Use to keep this on the down low, but it doesn't matter anymore I guess.

So far it has been a fewer but bigger fish season....doesn't surprise me though....2 years ago we caught a lot of 1-salt fish on those rivers!

Lot's of guys fishing this year! After the easy fishing of the last two seasons maybe some tough fishing will thin some of them out!