Deal I learned in Germany

D
DonF
Stationed in Germaany back in the late 60's and had a deal happen I haven't seemed to learn from. Say that because i haven't tried it here but seem some have. Was fishing in a lake for GI's and not doing any good so went to the stream leaving the lake, shallow little sucker. didn't do anything there either but then it was awful shallow. So put a bobber on the line to keep the baif off the bottom and let it drift and suddenly started catching fish! I seldom ever fish for anything other than catfish and crappie anymore but most the crappie I catch are with a slip bobber. Gonna try that with cat's this spring in the John Day. Get the bait just off the bottom and let it float with the river. if nothing else I'll cover more water. last time I fished for trout, lot of years ago, I was on the Santiam east of Detroit res. Wasn't doing any good so took off the weight and added a light weight one that let the bait drift down the river and started catching fish. From the time I was really small and started fishing, we'd always fished on the bottom and caught fish. Now I'm remembering, my dad at Clear lake used to go out to the left of the lodge and cast out to where we couldn't go with the boat. he found out to catch the fish he had to slowly reel back in close to the bottom with less weight. Huh, it was there all the time and I just didn't remember it!

Casting Call
Casting Call
Santiam south/east of Detroit by the first bridge you drifted over what they call today is the "refrigerator hole" FYI Tony

Reactions: DonF
troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Sometimes a slow retrieve is the ticket for strikes.

And dropping only a worm--when/where bait is allowed--into pockets under drop OFF's also catches lots of trout.